Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Plymouth area apartment suggestions?

Hey all,

I got a new job that will require me to move to the Plymouth area, probably in early 2014.

This is probably the area of metro Detroit that I have explored the least and know the littlest about because it's pretty far from me.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience living in a downtown apartment or nearby apartment complex. Since I have a leased car, I'd like to put a max of about 20 miles on my car a day for a commute, so 10 miles there, 10 miles back.

The new job will be right in downtown Plymouth. They're relocating from eastside Detroit.

That means parts of areas like Novi, Farmington Hills, Westland, Northville, Canton, and Livonia could work as well.

My needs:

-Up to $900 a month
    -1 bedroom, 1 bathroom is fine
    -Washer/Dryer in-unit is a major plus
    -Preferably updated interiors [[I'm sick of '80s-era kitchens and appliances...)
    -Quiet or at least not party-central places [[I'm post-college age, don't enjoy partying/drinking every night anymore)
    -The more utilities included, the better

You don't have to answer but what company is leaving Detroit for Plymouth?

How much time do you want to spend in traffic each day? Even going to Novi or Farmington Hills could put you into rush hour traffic every day. The other thing to be mindful of in Plymouth is location in relation to the railroad lines through town. Some of the apartment locations are close to the tracks and there are a lot of crossings through town.
    Last edited by Novine; July-15-13 at 01:03 PM.

Old Village has a lot of affordable small apartments. However be prepared to be living in a 1900's era building and have trains go by all the time. Plymouth is a major intersection for trains meaning it gets more traffic than most places.

Living close to where you work is definitely a good idea. There are far worse places than Plymouth to live.

Reminds me of the Blues Brother's SRO when Jake turns to Elwood and asks something to the effect of 'Do those trains ever stop?' to which Elwood replies, 'don't worry you will get used to it'!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-15-13 at 03:42 PM.

They probably wouldn't care if I mentioned the name of the company, but just to be safe, I won't. But it's a relatively small medical lab.

I was not aware of the train issues in Plymouth, so thanks for the heads up there.

While I never want to be stuck in rush hour traffic, I'm willing to deal with it if it means I can live at a better apartment.

Plymouth is cut into four areas by the train tracks. Just prioritize your search by first looking for apartments in the quadrant that the job is in, then where you have to cross one train track. If your job is off Sheldon you are golden as they have built a grade separated crossing. This will reduce your chance of getting caught by a train.

"parts of areas like Novi, Farmington Hills, Westland, Northville, Canton, and Livonia could work as well"

train tracks are a concern, but don't forget to keep these in mind...

I work in Plymouth and live in Westland right at the border of Westland/Livonia. My drive to work is usually a breeze everyday.