Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mr. Mike's is no more

Sad to report that the well-known watering hole, Mr. Mike's, had a fire yesterday. I personally never went and now regret never going. But my big-time Detroiter aunt spoke highly about it and sometimes still went.

http://www.michronicle.com/index.php...mikes-in-ruins

Sorry to hear that. I had some great times there for a lot of years.

I hate karoake, but Mr. Mikes had those guys that could hit those high notes, like Eddie Kendricks. And they were good too.

In business since 1936 always operating. Bartender hopes they're going to reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I hate karoake, but Mr. Mikes had those guys that could hit those high notes, like Eddie Kendricks. And they were good too.
    Yes....Mr. Mike's had Karaoke Detroit Style, meaning the singers there were basically second line Motown. I haven't been there in a long time, but a group of Mr. Mike's karaoke singers performed at a wedding reception I attended - they were equal to any Temps group in town. In fact, most of them probably are in various professional groups.

I sure hope that the building next door is all right. It's called Mel's Salon, a long-time beauty shop, and on the ground floor is one of my top clothing boutiques, Offin Rivers [[sells fashion for "grown women").

^^^ I went to Mr. Mikes once. Drinks were very stiff in terms of alcohol content and you felt you were back in time with the miniature stage and old-school Karaoake. Yes, I wonder how Mels is doing...? More than just your standard boutique shop, you can find the most unusual fabrics, earthy elegance, one-of-kinds, flowing garments and accessories. They would have to have suffered some smoke or water damage. This is so sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I went to Mr. Mikes once. Drinks were very stiff in terms of alcohol content and you felt you were back in time with the miniature stage and old-school Karaoake. Yes, I wonder how Mels is doing...? More than just your standard boutique shop, you can find the most unusual fabrics, earthy elegance, one-of-kinds, flowing garments and accessories. They would have to have suffered some smoke or water damage. This is so sad!
    Z, Mel's is the beauty salon upstairs. The beautiful boutique that you mention, Offin Rivers - a separate business with different owners - is downstairs.

^^^ That's true but most people reference it all as Mel's conversationally... at one time there were even a group subleasing offering yoga classes. As they share a common wall to Mr. Mikes I cannot see how they escaped damage. Smoke for sure....

Loved that place. Those big booths always made me fell like I was Joe Mannix anytime I took a dame there for dinner and drinks. Even the canned vegetables that came with your meal added some nice kitch to the atmosphere. I'll miss it.

Yeah it was odd that way... I recall the Karaoke stage to the front the one time I went. About the space enough to lay a twin mattress but it was loaded for sound for the singing and merriment!