Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Freeway taggers

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Jeez you're as old or older than I am!
    Hahaha. Yeah, 43 actually ...

maybe a coil of razor wire over the top of all freeway signs [[it would look better than the "tags", and you can still read the sign)? Let the taggers crawl through that shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Hahaha. Yeah, 43 actually ...
    Nah I got ya beat by a few.

It's probably not going to stop anytime soon. In Detroit, private property owners are burdened with cleaning it up. It's not like other places where either painting over or laser removing graffiti is a basic municipal service removed at no cost to the private property owner. It's the way it should be and it's the way to prove to taggers that vandalism will not be tolerated. But because Detroit does not offer this service, people are less willing to deal with the cost of cleaning it up, and it sends a message that any graffiti will survive as long as the building is standing.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It's probably not going to stop anytime soon. In Detroit, private property owners are burdened with cleaning it up. It's not like other places where either painting over or laser removing graffiti is a basic municipal service removed at no cost to the private property owner. It's the way it should be and it's the way to prove to taggers that vandalism will not be tolerated. But because Detroit does not offer this service, people are less willing to deal with the cost of cleaning it up, and it sends a message that any graffiti will survive as long as the building is standing.
    I heard the COD actually can/does levy fines on the property owner if the vandalism isn't removed/taken care of. Can anyone verify that?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I heard the COD actually can/does levy fines on the property owner if the vandalism isn't removed/taken care of. Can anyone verify that?
    https://www.detroitmi.gov/Department...esofCases.aspx

Thanx. I don't see specifically where it addresses spray painting [[tagging). The story I got was a business in Midtown was fined because someone had tagged a visible, outside wall. I found the story a bit far fetched.

When I would drive home from Farmington/I-96 to M-39 North there is a bunch of tags on freeways signs and on parts of the crossover bridge to go north on M-39. Which is super risky considering your like 4-5 stories in the air.

Thanx. I don't see specifically where it addresses spray painting [[tagging). The story I got was a business in Midtown was fined because someone had tagged a visible, outside wall. I found the story a bit far fetched.
    It's probably under "Failure to Maintain Exterior of Property."

That would fall under 'failure to maintain exterior'

That would fall under 'failure to maintain exterior'
    If the story I heard is true, I think it sucks that a business owner not only is constantly battling with these vandals to keep their property appearance up, but that the City levies a fine on the owner, on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetherunit View Post
    While not a Duggan supporter, I give him props for his tough stance on taggers in the past. With sooo much vacant space for taggers, can we get an organized strategy [[district, corridor, rationale for placement, etc.) that promotes the expression without detracting from the beauty of the built environment.
    You Obviously haven't seen the "Write in Duggan" tagged all over the place

If the story I heard is true, I think it sucks that a business owner not only is constantly battling with these vandals to keep their property appearance up, but that the City levies a fine on the owner, on top of it.
    That does happen. What is even more frustrating is when a business cleans up the lot next to them or an alley only to get it dumped in again!

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    They say that baby oil applied with brushes is also good.

I have also considered buying some "Guyton-esque" polka dot stencils and spray-painting polka dots over tags. Would I be arrested or anything?

Just make sure you don't get caught by the wrong tagger They won't be too happy, and by that I mean they will whoop your butt. But I like the idea!

You Obviously haven't seen the "Write in Duggan" tagged all over the place.

Must be people doing some payback. Or people with understanding of irony.

I saw one tag in a photo recently, but where are some others? I don't see them "all over the place."

I heard an ad on the radio the other day for a graffiti removal service. Sounds like a growth industry to me.

Have any Detroit taggers had encounters with the law?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2