Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I keep hearing how the Joe land is so valuable. Why? It's stuck between Cobo and the Riverfront Apts. and totally devoid of anything other than the river. We can't even get one Condo development off the ground on the far more attractive east riverfront. .
    I don't exactly disagree with this, as we haven't seen much new development anywhere downtown, but it seems to me that the Joe Louis site is at least as well-located relative to downtown than anyplace east of RenCen. I would think that it has as much redevelopment potential for new construction as any other downtown location, with the probable exception of the Hudson's site.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What's there to see?
    That's the point. They announced years ago that they would renovate it for office space to house Ilitch workers. And now, rather than renovate it for themselves, they will get taxpayer dollars for something they said would be done years ago. Hopefully it happens now, without a ton of additional demolitions of other properties.

If you want an example of my opinion on what this new entertainment district will be like look at St. Louis' Ballpark Village that was suppose to be built along with the Cardinals new ballpark which opened in 2006. It was also suppose to be a $650 million development, they'll only be using $100 million in St. Louis, so expect the same in Detroit. Ballpark Village construction finally got under way this past February and will only be one or two blocks compared to the ten blocks it was suppose to be.

I can't imagine that Ilitch will do any different than this, and the construction started seven years after the ballpark opened. I know things move slowly in Detroit so I doubt you'll see any large scale development like you think you will.

None of the ballparks here in Chicago did anything to spur development in the area, outside of a few bars and restaurants and sports stores you won't see much more development.

They should have used the old Tiger Stadium site or the old State Fairgrounds site for the Wings new arena.

Almost forgot to say how fond I am of saying that stadiums and arenas are not owned by individuals or corporations because of what the real estate taxes would be. Hence, they are owned by a governmental unit....

Actually, all this $650 million hype over the Arena district... sure is a lot of land for so little money...

What Ilitch will be judged by is what happens to some of his [[still) existing historic properties. So far we've only heard about the Life Building and the Blenheim Apartments. The bigger issues are the Eddystone and Harbor Light Buildings... I bet they're not even in the arena footprint... and their demo would be a travesty... especially since someone was going to do a rehab on the Eddystone before Ilitch bought it. And then there's also the Royal Order of Moose Building, and more importantly on Grand Circus Park... his Fine Arts Building Facade and United Artists Building/Theatre.

Also... he was given $700,000 in demo dollars for the Madison Lenox... with the stipulation that he had to pay it back if nothing was built to replace it after 7 years [[parking lots don't count)... I do believe the time is up... wonder why we've heard zilch on that??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Almost forgot to say how fond I am of saying that stadiums and arenas are not owned by individuals or corporations because of what the real estate taxes would be. Hence, they are owned by a governmental unit....

Actually, all this $650 million hype over the Arena district... sure is a lot of land for so little money...

What Ilitch will be judged by is what happens to some of his [[still) existing historic properties. So far we've only heard about the Life Building and the Blenheim Apartments. The bigger issues are the Eddystone and Harbor Light Buildings... I bet they're not even in the arena footprint... and their demo would be a travesty... especially since someone was going to do a rehab on the Eddystone before Ilitch bought it. And then there's also the Royal Order of Moose Building, and more importantly on Grand Circus Park... his Fine Arts Building Facade and United Artists Building/Theatre.

Also... he was given $700,000 in demo dollars for the Madison Lenox... with the stipulation that he had to pay it back if nothing was built to replace it after 7 years [[parking lots don't count)... I do believe the time is up... wonder why we've heard zilch on that??
    I don't want to start a frenzy on here, but I did notice something at the UA the other day... the fire escape on the theatre side continues to disappear.

I recall a 'hotel' being part of this planned arena district. There are three standing structures that would fit the bill for a hotel. The Eddystone, Harbor Light [[both of which used to be hotels), and the United Artists Building. They could all be used for hotels. I sure hope one of the former could be returned to their prior purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    That's the point. They announced years ago that they would renovate it for office space to house Ilitch workers. And now, rather than renovate it for themselves, they will get taxpayer dollars for something they said would be done years ago. Hopefully it happens now, without a ton of additional demolitions of other properties.
    I agree with you. My remark was meant to be sarcastic commentary on the lack of progress on the Detroit Life Building - in the 25 years Ilitch has owned it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2