Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freeway taggers

Default Freeway taggers

For the last month or so I have seen spray painted tags appearing on signage above our fair cities freeways. How do they get there? Do the culprits climb out over the road risking their lives for a tag? Keep expecting to read about someone falling to their death holding a can of spray paint. Any clue how they manage this feat?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    For the last month or so I have seen spray painted tags appearing on signage above our fair cities freeways. How do they get there? Do the culprits climb out over the road risking their lives for a tag? Keep expecting to read about someone falling to their death holding a can of spray paint. Any clue how they manage this feat?
    Was in the city yesterday and thought the same thing. You can't spray without one hand free. Obviously they are removing the safety cap and shaking BEFORE they start to climb....i hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Was in the city yesterday and thought the same thing. You can't spray without one hand free. Obviously they are removing the safety cap and shaking BEFORE they start to climb....i hope.
    I hope NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I hope NOT.
    I smell a new t-shirt...."Death to all Taggers".

Sometimes taggers use the catwalk on the side facing the freeway signage, but who knows how they could reach the catwalk.

Other than possible accidental death, is there any penalty at all if caught tagging? Alrhough it doesn't look like anyone is ever caught. Is it even noticed by law enforcement and the courts?

Not only freeway signs, I see tags on towers and other real high places. always wondered how they get up there.

To me it's pure and simple vandalism and wanton destruction of property. To me there's nothing redeeming about it at all.

While not a Duggan supporter, I give him props for his tough stance on taggers in the past. With sooo much vacant space for taggers, can we get an organized strategy [[district, corridor, rationale for placement, etc.) that promotes the expression without detracting from the beauty of the built environment.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not only freeway signs, I see tags on towers and other real high places. always wondered how they get up there.

To me it's pure and simple vandalism and wanton destruction of property. To me there's nothing redeeming about it at all.
    Totally agree. It makes the City looks like crap and says volumes about enforcement and control.

I remember seeing this alot in LA. Even after they scrubbed the signs of grafitti, the scars and shadowing would make interstate shields hard to read. I recall reading, one of the most notorious freeway taggers out fell to his death.

Those overhead signs are not static objects. Just one semi passing beneath can shake them hard. They are meant to have some give in the wind. This is a serious risk

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I remember seeing this alot in LA. Even after they scrubbed the signs of grafitti, the scars and shadowing would make interstate shields hard to read. I recall reading, one of the most notorious freeway taggers out fell to his death.

Those overhead signs are not static objects. Just one semi passing beneath can shake them hard. They are meant to have some give in the wind. This is a serious risk
    What a shame! [[his buddies weren't hanging on to him too).

Frankly in the broader perspective I am tiring of all the tagging going on in the city. I've seen historic buildings and homes only abandoned for a short time 'tagged'; spray painted over the doors, glass blocks, leaded windows etc. It's a eye-sore amplifying the blight withstanding the artistic talent you see in some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Frankly in the broader perspective I am tiring of all the tagging going on in the city. I've seen historic buildings and homes only abandoned for a short time 'tagged'; spray painted over the doors, glass blocks, leaded windows etc. It's a eye-sore amplifying the blight withstanding the artistic talent you see in some of it.
    This is all a result of the outside media marketing Detroit as a city with a so-called "clean slate." A "free for all" city where graffiti artist can rain down upon us and do anything they want... to/in the city without repercussion.

I knew this would end up happening and the end result was outsiders [[temporarily) coming into the city destroying property and making Detroit look worse than it needs to. Don't get me wrong, I love graffiti art but like someone said above, it only takes a week before an abandon building becomes a target for graffiti art. Although, the art is great, it makes the property and area look neglected and less appealing to potential investors looking to set-up business. Once it has been painted, then the scrappers are next because that's a sure sign of abandonment.

Although Detroit is an artist haven, the city should look as clean as possible if it wants to lure strong families back to live.
    Last edited by illwill; July-07-13 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    This is all a result of the outside media marketing Detroit as a city with a so-called "clean slate." A "free for all" city where graffiti artist can rain down upon us and do anything they want... to/in the city without repercussion.

I knew this would end up happening and the end result was outsiders [[temporarily) coming into the city destroying property and making Detroit look worse than it needs to. Don't get me wrong, I love graffiti art but like someone said above, it only takes a week before an abandon building becomes a target for graffiti art. Although, the art is great, it makes the property and area look neglected and less appealing to potential investors looking to set-up business. Once it has been painted, then the scrappers are next because that's a sure sign of abandonment.

Although Detroit is an artist haven, the city should look as clean as possible if it wants to lure strong families back to live.
    Give me a break! You call that fire-hosed shit they're destroying buildings and road signs with "great"? We have very different viewpoints on what "great" is. The latest rash of vandalism isn't even close to any kind of art form. It's ass-clowns painting large incoherent words on public places, period.

Honky Tonk nailed it:

"...It's ass-clowns painting large incoherent words on public places, period."

Yep, this is but one of the consequences of this form of 'art': Advertising to the SCRAPPERS! Great! JUST what we need!! I am just fatigued of it.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    ...Once it has been painted, then the scrappers are next because that's a sure sign of abandonment.

Sadly, it's going to take someone falling and dieing here or getting injured for the tagging to ease up a bit. It seems to be on the upswing for now.

What a shame! [[his buddies weren't hanging on to him too).

Give me a break! You call that fire-hosed shit they're destroying buildings and road signs with "great"? We have very different viewpoints on what "great" is. The latest rash of vandalism isn't even close to any kind of art form. It's ass-clowns painting large incoherent words on public places, period.
    Just to clarify, although the post specified tags I was referring to "graffiti murals" on buildings as artwork. I'm not referring to "tags." Taggings aren't artwork nor does it take any talent to tag, vandalize or destroy property. If you disagree and think "graffiti murals" are not artwork then we just disagree...

But I just wanted to make myself clear. Also, too many graffiti murals [[in my humble opinion) tends to look bad as well. The art of "murals" are nice but too much of anything is over doing it. Which unfortunately is the case in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I try not to wish bad on others. But I make exemptions. If anyone wants to join me in applying Vaseline to overpasses I can be reached at BR-549

I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky we are not CA where this happens:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/0...eway_signs.php
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...fic&id=9134125

No yugo fest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    No yugo fest
    Jeez you're as old or older than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky we are not CA where this happens:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/0...eway_signs.php
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...fic&id=9134125
    This would be another benefit to moving those signs into augmented reality by designing vehicles to project them onto a heads-up display for the driver. Taggers couldn't get to them.

Mark my words. This is the future. This will happen.

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have seen a large upswing in freeway sign tagging just within the last few months.

Also in terms of, how the hell did they do that, I want to know how the huge graffiti was done to the west-facing, top floor facade of the old Southwest Detroit hospital.

I can't find any recent photos with the graffiti, but I'm sure those who drive anywhere near that building knows what I'm talking about.

They say that baby oil applied with brushes is also good.

I have also considered buying some "Guyton-esque" polka dot stencils and spray-painting polka dots over tags. Would I be arrested or anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast