Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Brilliant post, Nerd. You, my friend, are awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Last night, I went to the Model D Regionalism talk at the DIA. The panel included the head of the RTA, the head of the Brightmoor Alliance, one of the Detroit Future City guys,one of the higher level DIA people, and Katy Cockrel. I'm bad with names. Anyway, some of it was the typical discussion about transit, etc. The audience Q&A is what really grabbed me. There was one guy who stood up and started yelling and bitching about the governor and the EM and how the state screwed everyone. Not only was his rant unproductive and divisive, it was completely irrelevant to the discussion. However, there was a lady named Marsha who owns the Marsha Music blog. She made an intelligent statment that was eye-opening for me. In response to a comment that the RTA leader made about Detroit being abandoned, she responded by saying[[paraphrase)....Sir, when you use the word abandonment in that way, it makes the citizens of Detroit feel like we are invisible; like we don't count. We never left. In the future, please consider that when you speak about the people of Detroit. So simple and so stunning. I am from Livonia and I'm all for regionalism, but her statement opened my eyes to a personal, heart felt viewpoint of the citizens who have fought tooth and nail to keep their city safe, clean and viable that I just didn't understand. One intelligent statement that counteracts all the non-productive screaming and yelling that occurs at city council meetings. I spoke with her afterwards and thanked her for that statement.

My goodness! You know it's funny - when I was talking to you and your lovely wife, I was thinking, "I should tell him to post on DetroitYes".

I "say something" at almost all ModelD events and I've been a panelist as well. Your paraphrasing of my remarks is correct [[in response to a panelist who continuously exclaimed that 10-15 years ago, Downtown Detroit was “completely abandoned”, “completely empty” and there was “no one there”).

I also mentioned [[and I believed you reacted to) a piece I've completed called The Kidnapped Children of Detroit, about the kids, back during my day, who were snatched out of the city by those parents who were driven out of Detroit by fears that were fomented by numerous sources; about the love for Detroit that exists outside of its boundaries, and the next generation – yours - that desires an urban life and does not want to be bound by those same fears.

My last words to you were "come back home".

I have had people tell me that when I say that, my words are the first time that they have felt that they are/or would be welcomed in Detroit by any “native” Detroiters. I caution that it is not an empty “blank slate” - you join those who are here. Of course you and I talked about the challenges of moving to/living in Detroit [[which we talk about on this site daily).

I do [[regarding your subsequent posts in this thread) believe it is a good thing to talk about these events of our past - no matter how terrible, just so that we can know what makes this region what it is. Many younger people know little about the actual history of this town [[and I am constantly learning).

The question is, can we discuss these things in a way that makes sense, and does not spread as much hate as the events themselves? I think we can, and I always try; hopefully, this is what you witnessed yesterday.
    I was impressed by your honesty and earnestness yesterday and in this thread. Thank you for your kind words. So glad you’re already here!

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post

My goodness! You know it's funny - when I was talking to you and your lovely wife, I was thinking, "I should tell him to post on DetroitYes".

I "say something" at almost all ModelD events and I've been a panelist as well. Your paraphrasing of my remarks is correct [[in response to a panelist who continuously exclaimed that 10-15 years ago, Downtown Detroit was “completely abandoned”, “completely empty” and there was “no one there”).

I also mentioned [[and I believed you reacted to) a piece I've completed called The Kidnapped Children of Detroit, about the kids, back during my day, who were snatched out of the city by those parents who were driven out of Detroit by fears that were fomented by numerous sources; about the love for Detroit that exists outside of its boundaries, and the next generation – yours - that desires an urban life and does not want to be bound by those same fears.

My last words to you were "come back home".

I have had people tell me that when I say that, my words are the first time that they have felt that they are/or would be welcomed in Detroit by any “native” Detroiters. I caution that it is not an empty “blank slate” - you join those who are here. Of course you and I talked about the challenges of moving to/living in Detroit [[which we talk about on this site daily).

I do [[regarding your subsequent posts in this thread) believe it is a good thing to talk about these events of our past - no matter how terrible, just so that we can know what makes this region what it is. Many younger people know little about the actual history of this town [[and I am constantly learning).

The question is, can we discuss these things in a way that makes sense, and does not spread as much hate as the events themselves? I think we can, and I always try; hopefully, this is what you witnessed yesterday.
    I was impressed by your honesty and earnestness yesterday and in this thread. Thank you for your kind words. So glad you’re already here!

All of this getting along and civil discussion is making me really uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    The actual numbers demonstrate that the suburbs are well-funded, and in many cases that funding comes from the hard-done-by people of Detroit.
    Can you be more specific on this point? It sounds ridiculous on its face.

Marshamusic, you are the voice of heart and reason. Metro detroiters can only benefit from your presence at these talks. What the region needs is a "mentality" of regionalism. Everyone on this thread recognizes that neither the mentalscapes of suburban detachment or that of ghetto aloofness are bound to yield anything positive for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    His usual schtick that because Detroiters pay state income, sales, and fuel taxes that they subsidize everywhere else in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Marshamusic, you are the voice of heart and reason. Metro detroiters can only benefit from your presence at these talks. What the region needs is a "mentality" of regionalism. Everyone on this thread recognizes that neither the mentalscapes of suburban detachment or that of ghetto aloofness are bound to yield anything positive for the future.
    Agreed. The parochialism we have always exhibited in the past is killing us.

As Benjamin Franklin said of a not unrelated situation a long time ago, we must hang together; otherwise we shall most assuredly hang separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Sure, lots of things sound ridiculous on their face. And then you drop your preconceptions and investigate and find that the counterintuitive is often valid. I mean, what's with this round-Earth stuff? We all know that we don't see any curvature. I have driven all over and it's all flat, flat, flat. So there. The Earth can't be round. That's ridiculous.

Anyway, I am pretty sure, Det_ard, that you really aren't interested in jettisoning those preconceptions and taking a fresh look at things. But just in case somebody else here is, here are a couple interesting links that help explain how city residents fund suburbs through Uncle Sugar.

http://grist.org/cities/starving-the...d-the-suburbs/

http://www.urbanhabitat.org/node/27

Also, cities are increasingly where the action is. Billions of dollars are being made across the country redeveloping urban centers. In a surprising development, some suburbs are becoming centers for poverty. And that's a shame, because cities should have good suburban environments too. [[Although the people who live there should be responsible for paying their fair share of the cost of that lifestyle.) Maybe as this shift goes on, a conversation about building actual regions, as opposed to this or that little fiefdom, can take place and benefit us all. But not until we acknowledge that we've been pouring money into an expensive mode of living at the cost of our cities, and work to bring things back into balance.

1) The Suburbs are paying to the DIA.
    2) The State will run Belle Isle.
    3) The Feds will pay for demolitions.
    4) The Region will run the Water Dept.
    5) The Investors will get 10c for every Dollar.
    6) The Lighting Dept. Is going to DTE.
    7) Companies are bribed to move Downtown to tax their employees.
    8) A consortium is buying Police vehicles.
    9) A consortium is buying Emergency vehicles.
    10) Ford/Target provide the Fireworks.
    and it ain't started yet. So far it's only been happening at a "nickel and dime" pace. [[So nobody connects it up - just a little bit at a time)
    Last edited by coracle; June-29-13 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2