Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2013 Detroit City Council field of candidates.

Since the News and Free Press don't seem to judge it worthy of reporting.

Also included the file itself in case the link breaks.

And a really easy to review map of the districts.

Over the next few days/months I'll try to make the list more digestable with whatever info I can find.

I'm pretty sure I live in district 2 if not 1, my sister in 1 if not 2 and my dad/brother/where I grew up is definitely district 3.

So I guess those are the three that interest me the most.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMO the city needs to aggressively or the candidates need to educate the voting public on how this will impact thier daily lives and thier neighborhood,it is proably going to be tough revolving from a dictatorship to having a voice.

There was an estimated 8% turnout on the charter vote.

Thanks so much for this info!

Yeah, thanks the info. But I have ask the I did not see anyone on the list that they live on Belle Isle. Why is Belle Isle in a district??
    Guess they are waiting until they build the condo's on the Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Yeah, thanks the info. But I have ask the I did not see anyone on the list that they live on Belle Isle. Why is Belle Isle in a district??
    First, I can assure you that people DO live on Belle Isle, Second, I think the idea is whoever wins in District 5, will be responsible/have a stronger say in matters pertaining to Belle Isle. BRIZEE, nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    IMO the city needs to aggressively or the candidates need to educate the voting public on how this will impact thier daily lives and thier neighborhood,it is proably going to be tough revolving from a dictatorship to having a voice.

There was an estimated 8% turnout on the charter vote.
    What was the turnout for a non presidential election year primary? and election?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Since the News and Free Press don't seem to judge it worthy of reporting.

Also included the file itself in case the link breaks.

And a really easy to review map of the districts.

Over the next few days/months I'll try to make the list more digestable with whatever info I can find.

I'm pretty sure I live in district 2 if not 1, my sister in 1 if not 2 and my dad/brother/where I grew up is definitely district 3.

So I guess those are the three that interest me the most.
    Vince Keenan running in District 6 -- if I still lived there, he'd have my vote hands down.

FYI, he's the guy that launched Publius.

I read a while back that since census workers discovered people living on the island that it has to appear in census tracts, districts, etc.

Hey, the local papers may not have reported who is actually running for council, but they did report that somebody named Jerrod says Monica Conyers is great. Now that's responsible journalism.
    Last edited by poobert; May-20-13 at 09:45 AM.

that was a joke. those peeps living on the island are probably not going to vote.

that was a joke. those peeps living on the island are probably not going to vote.
    Perhaps they're not, but they have a RIGHT to vote, and it is not up to you or I to presume otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Vince Keenan running in District 6 -- if I still lived there, he'd have my vote hands down.

FYI, he's the guy that launched Publius.
    I met Keenan several years ago at the Baltimore Lunch. I was quite impressed. Since then, publius.org has been my hands-down source for researching political candidates. I'll be interested to see if they do anything different to make sure there is no conflict of interest between his candidacy and the site. Since they post publicly accessible info from the candidates, I suppose they won't have to do anything different, but he, more than anybody will have to be ultra-sensitive to potential conflicts.

Here's my results for Detroit's EVIL ward system seven districts:

District 1 A BLACK LEADER

District 2 A BLACK LEADER

District 3 A BLACK LEADER

District 4 A BLACK LEADER

District 5 A BLACK LEADER

District 6 A HISPANIC LEADER

District 7 A BLACK LEADER

Looks like Detroit will not have a white district leader because there no full blown white community in Detroit. However Detroit will get a white mayor.

Correction.

There was a local paper that covered this topic.

The Arab American News last Thursday.

District One [[the northwest corner of the City): Darryl Brown, Marc Cayce, Wanda Jan Hill, Ulice Sherman and James Tate [[I).

James Tate has some popularities with his friends and neighbors in the North Rosedale Park and Grandmont area. He is best chance to keep the seat.

District Two [[the north part of the City): Ervin Bassett, Richard Bowers Jr., John W. Cromer, George Cushingberry Jr., Barbara Herard, Leslie Love, Derrick Muhammad, Carron Pinkins, Kenneth L. Scott, Mark Slater and Hollie Tugwell.

That's going to be very tight.

District Three [[the northeast side of the City): Francine Adams, Russell Bellant, Myron Benford, Scott Benson, Melia Howard, Adam R. Mundy, Wanda Redmond, Eugene Slappy and Dorthea Thomas.

Too close to call! But my eyes of on Scott Benson, Francine Adams, Dorthea Thomas.

District Four [[the east side of the City): Albert Aaron, Helena Blakemore, Bettie Cook-Scott, Ronald D. Diebel, Jessie Lee Fennie, Corey Josef Gilchrist, Khalil Ligon and Andre Spivey [[I).

Andre Spivey has very strong support from this friends in the east side. Bettie Cook-Scott may catch up. But Spivey will keep his council seat.

District Five [[includes Downtown and Midtown): Naomi Anderson, Adam Hollier, Willie McLeod, Attie Pollard, Yusef Shakur, Mary Sheffield, DaNetta Simpson, Brian White and Bonnie Warmack.

Keep your close eye on Mary Sheffield. He has some church folks from Horrace's D.A.B.O. group.

District Six [[the southwest side of the City): Tyrone Anthony Carter, Nina Fawaz, Vincent Keenan, Raquel Castaneda-Lopez, William I. Robinson, Davonte Sherard, Suneil Singh and Mary Waters

Raquel Canstaneda-Lopez has tons of her Mexican Hispanic friends on the W. Vernor business corridor. She could take the commanding lead for the council seat. Mary Water's little problem in court-of-law may put her out in the race.

District Seven [[the West Side of the City): John Bennett, Rob Bennett, Dustin Campbell, William Scott Phillips, Regina Ross and Tonya Renay Wells.

Keep you eyes on the Bennetts and well as the Tonya Renay Wells.

Tom Barrow, Angelo Brown, Tawanza Brown, D'Artagnan M. Collier, Krystal A. Crittendon, Michael E. Duggan, Fred Durhal Jr., Cheryl Franklin, Herman Griffin, Willie Lipscomb, Lisa Howze, Raymond J. Lile Jr., Benny Napoleon, John Olumba, Sigmunt Szczepkowski, Jean Vortkamp, Delores Scott, Mark Murphy, Velina Patterson-Dockery, Deneshea Richey and Percy Ross III.

So far Mike Duggan got the commading lead in the polls, Benny Napoleon is second,Krystal Crittendon is third and Lisa Houze if Forth.

Benny Napoleon and Krystal Crittendon and Lisa Howze are strongly oppose the emergency managers and want Detroit to return back to home rule. Napoleon and Crittendon sneaky problems in the past could lose the Mayor race by August Primary. Lisa Howse is doing very good to stay out the media's attention and could hang on for the August Primary. Mike Duggan has a strong reputation is saving DMC from banruptcy and saving SMART bus system from being non-existant for regional transit. Mike Duggan could be the strong candidate for Detroit Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Raquel Canstaneda-Lopez has tons of her Mexican Hispanic friends on the W. Vernor business corridor. She could take the commanding lead for the council seat. Mary Water's little problem in court-of-law may put her out in the race.
    Mary Waters is actually in District 5.

So far Mike Duggan got the commading lead in the polls, Benny Napoleon is second,Krystal Crittendon is third and Lisa Houze if Forth.

Benny Napoleon and Krystal Crittendon and Lisa Howze are strongly oppose the emergency managers and want Detroit to return back to home rule. Napoleon and Crittendon sneaky problems in the past could lose the Mayor race by August Primary. Lisa Howse is doing very good to stay out the media's attention and could hang on for the August Primary. Mike Duggan has a strong reputation is saving DMC from banruptcy and saving SMART bus system from being non-existant for regional transit. Mike Duggan could be the strong candidate for Detroit Mayor.
    In my very very unscientific poll, I'll estimate that I've been seeing about 10 signs/window stickers for Napoleon for every one of Duggan's.

"Keep your close eye on Mary Sheffield. He has some church folks from Horrace's D.A.B.O. group."

Mary Sheffield is a little too "modelly" for my tastes, and I have a hard time taking her seriously. Take a look @ her home page, maybe it's just me.

District One [[the northwest corner of the City): Darryl Brown, Marc Cayce, Wanda Jan Hill, Ulice Sherman and James Tate [[I).

James Tate has some popularities with his friends and neighbors in the North Rosedale Park and Grandmont area. He is best chance to keep the seat.

District Two [[the north part of the City): Ervin Bassett, Richard Bowers Jr., John W. Cromer, George Cushingberry Jr., Barbara Herard, Leslie Love, Derrick Muhammad, Carron Pinkins, Kenneth L. Scott, Mark Slater and Hollie Tugwell.

That's going to be very tight.

District Three [[the northeast side of the City): Francine Adams, Russell Bellant, Myron Benford, Scott Benson, Melia Howard, Adam R. Mundy, Wanda Redmond, Eugene Slappy and Dorthea Thomas.

Too close to call! But my eyes of on Scott Benson, Francine Adams, Dorthea Thomas.

District Four [[the east side of the City): Albert Aaron, Helena Blakemore, Bettie Cook-Scott, Ronald D. Diebel, Jessie Lee Fennie, Corey Josef Gilchrist, Khalil Ligon and Andre Spivey [[I).

Andre Spivey has very strong support from this friends in the east side. Bettie Cook-Scott may catch up. But Spivey will keep his council seat.

District Five [[includes Downtown and Midtown): Naomi Anderson, Adam Hollier, Willie McLeod, Attie Pollard, Yusef Shakur, Mary Sheffield, DaNetta Simpson, Brian White and Bonnie Warmack.

Keep your close eye on Mary Sheffield. He has some church folks from Horrace's D.A.B.O. group.

District Six [[the southwest side of the City): Tyrone Anthony Carter, Nina Fawaz, Vincent Keenan, Raquel Castaneda-Lopez, William I. Robinson, Davonte Sherard, Suneil Singh and Mary Waters

District Seven [[the West Side of the City): John Bennett, Rob Bennett, Dustin Campbell, William Scott Phillips, Regina Ross and Tonya Renay Wells.

Keep you eyes on the Bennetts and well as the Tonya Renay Wells.

Tom Barrow, Angelo Brown, Tawanza Brown, D'Artagnan M. Collier, Krystal A. Crittendon, Michael E. Duggan, Fred Durhal Jr., Cheryl Franklin, Herman Griffin, Willie Lipscomb, Lisa Howze, Raymond J. Lile Jr., Benny Napoleon, John Olumba, Sigmunt Szczepkowski, Jean Vortkamp, Delores Scott, Mark Murphy, Velina Patterson-Dockery, Deneshea Richey and Percy Ross III.

What is your pick for At Large?

IMO I think Yusef Shakur stands out for District 5.... Sorry I cannot take Mary Sheffield seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Junkin4Life View Post
    IMO I think Yusef Shakur stands out for District 5.... Sorry I cannot take Mary Sheffield seriously
    According to the City Clerk's document referenced in the first post, Yusef Shakur did not meet the petition requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    According to the City Clerk's document referenced in the first post, Yusef Shakur did not meet the petition requirements.
    If that is the case, who would be ideal for District 5?

You're overlooking William Isaac Robinson a little too much here. He stands an excellent chance of taking this district because of his political connections. He worked for Conyers as the senior legislative assistant and his mother Mary Rose Robinson just took a state rep position. I would see this as coming down to Canstaneda-Lopez and Robinson. I think it will be an interesting contest to watch. I'm unsure of Canstaneda-Lopez's position on the EM, but I suspect since her and Rashida Tlaib [[a superhero) are tight that she's not a fan.

I am not sure if Keenan is a viable candidate at this time. Even though he started a great service in Publius, I'll be interested to see what the reaction is for someone who pushed council by district quite strongly to then run for one of those districts. I'll be waiting to see his positions on issues on his website, but at this time his website is unfinished. This is not to trash Keenan in the slightest. I think someone concerned with political participation would be a great benefit to the district.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkin4Life View Post
    What is your pick for At Large?
    David Bullock stands a great chance for At large. Saunteel Jenkins would be my other pick.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Mary Waters is actually in District 5.

In my very very unscientific poll, I'll estimate that I've been seeing about 10 signs/window stickers for Napoleon for every one of Duggan's.
    Sorry for yet another post.. But when you think about how the primary and then runoff works, you have to take into account that people supporting other candidates like Crittendon, Howze, Barrow, etc, would they spin off to Napoleon or Duggan? I would suspect Benny would pick up those votes after the primary. Primaries are non-partisan. So the top two will automatically move on. Assuming that its Napoleon and Duggan [[which is an assumption because I'm not so sure how things will shake out after this gets going) then how many votes do we honestly think Duggan will pick up after all those other candidates are removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Toka313 View Post
    Assuming that its Napoleon and Duggan [[which is an assumption because I'm not so sure how things will shake out after this gets going) then how many votes do we honestly think Duggan will pick up after all those other candidates are removed?
    That's the million dollar question.

- Keep in mind that voter turn out in the city is abysmal, so I wonder if that plays into the hands of Duggan or Napoleon

- Duggan is pretty shrewd. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he gets an endorsement from one of the candidates that gets left off the ballot.

- Also curious to know whether the demographic shifts in Detroit are sizable enough to change tilt the scale one way or the other.

Gonna be interesting.

Voter turnout in Detroit is actually higher than most suburbs in city elections. The idea that 25% is low is a misnomer. Compare it to the suburbs in off-year city elections. It's actually pretty high.

I am concerned though that this election that it would be lower because of the EM and people thinking their vote doesn't matter, which is half true..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast