Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    ... but that doesn't mean we take Zimerman's story to have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt either.
    It seem odd that so many that were not on the Jury, did not hear all the evidence & testimony [[glued to the TV set doesn't count), were not there themselves the night it all went down... want to demand "justice", or make judgements about what is reasonable doubt.
    The Jury has spoken. Are there flaws in our legal system? sure, but a number of these "protests" and calls for "justice" might as well get real/honest... Go ahead, say it like you mean it... "Hang Zimmerman!" or "Keep the trial going until I get the verdict that I want!"...

^^^Not my quote above, I was quoting someone.

I wasn't directing my post at anyone in particular, and I realize I'll likely be attacked... oh well, it still seems odd. Maybe we all just need to "vent"...

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Not every law should be a law. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. And every law needs to be applied equally across the board, but is not -- just look at the case of Marissa Alexander, a black woman in Florida who fired two warning shots in self-defense, with neither bullet hitting anyone. She's currently serving 20 years for that crime.

Fair-minded citizens wanting to protest the system does not necessarily equal mob mentality.
    To be fair if you are going to compare cases provide the details.

It was his house, she didn't live there. Her EX had a restraining order against her, she was not suppose to go anywhere near him. The day she gets out of jail for violating the restraining order last time, she goes to his house and tries to kill him.

she was at the house after leaving the hospital. She left the house, passing unobstructed front and rear doors, meaning she could have escaped, went to her vehicle, retrieved a handgun, then went back in the house, pointed it at her ex and his two kids, fired a warning shot, above her ex's head, the ex and both kids ran out the front door, down the street and called 911. She was at the house, and did not call 911. The difference is, she had an escape route and was not being attacked and in fear for her life.

She did not fire into the ceiling,Corey told Brown. “And one of the reasons is because the bullet went through the wall where one of the children was standing. It happened to deflect up into the ceiling, but if it had deflected down it could have hit one of the children.”
    Three month's after the shooting she went back and punched her ex in the eye and was offered 3 years out in 18 month's and said no.

So should we go out and destroy others property because there was injustice in her case?
    Last edited by Richard; July-17-13 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks Richard but your link doesn't quite tell the same story that you posted. Try this:

Marissa Alexander had never been arrested before she fired a bullet at a wall one day in 2010 to scare off her husband when she felt he was threatening her. Nobody got hurt, but this month a northeast Florida judge was bound by state law to sentence her to 20 years in prison.

Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of a toddler and 11-year-old twins, knew it was coming. She had claimed self-defense, tried to invoke Florida's "stand your ground" law and rejected plea deals that could have gotten her a much shorter sentence. A jury found her guilty as charged: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Because she fired a gun while committing a felony, Florida's mandatory-minimum gun law dictated the 20-year sentence...

On Aug. 1, 2010, Alexander was working for a payroll software company. She was estranged from her husband, Rico Gray, and had a restraining order against him, even though they'd had a baby together just nine days before. Thinking he was gone, she went to their former home to retrieve the rest of her clothes, family members said.

An argument ensued, and Alexander said she feared for her life when she went out to her vehicle and retrieved the gun she legally owned. She came back inside and ended up firing a shot into the wall, which ricocheted into the ceiling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1530035.html

Your link says nothing about him having a restraining order --she was the one with the restraining order. Your link also says nothing about her having an intention to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So should we go out and destroy others property because there was injustice in her case?

Are you seriously asking such a dumb question? Who in any of these posts has advocated rioting?

I did not ask a dumb question,you provided an example of a comparison of another injustice like TM as if they were the same.

And every law needs to be applied equally across the board, but is not -- just look at the case of Marissa Alexander,

your words

she did not fire in self defense as your link provides when she went out to her vehicle and retrieved the gun she legally owned.

Nobody is advocating rioting, but when one lumps in another precieved example of an injustice to a case already causing disturbances without all the facts that show neither case has anything to do with each other ,one could view that as trying to add fuel to the fire.

stevenh Guest

At least we dont have this in Detroit.....
    http://www.examiner.com/article/chic...m-of-gang-rape

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Your link says nothing about him having a restraining order --she was the one with the restraining order. Your link also says nothing about her having an intention to kill.
    When you take out a restraining order on someone, that order works both ways. He can't contact you and you can't contact him. In this case, she violated the order by coming into proximity of him.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The evidence, and the statements of everyone involved also show clearly that Zimmerman wholly initiated the series of actions that resulted in Trayvon Martin's death.
    That's not a very sound excuse. Let's assume I see a suspicious person in my neighbor's backyard. I've never seen this person before, and it's possible this person may be up to no good. I see him go around to the other side of the house and as I'm dialing 911, I head outside to see if I can see what he's doing on the other side of the house.

If I am then attacked by the stranger in my neighbors backyard, is it my fault? By your logic I am at fault for him attacking me simply because I walked outside to investigate.

If I'm hispanic and the stranger is black, does that also mean that I was profiling him?
    Last edited by hudkina; July-17-13 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    That's not a very sound excuse. Let's assume I see a suspicious person in my neighbor's backyard. I've never seen this person before, and it's possible this person may be up to no good. I see him go around to the other side of the house and as I'm dialing 911, I head outside to see if I can see what he's doing on the other side of the house.

If I am then attacked by the stranger in my neighbors backyard, is it my fault? By your logic I am at fault for him attacking me simply because I walked outside to investigate.

If I'm hispanic and the stranger is black, does that also mean that I was profiling him?
    I would be much more sympathetic to Zimmerman if Martin had been in Zimmerman's backyard, or his neighbor's backyard, but as far as I know he wasn't.

Martin was walking in what would essentially be the backyard of the apartments.

I think your concept of "backyard" and mine aren't the same [[or maybe our idea of "essentially".)

Given the outcome of this situation, Zimmerman clearly posed a threat to Martin. As a result, Martin is dead. Why was Martin not able to defend himself against this threat [[that because a reality)?

Martin was walking in the backyards of Zimmerman's neighbors. This is an undisputed fact in this case. If Zimmerman posed a threat to Martin, that threat was over once Martin struck him and broke his nose. Zimmerman down, threat over. But then Martin got on top of him and slammed Zimmerman's head on the concrete. That was his mistake, and it cost him his life. Zimmerman had made over 40 calls to 911 in the past year while patroling his neighborhood. He followed numerous suspicious individuals. They are all alive today because they did not attack and try to kill. Tragic event caused by crime in the neighborhood. Listen to Larry Elder's interview with Piers Morgan on CNN last night.

Do you ever have an original thought of your own?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    But the plain truth remains: if Zimmerman - under the law at least a responsible adult - never gets out of his car, as he was told not to, there is no dead child. Zimmerman initiated the action that resulted in Trayvon Martin's death by his hand [[or, more to the point, his gun).

And having worked on neighborhood watch here in Detroit - certainly a more dangerous and crime-filled place that Sanford Fla [[and we were most definitely not armed) - I can't begin to tell you how many rules of a good, effective neighborhood watch self-appointed vigilante "watchman" Zimmerman broke before his incident even started. Including rule #1: don't get out of the car!
    Tell us why you don't think Martin has responsibility? Even if Zimmerman made mistakes, what justifies Martin being aggressive towards him?

Of course we can't hear Martin's story. But what is it that you imagine here? What might Zimmerman have done that caused child Martin to physically touch Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    What might Zimmerman have done that caused child Martin to physically touch Zimmerman.
    Some dude following you and then approaching you could be enough to cause someone to think their life is in danger. For all Trayvon Martin may have known, George Zimmerman could have been another Ariel Castro.

If any of those three girls in Cleveland had fought off Ariel Castro, they might not have been imprisoned for ten years. In the moment, Trayvon Martin most likely didn't know what George Zimmerman's motive was and felt threatened.

Downtown Guest

Default Justice for Christopher [Protest Rally in Grand Circus Park]

**Justice for Christopher Cervini - Detroit**

Peoples Assembly and Speakout

Grand Circus Park [[Woodward and Adams), Detroit

Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:PM

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top...tt-not-guilty/

Interesting article that shows where we are at with these types of issues:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...ter_black.html

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Martin was walking in the backyards of Zimmerman's neighbors. This is an undisputed fact in this case.
    Have you looked at pictures of the townhouse complex? There isn't anything that looks like a conventional backyard there. There is a grassy area with a sidewalk running through it, which presumably is intended for people to walk down. I don't have a sidewalk running through my backyard, and neither do my friends and relatives.

There isn't any dispute about where the incident occurred, but I would dispute that the location is something that a normal person would call a backyard.

I generally think a Justice for Trayvon rally in Detroit is a bad idea. Would be more productive to IDK, write your lawmakers and petition that laws like those in Florida be stricken from the books. If you dont have laws like that a guy like GZ goes to prison. Dont get me wrong. Im all for peaceful protest and the right to assemble but we are seeing violent protests. Detroit is a violent city and when its 95 degrees out tempers flare. Also... Read the article above me.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast