Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Any people would not agree. LeDuff is probably brilliant although he's made a few misteps.Just on Friday, the NYTimes ran an OP-ED he wrote about Detroit. He is very respected nationally. But many people here only look for standard-issue journalism and they like it real light like. LeDuff is actually heavy weight hidden behind a clown face. And come to think of it, that may be why people deep down fear clowns.

^^^ Great points. Love that last sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Any people would not agree. LeDuff is probably brilliant although he's made a few misteps.Just on Friday, the NYTimes ran an OP-ED he wrote about Detroit. He is very respected nationally. But many people here only look for standard-issue journalism and they like it real light like. LeDuff is actually heavy weight hidden behind a clown face. And come to think of it, that may be why people deep down fear clowns.
    And thus, you support LeDuff's [[who should theoretically be a non-interventionist, non-bias journalist) attempt to botch this election by suggesting this idiot with a nearly identical name to Mike Duggan run for mayor?
    Last edited by 313WX; July-28-13 at 08:41 AM.

^^^ I agree. I am not following LeDuff around this corner. I don't find it funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Yes, he does have a boatload of talent. My disdain for what he does, however, has nothing to do with "heavy weight hidden behind a clown face." The problem with LeDuff isn't a few "missteps;" the dude has no ethics. He does everything journalists get accused of doing -- obscuring crucial facts in order to tell the story HE wants to tell while injecting his own opinion. That's not to mention that little matter of plagiarism...another "misstep" that seems to get glossed over. There are plenty of fine journalists in this town who carry the "heavy weight" without the clown show, and without ripping off other people's work -- and they do it without "cutting corners" in order to tell a better story. I suppose from a pure entertainment standpoint, LeDuff is more fun to watch than Scott Lewis was. But is that what you want from reporters? Most people claim otherwise. If you want good investigative journalism, there are plenty left in this town: Christine MacDonald, LL Brasier, Ross Jones, Joel Kurth, Jim Schaefer and many others. Two good TV reporters just left Detroit recently in Lewis and Bill Proctor. All are examples of journalists who regularly uncover wrongdoing while still maintaining the ethics everyone SAYS they want from reporters. If you want a clown show, where important elements of the story are omitted because they aren't as entertaining -- or where a man who initially stated he wasn't interested in running for mayor is cajoled into it because it would be "funny" -- then I suppose LeDuff's your guy. There's no question he has talent, and would be a top-notch reporter...if he had ethics. But he's more interested in becoming famous than chronicling what's happening in Detroit during one of the most critical periods in this city's history. I will say, however, that it's working for him. Charlie's true talent is realizing that nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public.
    Last edited by dookie joe; July-28-13 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    Yes, he does have a boatload of talent. My disdain for what he does, however, has nothing to do with "heavy weight hidden behind a clown face." The problem with LeDuff isn't a few "missteps;" the dude has no ethics. He does everything journalists get accused of doing -- obscuring crucial facts in order to tell the story HE wants to tell while injecting his own opinion. That's not to mention that little matter of plagiarism...another "misstep" that seems to get glossed over. There are plenty of fine journalists in this town who carry the "heavy weight" without the clown show, and without ripping off other people's work -- and they do it without "cutting corners" in order to tell a better story. I suppose from a pure entertainment standpoint, LeDuff is more fun to watch than Scott Lewis was. But is that what you want from reporters? Most people claim otherwise. If you want good investigative journalism, there are plenty left in this town: Christine MacDonald, LL Brasier, Ross Jones, Joel Kurth, Jim Schaefer and many others. Two good TV reporters just left Detroit recently in Lewis and Bill Proctor. All are examples of journalists who regularly uncover wrongdoing while still maintaining the ethics everyone SAYS they want from reporters. If you want a clown show, where important elements of the story are omitted because they aren't as entertaining -- or where a man who initially stated he wasn't interested in running for mayor is cajoled into it because it would be "funny" -- then I suppose LeDuff's your guy. There's no question he has talent, and would be a top-notch reporter...if he had ethics. But he's more interested in becoming famous than chronicling what's happening in Detroit during one of the most critical periods in this city's history. I will say, however, that it's working for him. Charlie's true talent is realizing that nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public.
    +1 to this post, 100% correct.

And to be fair, the NY Times saw his BS for what it was and sent him packing back to Michigan. That speaks more about the public in Michigan than America as a whole.

Yet just last week the New York Times published his article about Detroit on the editorial page. And last month the New York Times reviewed his latest book at length and with praise.
    Do you read that to mean that America's greatest paper "sent him packing?"

As to LeDuff personally putting the ringer in the race- it appears, if you follow the story,starting somewhere around July 12, LeDuff was uncovering a plot in Napoleon's campaign and LeDuff was the first Detroit journalist to confirm who the ringer is. And then, in his style, he did a sardonic story with the ringer. As he he has with a lot of jerks around town. In Charlie's stories the jerks usually reveal all their jerkiness to all the world.

This will be one weird primary. Pretty sure I am clear on who I am voting for but I was disappointed that a meeting sponsored by a local church that only four district candidates showed up.

Doubt I am voting for Sheffield but must say it was cool she walked the neighborhood today.My dogs [[entirely contained) did scare the crap out of her and her supporters.

I don't think Charlie LeDuff has "a boatload of talent" and I don't think he is "brilliant" He is just good at buffoonery.

Just before this Mike Dugeon incident, he was reporting on a store that has been cashing checks for people that are not even in their name, including two checks that were supposed to go to people on that consent decree board. He's all in the store asking silly questions of the owner and asking if the FBI have been to visit them yet. Then he shares with us that he was asked to stop because he is interfering with a sting operation. Too late - damage done! And why would you tell us on TV that the police have a sting operation going on there?

Whether it's Duggan or Dugeon is it really important, as long as it's not Bonaparte, Barrow or et al? These candidates are the same old same old bunch of unqualified wannabees. Are they really Democrats? As far as we know none of them have published photos of their private parts or enjoyed the delights of the Sex Industry. All they talk about is speling and what they will do to Detroit if they get erected
    Last edited by coracle; July-30-13 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Whether it's Duggan or Dugeon is it really important, as long as it's not Bonaparte, Barrow or et al? These candidates are the same old same old bunch of unqualified wannabees. Are they really Democrats? As far as we know none of them have published photos of their private parts or enjoyed the delights of the Sex Industry. All they talk about is speling and what they will do to Detroit if they get erected
    Brilliant!

I hope Dugeon wins the whole damn thing! Then let Orr fire him. The whole Detroit politi-scape would finally hit rock bottom and FINALLY maybe will be able to do a "re-start".

The Duggan lawn signs from my block were stolen in broad daylight today. Three of them.

Default Mike Dugeon casts vote for Mike Duggan on November ballot

You couldn't possibly make up a story like this Mayoral election. It's so incredulous that it blows my mind.

Who won the election?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3