Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes, I am trying to step up my shopping with YOBs but in point of fact both are kinda pricey. But YOBs deserves my business more per my penchant towards mom and pop stores over chains and so I go even if it costs more for certain things. I like some of their cut turkey greatly. WF is just too high for their meats.

Tell me about it, I cannot deal with food 'elitism', period. I worked in Farmington Hills and Southfield for years and detested the Whole Foods out there on Orchard Lk. rd. Very snobbish.

Trader Joes was a sane alternative for simpler ingredient packaged foods which I eat when busy, etc. But no I don't do much organic veggies, but I am eating veggie more... even juicing which is the first stop and only stop for some. Far better than no fresh produce.

Working with teenagers from time to time I note many eat no vegetables or fruits whatsoever. None. Now a visit to WF will not change that... it's too far of a leap. Eating better starts from learning about basic nutrients then deciding what and where you can do better at your level.

I've really must go to this Honey Bee place, it sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Honey Bee is the best. Have done a drive by of WF but didn't stop. But then I have never shopped Trader Joes either. Did try a Starbucks once, nasty stuff. Food shouldn't be elitist.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-13 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    The opening of Whole Foods is bittersweet. On one hand it's great to see this investment in midtown and all the great products that the store offers, the people it employs, and the diversity of the customers. Ye Olde Butcher shop tho is a great store that also employs locals and is locally owned. Each time I have been inside YOBS tho after the opening of WF it has been dead. Barely anyone inside shopping. I fear it's days are numbered.
    YOBS days are numbered. I stopped shopping there once Whole Foods opened. I was never a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well it's official Whole Foods is here in the D. I certainly can't afford to shop there for everything but I have found a few things I really like, such as their own brand Guacamole dip. Yum. Far better than TJoes. I found one brand of coconut milk in a carton cheaper at WF as well -- cannot recall the name.

What are some of your experiences?
    Favorite thing: Hotties at the smoothie bar and the food bar.

I like the Mom and pop stores too. My husband is fabulous with remembering names and details. He really gets the top treatment. He knows whose in school, kids names etc etc. He also notes who hires local. It's fun to invite people to local events. The only chain store I frequent is Aldis at Alter.

Anyone try Arise bakery. It is a Caputin project. Great baked goods.

I like the Mom and pop stores too. My husband is fabulous with remembering names and details. He really gets the top treatment. He knows whose in school, kids names etc etc. He also notes who hires local. It's fun to invite people to local events. The only chain store I frequent is Aldis at Alter.

Haven't heard of it. What are the specifics?

Here's their website [[On The Rise Bakery):

www.cskdetroit.org/bakery/

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Okay, I'm sold.

What are "Hotties"?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What are "Hotties"?
    Beautiful women.

I say this partly in jest, but only partly. The increased presence of beautiful women feeling safe running their errands in the city is an economic indicator diametrically opposed to the "canary in the coal mine". We cannot be a world class city when 50% of the population doesn't feel safe living here. The next progressive indicator is women jogging alone in the city.

Yes, I say this with great reluctance and am sure I will evoke all sorts of reactions regarding class-ism. I acknowledge the insensitivity of this as one of the unspoken "elephants in the room", if you will. That said, if Detroit wants grow into being a vibrant city again, it can't do so without people of all backgrounds. And if only from a statistical perspective, the largest class of minority among 700,000 residents are single women.

Their increased presence is one indicator of a shift toward a more competitive and attractive economy.

On the Rise Bakery!!! It's awesome!!!

Beautiful women.
    Oh......... I've had those before..... [[Geez, what a dope! I'm sitting here thinking to myself Hotties, Hotties, a cake? Is it ethnic? I'm fifty shades of red right now, LOL!)
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-06-13 at 07:58 PM.

Oh......... I've had those before..... [[Geez, what a dope! I'm sitting here thinking to myself Hotties, Hotties, a cake? Is it ethnic? I'm fifty shades of red right now, LOL!)
    I like ethnic cake, too

I like ethnic cake, too
    Hey, hey, hey! The ethnic cake is only for me. You can have the yuppie cake. LOL.

Better then La Colmena?
    About the same. IMO...
    ^^^ I still have to go to Honey Bee. Never been. Looking forward to it......
    Huh? You do know Honey Bee is La Colmena, don't you? Tell me, are the tomatillios better at Whole Foods? Do they put limes on sale 20 for $1? It kills me all this fuss over Whole Foods when Honey Bee/La Colmena, Harbortown, Lafayette Foods, YOBS are all locally owned [[and yes, they employ Detroiters, too).

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Huh? You do know Honey Bee is La Colmena, don't you? Tell me, are the tomatillios better at Whole Foods? Do they put limes on sale 20 for $1? It kills me all this fuss over Whole Foods when Honey Bee/La Colmena, Harbortown, Lafayette Foods, YOBS are all locally owned [[and yes, they employ Detroiters, too).
    THANK YOU!!

YOBS and Honey Bee for life.

Unless there is something that you need that Whole Foods has that the others don't, please shop locally. I am effing floored when I walk by Whole Foods and see all the hipster types in there that are supposed to be all about buying local.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Hey, hey, hey! The ethnic cake is only for me. You can have the yuppie cake. LOL.
    Oh, like, yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    THANK YOU!!

Unless there is something that you need that Whole Foods has that the others don't, please shop locally. I am effing floored when I walk by Whole Foods and see all the hipster types in there that are supposed to be all about buying local.
    Haven't been to YOBS or Ho' Foods, [[not in my 'hood), but it's The Bee for me! [[please feel free to use that in your advertising)

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    THANK YOU!!

YOBS sucks. They won't be around much longer, guaranteed. I tried to like it. They messed up the pricing of my products, sold turkey that went bad two days later, gave me half of a random cheese and half swiss when I asked for swiss, etc. I wrote it off a few times and kept trying to support, but now that Whole Foods is open it's a no brainer.

Honey Bee on the other hand, is awesome. I will always go there for their great prices on certain items and guac/salsa. Whole Foods and Honey Bee have everything I need.

Local market, mom and pop, independent for sure my first choice, long before WF considered Detroit I've been a huge fan of the local authentic, old world, wooden floor, corn husks in the barrel, 10 lemons for a dollar, cluttered shelf, old guy stacking oranges and apples type of scene. WF will remain an occasional 'option'. YOBS too for that matter.

In response to the lack of produce at so many standard "canned and frozen" heaven Detroit grocery stores... I got into this about 15 years ago from the Caldean, Pakistan, Asian, Indian etc. shops in Detroit, Oak Park and Hammy. I discovered more from working in E. Dearborn where you can easily get two large bags of produce at like say Greenland for under $12 any day -- even more on their super sale days.

I juice and extract [[which requires a great deal of volume not just an apple or two) and unless your income is quite hail you might get your stuff at the at markets such as these or eastern market etc -- If you do non-organic. HF will remain a place for specialty things or their buffet items for when I want some dinner/ lunch to go and avoiding burger king...

In a nutshell over a span of time we sorta shop all over [[burb and city) including, Trader Joes, Hollday Market, SAMS even Gordon Food Service for some of their less chemical offerings. LOL! For sure I hit Aldies and Save-a-lot for certain things.

Honey Bee will be checked out very, very soon. I think I have been to La Colmena down on Vernor further south right? They are not the same store are they?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-13 at 02:06 AM.

I was always underwhelmed by YOBS meat section especially as 'butcher' is in their name. Kinda of like meat 'light' to me...

I've seen far more robust meat shops, some less polished so to speak, somewhat crude [[where you can smell the fresh blood, ala 'eastern market' style) or a whole lambs head behind the glass type of scenes staring back at you!

We knew YOBS was not going to be that 'gamey' relative to their meats... and don't eat alot of meat... still it was disappointing.

WFs meat on average IMO is just too high. I'd do Holiday, before I do WF meat cuts. They are lower but not all organic or free range.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloIDistance View Post
    YOBS sucks. They won't be around much longer, guaranteed. I tried to like it. They messed up the pricing of my products, sold turkey that went bad two days later, gave me half of a random cheese and half swiss when I asked for swiss, etc. I wrote it off a few times and kept trying to support, but now that Whole Foods is open it's a no brainer.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-13 at 02:08 AM.

Honey Bee will be checked out very, very soon. I think I have been to La Colmena down on Vernor further south right? They are not the same store are they?
    here you go... the "one & only"
    http://honeybeemkt.com/

Honeybee IS La Colmena on Bagley.
    http://www.honeybeemkt.com/

You might be thinking of E&L Supermercado on Vernor.
    http://www.el-supermercado.com/

Local market, mom and pop, independent for sure my first choice, long before WF considered Detroit I've been a huge fan of the local authentic, old world, wooden floor, corn husks in the barrel, 10 lemons for a dollar, cluttered shelf, old guy stacking oranges and apples type of scene. WF will remain an occasional 'option'. YOBS too for that matter.

In response to the lack of produce at so many standard "canned and frozen" heaven Detroit grocery stores... I got into this about 15 years ago from the Caldean, Pakistan, Asian, Indian etc. shops in Detroit, Oak Park and Hammy. I discovered more from working in E. Dearborn where you can easily get two large bags of produce at like say Greenland for under $12 any day -- even more on their super sale days.

I juice and extract [[which requires a great deal of volume not just an apple or two) and unless your income is quite hail you might get your stuff at the at markets such as these or eastern market etc -- If you do non-organic. HF will remain a place for specialty things or their buffet items for when I want some dinner/ lunch to go and avoiding burger king...

In a nutshell over a span of time we sorta shop all over [[burb and city) including, Trader Joes, Hollday Market, SAMS even Gordon Food Service for some of their less chemical offerings. LOL! For sure I hit Aldies and Save-a-lot for certain things.

Zacha341, the Honey Bee, La Colmena ARE the same store. They are, where they have been for over 30 years, on the corner of 15th & Bagley. Behind the newly renovated MCS. 48202, GOOD CALL! E&L Supermercado on Vernor is another EXCELLENT locally owned, employed, grocery store.

Got it... no, I've never been to HBee then. But I have been to Supermercado! I'm not a big fan of Mexican and Central American food or seasonings but will check it out. I do love some forms of mole, a good guac and authentic corn chips. Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-13 at 06:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast