Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
Not sure what you mean... I am talking about the contrast of city services and safety as being distinctively different for the downtown populations and venues compared to Detroit neighborhoods [[Rosedale and other areas).

But of course I am not naive to think that crime does not occur downtown.
You are right about the contrast between downtown populations and Detroit neighborhoods. What I'm saying is that even among Detroit neighborhoods, there are areas with relatively low crime in comparison to others. Grandmont Rosedale is symbolic in that it's a relatively stable, beautiful neighborhood with almost no blight and crime levels that are competitive with downtown. It's still one of the remaining enclaves of sustainable middle- to upper-middle class neighborhoods in the City that has high likelihood of long-term survival.

And so when crimes like the one which occurred are reported as having taken place within Grandmont Rosedale, it has a very different meaning than when it happens in Warrendale. Obviously it shouldn't happen anywhere, and I'm not trying to take away from the importance of trying to reduce crimes.

I'm just saying that if this is happening in Grandmont-Rosedale, then it's a sign that the many efforts -- much have which been successful -- are failing. And this is a very different kind of problem, because it implies that our efforts are fruitless. In contrast, when these incidents happen in other areas, it still holds out hope that the very efforts that are working in G-R can be replicated in other neighborhoods to improve their situation. "The medicine is working...." if you will.

tl;dr - Grandmont-Rosedale is much more like Downtown than other neighborhoods, and the city services they receive there are very high. This kind of crime in that neighborhood is very different message than it is in Warrendale.