Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The fact that the winter X games are in Aspen told me that Detroit never really had a chance when the corporate suits at ESPN / ABC / Disney were going to select the host city.

X Games is just a marketing ploy, its all about the corporate sponsors that keep the games flowing. They would rather travel to and entertain in a city list Austin which is ready-made for hosting large scale events and conventions.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Let's face it. Kilpatrick as mayor would had used his gift of gab and persuasion to get the X Games to Detroit. Bing is so detached from Detroit that he doesn't even care about bringing events to the city. Taste Fest, Red Bull Air Races, Movies in the Park, he had cancelled. Be careful no to vote for another "businessperson" to run the city

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Man I really wanted this. Austin was the safe pick, but X games are not safe they're gritty. Detroit was perfect for this.
    That's what the X Games want you to believe, but I don't think they've been "gritty" in years.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Let's face it. Kilpatrick as mayor would had used his gift of gab and persuasion to get the X Games to Detroit. Bing is so detached from Detroit that he doesn't even care about bringing events to the city. Taste Fest, Red Bull Air Races, Movies in the Park, he had cancelled. Be careful no to vote for another "businessperson" to run the city
    Amen. Let's put another Kilpatrick in office. I'm sure there are a few dollars left in the kitty somewhere. We can all sit around being entertained while the till gets emptied. Your generalization is mind boggling.

I've been to Circuit of the Americas, as we did some staffing work for the U.S. Grand Prix there last year. From a pure road racing standpoint, it was a great venue. But it was also hot, dusty, and out in the middle of nowhere, with grandstands that seemed half a mile away from the track [[as is all too common at modern Formula One circuits), and a whole lot of prime space given over to corporate suites and hospitality areas.

I don't know too much about X-Games sports, but from what little I've seen they seem to have a lot more intimacy with the fans than, say, Formula One racing, and a much less mainstream corporate presence. So it will be kind of interesting to see how they stage this kind of event at a racetrack like COTA.

Detroit could hold it's own XGames as stated earlier. We could out do Austin for we have Chicago, Cleveland, Windsor, and other near and somewhat faraway neighboring cities whose residents will come to see. We just need the grassroot people to come up with the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Amen. Let's put another Kilpatrick in office. I'm sure there are a few dollars left in the kitty somewhere. We can all sit around being entertained while the till gets emptied. Your generalization is mind boggling.
    I didn't say that Kwame was an angel. He did not have wings sprouting out of his back. You have to give it to him. He did have that charisma and gift of persuasion to had pull off something like having the XGames events in Detroit. Kilpatrick wasn't the one who had put this city in the state that it is in. This was 60 years of short sightedness, defunked planning and raking of funds that had caused Detroit to be in the condition that it is in. Believe me. I was one of Kilpatrick's biggest critics on this site. However, he was more for the city than, do nothing business man Bing was. Your generation's screwing up this city is even more mind boggling

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Agreed.

I highly doubt any other city put in as much effort as Detroit. I'd bet that Detroit put in TWICE the effort of Austin. Our effort alone showed our passion. I agree that it's best to part company.

The X Games organization is not one that truly appreciates a city like Detroit. They'd rather go with "what's currently hot/trendy" instead of going to an authentic city such as Detroit.

Blessing in disguise.

Hot and trendy like Los Angeles, Barcelona, Spain. Austin TX. is not a typical hot and trendy town. It's a city with hidden Mexican Cartels.

The X Games Org. sought that Detroit needs some financial fixing up.

Chicago is way too trendy and hip to host the X Games.

Charleston, SC. is too quiet.

In 2014 I protest I will not watch the X Games. Detroiters and suburbanites should do the same, too.
    Last edited by Danny; July-18-13 at 07:10 PM.

X Games? Bunch of post-adolescents seeking skull fractures. WHOGAF?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    X Games? Bunch of post-adolescents seeking skull fractures. WHOGAF?
    It's not nearly as exciting as the World Series of Poker.

I've heard that Detroit teetering on the edge of bankruptcy is what did them in.
    And ironically, they filed for protection yesterday. It's all about image, and Detroit's is shot right now, and has been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I've heard that Detroit teetering on the edge of bankruptcy is what did them in.
    And ironically, they filed for protection yesterday. It's all about image, and Detroit's is shot right now, and has been for years.
    I was thinking the same thing. Had to be the biggest factor in their decision.

My friend in Austin who has a friend on the ESPN committee said that Detroit was the clear cut favorite until ESPN visited Austin. COTA is just too turnkey ready to go. They aren't looking to move XGames around like the Olympics; they want a place they can camp out and spend years, like they did in LA. COTA [[not necessarily Austin) provided that stability, convenience and ease [[per my friend).

Even assuming Detroit's trajectory is nothing but up, you can't plan for years down the road. Perhaps now, they can get prime space on Belle Isle. If Detroit gets better over the next five years, will it still be as easy, cheap and convenient to get that space? Same with the other venues. Will it be easy to get between them in five years?

COTA is way outside of Austin and will be largely untouched for years, if not decades.

COTA is actually within Austin's city limits. It seems so far out because it was built in an undeveloped area that was only recently opened up when the SH130 tool road was built. That area won't stay undeveloped for long. On another note, it seems the selection committee was torn between an urban setting [[Detroit and Chicago) and a turn key site [[racetracks in Austin and Charlotte.) I hope Detroit can follow through with their own version of the games. There's no reason this type event should be only an annual event in one location.

Sorry I meant downtown Austin.

I hope that an alternative exhibition can be put together. we'll see. it should also find a way to reach out to metro area youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    grumble grumble, who needs millions of dollars flowing through downtown for three consecutive years. grumble grumble, I just want to relive old glory days on message boards
    Your AARP card is showing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2