Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

"An even more 'fun' place is the four corners of Woodward and 696, Main
    street entrance. At that intersection you catch attention from the
    Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak police and the
    Oakland County sheriff... um maybe even the State Police!"

This supposed "four corners"; Ferndale's border it not there.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; July-01-13 at 10:40 PM.

"So I have noticed traffic cops from Ferndale parked in Greenacres to catch speeders. So I have two questions, first is where is the dividing line between Ferndale and Detroit? Is it the median line of 8 mile, or right on the edge of Greenacres? Also is it legal to sit in another city to catch speeders in their city?"

This is not new. I've lived within a stone's throw of the flyover at Baseline and M-1 for over 17 years. It's nothing new; you're just now noticing it.

With the development at Gateway, our police have been pulling over more folks than in the past -- that's for sure. I chalk it up to controlling traffic along this strectch with the new traffic patterns being introducted; and if we can get some money from the folks who are breaking the law [[read: speeding which was a normal occurance in the past) then all the better. More pedestrains traffic will be introduced in this area very soon, and I have no issue with the wild est being tamed. That goes for the crotch rockets that scream through the area as soon as it gets dark.

There are a few big speedtraps on Telegraph. I don't get up that way much anymore, but I know for years the Southfield police would camp out on those industrial side streets up where the road curves around north of 9 Mile. Another one is just south of 94 where the Taylor cops love to grab drivers who pick up speed coming off or going under the freeway and under the tracks there.

Off target perhaps but I have complained before about the stretch on Mack in GPP. Those cops will issue tickets for 2 miles over. GPP residents get warnings, all others get tickets. I have seen GPP issuing tickets as far west as Connor and Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Hazel Park cops give you a choice - a normal speeding ticket with points or a more expensive ticket with no points
    I was ticketed by Hazel Park Police on the Northbound I-75 service drive immediately South of 8mile. In order to go East on 8mi. from the service dr..... motorists are required to utilize the merge ramp there for that purpose. Only problem is...I didn't know it was 'required', as there is no clear indication of that traffic law, except one sign WAAAAAY UP on the overpass [[at least twenty feet in the air) above the service drive, but past the service dr. for 8mi.rd. [[I know it's kinda confusing, hence my dilemma) The main problem is, The ramp is so frikkin' pothole riddled, with garbage AND a 'permanent beggar' installed at the stop sign....it makes for a treacherous trek through that intersection. So I was starting to go to the actual corner of the intersecting service drives [[a traffic light) and make a right turn....what's the problem? I actually never saw the sign 'Through Only' until after I received the ticket. There are no other signs or lines or written instructions/orders in the area to indicate this required ramp usage. So I received the ticket, requested a court date and at the hearing I was ninth up for my day in court. After listening to all eight of the other defendants cop their pleas and receive judgement before the fair, no nonsense Magistrate....I decided to plea 'Guilty w/Explanation'. I had taken pictures of the intersection before hand, to illustrate the lack of signage or indicating lanes/lines, and presented them to the Magistrate. He agreed with me [[as did the Officer) that the indicators were poor/nearly non-existent, and reduced my charge to Impeding Traffic and the fine from $150.00 to $75.00 with no points on my record. I considered it a fair deal and requested to the Magistrate if I might make a statement to the court of my plight and my thoughts on that corner, he said, "You may." I complained of the proven lack of indicators of that law and suggested that perhaps that problem should be remedied. The Magistrate glanced, amused, at the Officer and both agreed, then he stated, "That's not our City, there's nothing we can do about that." I was going to further that maybe then they shouldn't be patrolling the area if they had no real control over anything there, so why reap the benefits? But I decided NOT to push it [[for once I heeded the little voice inside)...after all, it's really just about revenue for these Townships...they don't want people to lose their driving privileges [[more drivers, more tickets?). In finishing, I wondered if maybe he could request Kevin Orr to fix the problem. The courtroom got a big kick out of that one. Oh, and yes, Police can patrol both sides of the borderline of 8 mile rd. Not sure of distances though.

I referenced this four corner area to show an even more police prone area of policing overlap near Ferndale, not bordering it...

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "An even more 'fun' place is the four corners of Woodward and 696, Main
    street entrance. At that intersection you catch attention from the
    Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak police and the
    Oakland County sheriff... um maybe even the State Police!"

This supposed "four corners"; Ferndale's border it not there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There are a few big speedtraps on Telegraph. I don't get up that way much anymore, but I know for years the Southfield police would camp out on those industrial side streets up where the road curves around north of 9 Mile. Another one is just south of 94 where the Taylor cops love to grab drivers who pick up speed coming off or going under the freeway and under the tracks there.
    Don't forget Mound Road under I-696. He sits under the overpass religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Off target perhaps but I have complained before about the stretch on Mack in GPP. Those cops will issue tickets for 2 miles over. GPP residents get warnings, all others get tickets. I have seen GPP issuing tickets as far west as Connor and Mack.
    Sumas everyone gets a ticket in the Park I have not heard of anyone receiving a warning from the Park Cops for many years. Also and you will like this leftover from Fairview days GP Cops are grandfathered in to police the old limits of Fairview. Of course its up to them if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Sumas everyone gets a ticket in the Park I have not heard of anyone receiving a warning from the Park Cops for many years. Also and you will like this leftover from Fairview days GP Cops are grandfathered in to police the old limits of Fairview. Of course its up to them if they want to.
    You made my day. Ron and I are founding members of the Village of Fairview Historical Society and co-authors of its History. I try not to shill on line but bragging rights are maybe ok. I wrote most, if not all, of Chapter 1,2 and the the final chapter of, "Horse Power, Men and Machines". Ron wrote the rest. Our role seems diminished but we know what we did and wrote and mostly ok with the lack of recognition.

GPP didn't exist so actually it is GPF that has extended jurisdiction.

Yes, GPP still gives walks for residents. I still avoid Mack though cause 2 over seems excessive in desires for ticket revenue.

Thank for my smiles. East area river front history is tres bonne. Sumas

You made my day. Ron and I are founding members of the Village of Fairview Historical Society and co-authors of its History. I try not to shill on line but bragging rights are maybe ok. I wrote most, if not all, of Chapter 1,2 and the the final chapter of, "Horse Power, Men and Machines". Ron wrote the rest. Our role seems diminished but we know what we did and wrote and mostly ok with the lack of recognition.

GPP didn't exist so actually it is GPF that has extended jurisdiction.

Yes, GPP still gives walks for residents. I still avoid Mack though cause 2 over seems excessive in desires for ticket revenue.

Thank for my smiles. East area river front history is tres bonne. Sumas
    I chatted with the City Attorney and he told me nobody is getting pass. There is to much lost revenue.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-04-13 at 09:03 AM.

I don't know about writing traffic tickets outside of any police officer's jurisdiction [[never heard of such a thing in my day on the job), but there is a state staute which states that any crime committed within 100 rods of a county line may be prosecuted in either county. Dunno if they're expounding on that law or not. But I do think it's piss poor enforcement when it's only for the almighty buck.

"I work in Dearborn which has had a decades long bad rep for pulling over black Detroiters but lately they seem far, FAR TOO busy policing their own citizens [[black, brown and white) as I've observed and from what I've been told"

How can you tell if they are pulling over a Detroiter versus someone from Dearborn? Shouldn't everyone get the same treatmentif they are breaking the law?

If Ferndale cops are sitting on the Detriot side, then aren't they ticketing people speeding into their city?

Not playing games and my days in GPP are long gone, Still and all the city manager concurs a pattern of selective ticketing.

My husband got pulled over for 2 over the 25 limit for a residential street in GPP. The officers liked our ugly little dog in the car. No ticket. Personally think officers need a little discretion. But yeah, I do think non residents in communities get targeted.

I was speaking of being pulled over for 'suspicion', not actual violations. That happened to me in Wyandotte. Officer gave no reason. Then when he saw my 'paperwork' was sound he mentioned my windows being tinted too dark which I knew they where above the too dark threshold, so I just listened to the lecture on that for a few seconds then he let me go.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    "I work in Dearborn which has had a decades long bad rep for pulling over black Detroiters but lately they seem far, FAR TOO busy policing their own citizens [[black, brown and white) as I've observed and from what I've been told"

How can you tell if they are pulling over a Detroiter versus someone from Dearborn? Shouldn't everyone get the same treatmentif they are breaking the law?

How about this. Don't speed

I hear that... I've never had a speeding ticket or stopped for speeding anywhere. Everyone knows the deal if you work in that area. The Points are known for very strict about speeding along main streets people would think you'd go faster along - try it and they'll catch you. I've seen people pulled over all along Jefferson, Mack etc...

35 MPH is max on Jefferson -- 36 or 37 and you're toast. You can tell someone not paying attention or from the areas rolling thru at 45 MPH... bingo on go the patrol car lights even past Alter Rd. into Detroit about two blocks in.

...My husband got pulled over for 2 over the 25 limit for a residential street in GPP. The officers liked our ugly little dog in the car. No ticket. Personally think officers need a little discretion. But yeah, I do think non residents in communities get targeted.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-13 at 09:39 AM.

Not playing games and my days in GPP are long gone, Still and all the city manager concurs a pattern of selective ticketing.

My husband got pulled over for 2 over the 25 limit for a residential street in GPP. The officers liked our ugly little dog in the car. No ticket. Personally think officers need a little discretion. But yeah, I do think non residents in communities get targeted.
    I am glad you were not issued a ticket. I have to say every GPP resident I know that has been pulled over lately has been issued a ticket. Looks like nobody has the answer.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-04-13 at 09:13 AM.

Oh yes... maybe with a bag of donuts [[jokes)... Course I rarely speed, runs too much gas out of your car and a dangerous practice. Some bat-out-of-hell speeding nutcase almost rear ended me around that area. Where were the police then?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Don't forget Mound Road under I-696. He sits under the overpass religiously.

"If Ferndale cops are sitting on the Detriot side, then aren't they ticketing people speeding into their city?"

Cops have jurisdiction / patrol both sides of Baseline just like in other situations along a main road that function as a political division line; it's the same as in Royal Oak / Huntington Woods along M-1, along various mile roads, etc.

If anything Detroit is losing out on revenue by having Ferndale sit on their side of Baseline with their fishing nets out. I believe we have hired an extra officer to deal with the situation/s along Baseline -- but I'm not for sure on that one. Frankly, I see it's as not really all about the money. The money .... ahem ..... revenue enhancement .... sure is nice but I think it also goes further than that.

Like I said before, the traffic pattern is being changed and there are going to be a lot more people around in that area. I personally plan on walking / riding my bike to the Meijer and the other stores [[if at all possible) and I would like a safe and traffic controlled situation for not only me and my family; but everyone else. We're moving toward more walkablility in this area and the vehicles in this area must start observing the basic traffic laws. And, like someone said up in the thread -- don't want to get pulled over, don't have / do something to get you pulled over for.

I see a ton of cars along Baseline every day that have something to get pulled over for; broken headlight, burned out tail light, improper lane changes, speeding, bad plate, etc. Shit, a ton of cars would fail a basic safety inspection [[have you ever been pulled over for one of those?) It always amazes me that folks think that they can really run the Baseline Gambit with their vehicles so outta whack and not get caught. The Baseline Gambit makes the Kessel Run look like a walk in the park.

People bitch when they get pulled over; well I wonder how much the constant cycle of ticket / court hassles verses you getting the fucking tail light fixed is really working out for you? I've had my share of 500.00 specials; it was only when I got a bit smart after five years of flushing my cash down the toilet; and started fixing the shit wrong on my car that got me pulled over, that I realized how much cash I was giving the system. And as we all know, the system LOVES to get their talons in ya with the "endless" probation cycle shit, fee / fines, etc.

Gettin` hassled by the Man? Perhaps; but did these folks really put themselves in the best possible position to be successful when encountering the Man? Most likely not. But either way, that area will be safer whether folks like it or not, more cash goes into my city's coffers keeping my taxes lower; and once the word gets out to keep your shit in line around M-1 and Baseline, less people will be at the side of the road emptying their pockets in the revenue enhancement trough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I referenced this four corner area to show an even more police prone area of policing overlap near Ferndale, not bordering it...
    Yeahhhhh; no -- but it's cool. That comment could describe a ton of intersections in this Great State of Michigan.

I hear you. Cycling is simply not an option or interest for everyone. Only thing I can say for drivers is that we learn the areas of high policing to avoid the un-warranted stops, don't speed and make sure your paper work is in order which CAN garner you warranted stops by law enforcement.

I know for me and mine we try to avoid purchasing cars that are too expensive to ensure... no or low car notes, to keep an edge to continue the choice of driving as preferred. It's crazy for sure.

I personally plan on walking / riding my bike to the Meijer and the other stores [[if at all possible) and I would like a safe and traffic controlled situation for not only me and my family; but everyone else. We're moving toward more walkablility in this area and the vehicles in this area must start observing the basic traffic laws. And, like someone said up in the thread -- don't want to get pulled over, don't have / do something to get you pulled over for.

I see a ton of cars along Baseline every day that have something to get pulled over for; broken headlight, burned out tail light, improper lane changes, speeding, bad plate, etc. Shit, a ton of cars would fail a basic safety inspection [[have you ever been pulled over for one of those?) It always amazes me that folks think that they can really run the Baseline Gambit with their vehicles so outta whack and not get caught.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-13 at 09:50 AM.

Yeah out in Auburn Hills by Featherstone Rd and some street I think you can catch the attention of about three municipalities included the state troopers. Joy.

Yeahhhhh; no -- but it's cool. That comment could describe a ton of intersections in this Great State of Michigan.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-13 at 09:51 AM.

"Only thing I can say for drivers is that we learn the areas of high policing to avoid the un-warranted stops, don't speed and make sure your paper work is in order which CAN garner you warranted stops by law enforcement."

Agree. Most people do not know that they can get pulled over for shit hanging off of their review mirror. Really want to get pulled over; keep that license plate wrapper you get from the dealership [[or from that F.O.P. fund raiser) and that will do ya in. Besides, do folks know that those driving around with those things on yer plate that not only are you risking getting pulled over every, single day -- your functioning as a "rolling billboard" by advertising their dealership ...... FOR FREE! So not only do you risk a ticket; you're providing free labor to a dealership!

Fucking crazy!

^^^ WHAT? I did'nt know that a dealership license plate frame could get you pulled over unnecessarily. I usually by my cars from private owner but the one I drive now has such a dealer framing. Going to remove the next time I drive. Plus I don't like being being a FREE billboard!

The police probably argue that your plate tags are somehow obscured. Great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast