Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Well, indeed be sceptical about being pulled over if there is nothing to pull you over for! Were you speeding? No. Car not roadworthy? No. Wanted for something else [[arrest warrant)? No. Ran a red light? No. Alcohol or drugs affecting your road skills? No... then be careful who's stopping you.
    You don't need to do anything wrong. If they want to stop you, they'll find a reason, even if it's just your license plate being dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    That is amazingly creepy.
    It's much more common than you know. Most of these cases are hushed up. You can thank the Unions for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It's much more common than you know. Most of these cases are hushed up. You can thank the Unions for that.
    Right.....Blame the unions for all of what ails Detroit.

Police unions nationwide have been instrumental in protecting bad cops from prosecution and departmental discipline.

So these are cops pretending to be civilians pretending to be cops?

This is going to give criminals a bad reputation. :>P

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i figured something about this story was strange.
    wonder if this will hit national or international headlines?
    'detroit, so bad, even the cops rob you.'
    That hits my funny bone. But then I liked the T shirt...Detroit where the weak get eaten. Maybe should be amended to beaten.

I am a serious DETROIT YES person but dang we do get odd ball crazy stuff bad press all the time. This is beyond insane though.

Crooked politicians, crooked cops, molester teachers, outright standard criminals. Sigh!

Good news is they are a small percent of this friendly embracive city. I took a walk today and I find an almost old world charm. For people who know me I am greeted as Miss Sue, people wave, men hold doors, shop owners know customers by name. I am not joking, out of towners are always stunned by how friendly Detroit is.

...and, you're the expert on this, right Meddle? As sickening as this situation is, blaming the unions for something a bad cop may have done is pretty funny. The cops arrested the bad cops, they all belong to the same union. You just need a whipping boy don't you?

Please don't blame unions. Union workers don't want lousy co workers either. There are protections provided that need to be adhered to and it's kind of like our courts, not all bad folk get dumped or prosecuted.

In case you wonder, I've never been a union worker but for the most part unions have my sincere admiration

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Please don't blame unions. Union workers don't want lousy co workers either. There are protections provided that need to be adhered to and it's kind of like our courts, not all bad folk get dumped or prosecuted.

In case you wonder, I've never been a union worker but for the most part unions have my sincere admiration
    Thank you. Unions always get the blame when things go south. Nobody was complaining about unions when they helped establish the middle class in this country. Everybody was riding the train then.

Police unions nationwide have been instrumental in protecting bad cops from prosecution and departmental discipline.
    As someone who used to represent police in civil rights suits...100% agree with this. I had a federal judge actually laugh when I [[naively) noted in an excessive force case that the internal investigation cleared the officer. Once I learned the process and dug deeper into the investigations over the years, I understood why he laughed.
    Last edited by TexasT; July-28-13 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    As someone who used to represent police in civil rights suits...100% agree with this. I had a federal judge actually laugh when I [[naively) noted in an excessive force case that the internal investigation cleared the officer. Once I learned the process and dug deeper into the investigations over the years, I understood why he laughed.
    I guess its something to the phrase" thin blue line"

This may not be pertinent, but where I live the cops drive Dodge Chargers, not Crown Vics anymore.

I hope they catch these guys soon.

There are good points and bad points to Unions. All of them. Just like everything else in American society. You need to sort it out. Without Unions this country would have gone down the drain a long time ago. There needs to be restructuring, but not the elimination of Unions. I think many Union workers would agree to that. Too much fat at the top, too much charging of fee's to pay office people and too little going to the person doing the actual work. But Unions are an essential part of what this country needs for worker protection, if done correctly.

Union wages aren't generally out of line because of what the person doing the work is receiving, but becomes too costly because of how many other people are collecting money overseeing the money they collect.

Thought i heard a few hours ago, that a second officer.....not from Detroit .....was just picked up.

Just what we do not need.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    There are good points and bad points to Unions. All of them. Just like everything else in American society. You need to sort it out. Without Unions this country would have gone down the drain a long time ago. There needs to be restructuring, but not the elimination of Unions. I think many Union workers would agree to that. Too much fat at the top, too much charging of fee's to pay office people and too little going to the person doing the actual work. But Unions are an essential part of what this country needs for worker protection, if done correctly.

Union wages aren't generally out of line because of what the person doing the work is receiving, but becomes too costly because of how many other people are collecting money overseeing the money they collect.
    Balanced commentary overall

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

There's more going on then "too much fat @ the top", old guy. Unions should have stopped protecting "loser" employees years ago. There are protected employees that have made careers out of being out on medical leave, and otherwise abusing the system. They drive up the cost of production, make American made products uncompetitive, and are a big factor contributing to the demise of American manufacturing. You either CAN do the job, or go find something else to do. No free rides. If you spent any time in a Union manufacturing facility, you know I'm right. That being said, Corporate America hasn't shown me any love either. Without Unions, your kids would be starting factory work @ age 11. The Unions need to reel in their abuse and adjust their modus operandi just like Corporate America had to adjust their product and manufacturing quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There's more going on then "too much fat @ the top", old guy. Unions should have stopped protecting "loser" employees years ago. There are protected employees that have made careers out of being out on medical leave, and otherwise abusing the system. They drive up the cost of production, make American made products uncompetitive, and are a big factor contributing to the demise of American manufacturing. You either CAN do the job, or go find something else to do. No free rides. If you spent any time in a Union manufacturing facility, you know I'm right. That being said, Corporate America hasn't shown me any love either. Without Unions, your kids would be starting factory work @ age 11. The Unions need to reel in their abuse and adjust their modus operandi just like Corporate America had to adjust their product and manufacturing quality.
    No argument there.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    I just saw on the news that it was actual police, one officer was arrested at the 12th precinct today according to channel 4 news.
    Ahem. No joy in being right on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Ahem. No joy in being right on this one.
    Yah. A DPD sergeant and a St Clair Shores PD veteran. This is absurd. I'm all in favor of Chief Craig cleaning house, kicking butt, and taking names. I also wouldn't be opposed to having Barbara McQuade and Co. sniffing around all of SE Michigan municipalities.

WTF!

Officers from two seperate departments decide to just flush their careers [[and their lives) down the toilet? For what a few hundred dollars?

I cringe when I hear things like this. How low do these men's children feel? Their parents?

Nothing to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Agreed. My brother had a kid at 17 and the only reason that he is middle class today is because he had a union job [[yes, Texas has unions) that paid a good wage. So I am not anti-union at all. But their excesses and abuses need to be reeled in.

Interesting that one is SCS PD. Leads me to guess that neither lived in the city of Detroit. I certainly hope they list their home towns when they are officially charged.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    WTF!

Officers from two seperate departments decide to just flush their careers [[and their lives) down the toilet? For what a few hundred dollars?
    Come on people. Pull your heads out. These are only the ones that got caught. There was another similar case downriver not long ago and there have been others. This stuff goes on all the time. Problem is, a lot of the victims are pushers or junkies who won't call the cops to make a report. Cops robbing dope house is not uncommon. Once in a while they slip up and rob the wrong person -- someone who does complain.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    WTF!

I cringe when I hear things like this. How low do these men's children feel? Their parents?

Nothing to celebrate.
    That, and did they really think this was going to be sustainable?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast