Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

"The police probably argue that your plate tags are somehow obscured. Great."

Yep, anything covering, encasing, etc. -- it's the law. Background story is a cop was in a class at OCC taught by a very respected Professor. Topic was the Tweetie Bird case [[hanging crap from rear view mirror). Cop raises his hands and informs folks in the room that licence plate wrappers are also illegal. A student in the room raises their hand and states "But I bought mine at the ___ FOP fund raiser". Cop responds, "Yep, 5 bucks for the wrapper; 50 bucks for the fine. Thank you for your donation".

Go USA!
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; July-04-13 at 10:18 AM. Reason: speeeeeling

^^^ Yep. I know keeping handicapped tags on the mirror while driving will catch you a case or at least a warning. Most of this stuff is ignored in the city, like the plate frame. I am out in the burbs constantly and don't need to be hassled for that. It will be removed.

As an aside; I've often wondered if you could negotiate the wrapper issue in your purchase of the car. Something like "Yeah, that price is still high. How about I agree to keep your wrapper on my plate and you knock off 4 grand off of the price?"

I figure that's a nice round number to pick considering the amount of time I will own the car for advertising costs. Hell, I'm taking a lot of risk here!

I got popped for the license plate frame with bubble coming back from Sarnia into the US once. Was told it obscures the plate when they photo the back of your car on the way through customs

Ferndale has caught me on more than one occasion driving over the limit. I live there, plus my insurance company is based in Michigan, so i'm supporting my local economy.

Livonia is the only city Ive been pulled over for speeding but offered a different charge with no insurance points. "Speeding" on 8 Mile or "impeding traffic" of all things!

I find it funny that suburban cities have no problem giving you a ticket for speeding on the Detroit side of 8 Mile, but if you get into an accident there and call their police, they tell you "oh, you need to call Detroit's Police for that"!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "The police probably argue that your plate tags are somehow obscured. Great."

Yep, anything covering, encasing, etc. -- it's the law. Background story is a cop was in a class at OCC taught by a very respected Professor. Topic was the Tweetie Bird case [[hanging crap from rear view mirror). Cop raises his hands and informs folks in the room that licence plate wrappers are also illegal. A student in the room raises their hand and states "But I bought mine at the ___ FOP fund raiser". Cop responds, "Yep, 5 bucks for the wrapper; 50 bucks for the fine. Thank you for your donation".

Go USA!
    Not surprising but the cop was wrong. http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...html#equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Not surprising but the cop was wrong. http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...html#equipment
    Wrong as far as "encasing" vs. "surrounding"?

License plate frames are everywhere and are not illegal unless they obscure any of the information.

^^^ I hear that. I am going to remove mine anyway. It was cute when the used car lot put it on there and wished me on my way, but now it can go. Free advertising is over! I am happy with the car btw so some used lots are good, but you best know what kind of car you are getting and always do a vin check.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3