Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Georgia Street Community Collective School Supply Drive

http://georgiastreetgarden.blogspot....donations.html

It's that time again. I know a lot of us have enjoyed donating to this in the past.
    Last edited by Pam; July-21-13 at 05:23 PM.

Pam, thanks for the reminder. The GSCG is one organization I feel good about working with. I appreciate large foundations, but have a hard time donating to them when they have CEO's that are paid upwards of $100,000 a year and have office buildings and personal services that run into millions of dollars a year. I like donating to organizations that put their funds directly into helping the people they're dealing with. Kudos Cub.
    I also love the fact that they're working with teaching kids about growing food. It's a big thing. I find great enjoyment in doing that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Pam, thanks for the reminder. The GSCG is one organization I feel good about working with. I appreciate large foundations, but have a hard time donating to them when they have CEO's that are paid upwards of $100,000 a year and have office buildings and personal services that run into millions of dollars a year. I like donating to organizations that put their funds directly into helping the people they're dealing with. Kudos Cub.
    I also love the fact that they're working with teaching kids about growing food. It's a big thing. I find great enjoyment in doing that myself.
    How sweet! I love GSCG and what they do too! I think I am need of a cub hug. Weird year for us but will definitely make a donation.

Lil' Bump, especially for newer people on the forum that aren't familiar with Georgia Street Community Garden.
    Georgia Street Community Garden - Detroit, MI

PAM Thank you too for what you do. I am a little confused as to the date. No doubt it was stated but like I said we are getting old and fuzzy'

Do you want the dogs and buns in advance? Food no issues, what do you need? We can make a small financial contribution, should we buy stuff or just give money? Sumas

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    PAM Thank you too for what you do. I am a little confused as to the date. No doubt it was stated but like I said we are getting old and fuzzy'

Do you want the dogs and buns in advance? Food no issues, what do you need? We can make a small financial contribution, should we buy stuff or just give money? Sumas
    I don't work there, I just donate via paypal. I would say contact Cub if you have questions. Looks like August 25th is the giveaway date according to the website.

Bumpety-bump-bump!!!

In case you didn't see it on Facebook, we have a brand new mural painted on the side of the Community Center!

GSCC is still in need of donations. Our target this year is 200 filled backpacks. The need grows every year! If you have kids, I'm sure you have seen the list of things that are to be brought to school. If you haven't, check them out at Walmart or any of the office supply stores.

Please either send what you can through Paypal, or drop off what you can afford at the Community Center...8902 Vinton, Detroit, Michigan.

And please...spread the word!

How did everything go this year Blue?

It went very well, Pam! Thank you to everyone who so generously donated!! I could not stay for the whole event, but when I left at 2:30pm, we had given away 180 backpacks! The kids had a great time playing the games [[ring toss, water balloons, and lots more). We had popcorn and cotton candy for them along with the hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and juice. The bouncy houses were a big hit too!

Thanks also to all the volunteers who came to help! I know there were a couple of groups, but my old brain only remembers the kids from Eastern Michigan University....and they were terrific! They brought school supplies for the kids too!!

Again...thank you to everyone who helped out. We could not hold these events without your assistance and your generous donations of money and supplies.

Plant a Seed - Watch it Grow!

Thanks for the update.

Geez, I feel terrible I committed to a donation then August turned awful for us with Ron in the hospital and it got worse from there. Such is life

I will check out GSCC's wish list and see what I can do.

Apologies

Thanks, Blueidone, for the update. We are so glad to know that it all went well and that so many kids got backpacks and supplies....as well as enjoying a fun event.

Kudos to all who donate...time or money...to this great community effort!!

Thanx for bumping this up Pam. I have been shopping some garage sales for gently used backpacks and trapper keepers.

If anyone has some school supplies they need picked up, let me know and arrangements will be made.

Can't think of a better project to donate to.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Thanx for bumping this up Pam. I have been shopping some garage sales for gently used backpacks and trapper keepers.

If anyone has some school supplies they need picked up, let me know and arrangements will be made.
    That is a charming offer, Did drop off some supplies and working on another. Cub does amazing things and wish I could clone him for our area kids.

Did anyone attend the backpack giveaway today?