Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I've been to Supermercado, once. Great salsa and what not. Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    You might be thinking of E&L Supermercado on Vernor.
    http://www.el-supermercado.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Got it... no, I've never been to HBee then. But I have been to Supermercado! I'm not a big fan of Mexican and Central American food or seasonings but will check it out. I do love some forms of mole, a good guac and authentic corn chips. Thanks for the clarification.
    ?????????????

Name:  mole.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  59.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ?????????????

Name:  mole.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  59.8 KB

Well, that's obviously SOME form of mole.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Spoken mole-eh? as if you were Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    E&L Supermercado on Vernor is another EXCELLENT locally owned, employed, grocery store.
    Agreed, but E&L is a bit pricey. I tend to prefer the Ryan Spartan store 2 blocks east. Their meat counter isn't as impressive, but it still has 90% of anything you'd want at better prices, and is just as "Mexican" as the Supermercado.

You guys crack me up. LOL! I go away from the site a few hours and ya'll pull out the critters...... er' uh, I meant this version of mole: Chicken with Puebla-Style 'Mole' Sauce!

Name:  Mole dish.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  47.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-13 at 05:48 AM.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel.../?mod=yahoo_hs According to the WSJ, Whole Foods is doing double its expected sales.

Another good report about Whole Foods: http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._bloomber.html

Any updates or new favorite WF things? I don't much of my overall shopping there but I do grab dinner from their buffet items [[Tiki Chicken is grand) when I am on the run and don't want to eat fast food. I have a few favs from their deli as well, especially when they run specials. The place has become a who's-who in a way. I always run into people I've not see. Even a few Detroityes folk. One staffer there used to work at the Cass Corridor Food Coop!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Any updates or new favorite WF things? I don't much of my overall shopping there but I do grab dinner from their buffet items [[Tiki Chicken is grand) when I am on the run and don't want to eat fast food. I have a few favs from their deli as well, especially when they run specials. The place has become a who's-who in a way. I always run into people I've not see. Even a few Detroityes folk. One staffer there used to work at the Cass Corridor Food Coop!!
    Doggonit Zacha, you're going to make me take the trip all the way downtown just to check this place out.

^^^ Hah! This evening I purchased some currie chicken and two veggie sides off their buffet set, ate half and boxed the rest for my lunch tomorrow. Under $10 and it beats the crap fast food joint where I work. I do this about once a week when just too busy to cook to have lunch leftovers. Weeee...

Delicious well prepared hot foods and salads as long as you don't buy it an hour before closing time....baked macaroni, organic barbecue chicken, black eyed peas and cornbread....a variety of pizza slices...mmmm as a foodie I give the kitchen there a five star rating.....
    Last edited by terryh; September-19-13 at 09:01 PM.

It's a good store and am very glad they opened here but I really try to buy at YE OLD BUTCHER SHOPPE. That guy has worked his tail off on his store, has great products and meat and is very reasonable. He needs our business to stay open. Honey Bee is wonderful also

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Delicious well prepared hot foods and salads as long as you don't buy it an hour before closing time....baked macaroni, organic barbecue chicken, black eyed peas and cornbread....a variety of pizza slices...mmmm as a foodie I give the kitchen there a five star rating.....
    I'm glad you've found something you like, but I think this means you're decidedly NOT a "foodie".

Okay Zacha341, prepare yourself! I've finally made the trip and it was only because of your thread. So I'll blame you for whatever experience I had.

Ready? Here we go...

So I arrived at Whole Foods Monday evening around 6pm. The parking lot was packed and the store was standing room capacity only. So it looks like they are doing very robust business. The store was very clean, brightly lit, completely stocked with all the products they sell, and nicely decorated. The employees were very helpful and friendly.

Now onto the important part of the story: The Hot Food/Salad Bar

I must say I was very impressed at how good the food was prepared, seasoned, and kept fresh. The salad bar was good. All the ingredients looked fresh and nothing had that "over an hour" look to them. I especially liked the roasted garlic [[YUM). The Indian cuisine was very well prepared and seasoned. The samosas were very good.

The female customers? The women that were shopping there were beautiful! Sorry, I have a thing for attractive women that look smart, and there were plenty of women there that fit that bill. I go for nerd look. Intelligence is greatly under appreciated.

The crowd was diverse, from people of all ethnicities, age ranges, religions, and financial backgrounds. Although, the consumers mostly appeared to be the professional class.

So far, I'm very impressed with the Whole Foods store. They did an excellent job, and hopefully someday Detroit gets its act together and attracts more businesses just like them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3