Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    I find the less-than-24-hours schedule and single entrance slightly demeaning...though it's better than nothing at all. And truthfully, I know that shoplifting is a concern. Late-night shoplifting is a concern in any 24-hour store...no matter location...so I could imagine reduced hours was done a lot for that reason.
    That they opened in Detroit and don't just have a walkup window with bullet proof glass should make you thankful and not worry about "demeaning". It is the price you pay for the very high density of thugs and criminals in the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    let the shoplifting begin
    Its a documented fact that most shrinkage is internal

I actually grew up close to the original Meijer "One Stop Shopping" Thrifty Acres at Kalamazoo/28th Street in Grand Rapids. Glad that this Gateway store is open and that they seem to have done a nice job on the place, from the reviews. I certainly hope they keep it clean and safe and that folks will venture south of 8 mile to shop there.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Proximity to bus stop sketches it out some. The neighborhood to the SE isnt much of a neighborhood anymore. Empty lots & abandos but still, not an area I would select to live. Corner at State Fair and Woodward is another kind of market. Store stands a chance though. It is probably the cheapest option for quality food and other items in the city. People in Hazel Park and Ferndale who like Meijer probably go there instead of the 14 mile store.
    I just don't see too many people from Ferndale going there. Its still Detroit and once you cross that line, the crime rate jumps exponentially and the police don't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I just don't see too many people from Ferndale going there. Its still Detroit and once you cross that line, the crime rate jumps exponentially and the police don't show up.
    I think there will be a strong effort by Detroit to deal with the crime issue, case in point there will be a police mini-station in the plaza

Has anyone taken any pictures of the new City of Detroit Meijer yet? Down here, I've heard that Meijer is going to build a "somewhat-scaled-down" store in Flat Rock at the intersection of two residential streets! Plus, I've heard on Wiki that Meijer is planning on opening their first Wisconsin locations next year, is that true? Plus, are any of their stores in Indiana and Kentucky open 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    That they opened in Detroit and don't just have a walkup window with bullet proof glass should make you thankful and not worry about "demeaning". It is the price you pay for the very high density of thugs and criminals in the population.
    That's why I said "slightly." Because first impression was..."Really...one entrance." But I get why.

Anyway, the main reason I was writing was because I actually got to go there first hand after work today. I talked about the single entrance, but to give it a break, it is a VERY large entrance. Probably the size of 2-4 entrances that go into other Meijer stores. So it is nice to see that they were conscious of crowd control. The store is very nice inside, and seemed to have everything I would expect. Inside, everything feels "normal" [[though, the electronics section is sectioned off at the front of the store...which is understandable for security reasons)...and I like the look and arrangement of items better than the Royal Oak and Rochester Hills locations. It was super easy getting in & out of the lot [[for me, at least) with so many entrance/exit points.

This may be the only Meijers that isn't open 24 hours a day though.
    Some of the locations in the Chicago area aren't open 24 hours. I know the one in Orland Park isn't.

I looked at the website and only found the Columbus location as Ohio's only non 24 hour Meijer. There are five locations in Illinois that are not open 24 hours as well, they are in Evergreen Park, Berwyn, Melrose Park, Orland Park and Niles, the other 15 Illinois locations are open 24 hours.

Has anyone ever seen mannequins at a Meijer before? Cuz I saw some in the back of the new store today.

I have also never seen so many employees in a dept store at once in my life. I swear there was over 100 blueshirts buzzing around. And the parking lot was completely full the entire time I was there. Plenty of cops hanging around. And yes, there were Ferndale and Hazel Park people shopping there too. The neighborhood is so excited, they are actually going out of their way to stop in and spend money. I know I did.

Happy Day.

Maybe there are a lot of Ferndale people who never cross 8 Mile, but I don't know them.

I like K&G... just brought a pair of shoes there. They carry discounted business and casual clothes etc. mens and womens.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As a sidebar, in addition to the Meijer, Detroit's first K&G Fashion Superstore and Petco have opened with far less fanfare.

Great news overall. I prefer Meijer over Walmart and have had to go to the 12/ Telegraph or 96 Middlebelt locations up to this point.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-27-13 at 08:29 AM.

Will you be making your 'five-finger' discount selections shortly?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    let the shoplifting begin

I have preferred the two-entrance stores as I can decide if I am just doing groceries to go in the 'grocery' side door to avoid the extra walking... oh well. At least now I can do less driving to get to a Meijer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    That's why I said "slightly." Because first impression was..."Really...one entrance." But I get why.

Anyway, the main reason I was writing was because I actually got to go there first hand after work today. I talked about the single entrance, but to give it a break, it is a VERY large entrance. Probably the size of 2-4 entrances that go into other Meijer stores.

I heard that. I hear there's a Tim Horton coming up on Davison off Dexter. For sure they will need bullet proof glass sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-27-13 at 08:29 AM.

I beg to differ CP. Sadly, crime was high at that Kmart in Detroit [[7 mile and Meyers) thus it closed. I stopped going about a year before it closed. One incident I recall clearly was a Detroit Public Schools math teacher murdered in that Kmart parking lot towards the end of their time there. There were several car jackings and what not. A friend of mine was robbed at her car. I will try to pull and post the link for slain high school teacher.

The Home Depot has higher security. They check your bag against your receipt, so far so good. I shop there often when I need home improvement or other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Kmart operated two stores in the city 24/7 and I don't remember hearing of any this stuff you're talking about. Granted, one of those locations is now a Home Depot and the other I don't think is 24/7 now, I don't remember any news coverage of any crimes being committed in the parking lots of those stores.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-27-13 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I beg to differ CP. Sadly, crime was high at that Kmart in Detroit [[7 mile and Meyers) thus it closed. I stopped going about a year before it closed. One incident I recall clearly was a Detroit Public Schools math teacher murdered in that Kmart parking lot towards the end of their time there. There were several car jackings and what not. A friend of mine was robbed at her car. I will try to pull and post the link for slain high school teacher.

The Home Depot has higher security. They check your bag against your receipt, so far so good. I shop there often when I need home improvement or other stuff.
    Thanks for the correction. I hadn't heard of any of those events. I used to go there all the time with no problem. Sad that a person can't go shopping without some worthless thug threatening their lives.

^^^ Yeah the murder at that location was 1997-98 I believe. The man was one of my kids HS math teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Its a documented fact that most shrinkage is internal
    That is so true. The last retail position I had, had a simple method. Stuff people wanted went out with the trash at night and stowed behind dumpsters. No one to report it to cause managers did it too.

Did forget to congratulate Meijers on supporting our city, albeit on the border. I wish them to "live long and prosper".

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Did forget to congratulate Meijers on supporting our city, albeit on the border. I wish them to "live long and prosper".
    The rumor is Meijer may build another on the Redford HS site if so that will be the real test on support.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Anything that keeps Detroiters spending their money IN Detroit is a good thing. BTW, as someone who lives out of town I'd love to see some pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    The rumor is Meijer may build another on the Redford HS site if so that will be the real test on support.
    Thats no rumor.
    http://newsroom.meijer.com/news/meij...an-whole-foods They own the site.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast