Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    I'm really not trying to do the whole "Everyplace is as fucked up as Detroit" thing that so often happens. However, sometimes when we're in our own bubble of reality, it feels like things are "only in Detroit." I guess I absolutely hate when people take the actions of a few and use it to act like EVERYBODY in the city are heartless thugs ready to kill someone with no mercy. These people certainly exist, but come on...the whole "We have no hope" shit is so over-dramatic. Of course we need better parents and citizens in general, in many cases...but it's not like this is a Detroit-only thing. Every year, there are fights, people getting beat up, people causing disruptions, and shootings at events outside of Detroit. There will be humans with bad intentions and a lack of morals in many places. I did a news search and it took me like 30 seconds to find 3 recent non-Detroit instances of violence or scares at festivals:

14 & 13 year old shot near an Ohio church festival, June 8: http://www.fox19.com/story/22540941/...hurch-festival

10 year old shot at a Juneteenth Festival in Columbus, June 16: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...hild-shot.html

Man fires blanks at the Cannes Film Festival, May 2013: http://www.eonline.com/news/433358/2...-firing-blanks

You can argue this stuff happens more in Detroit, but seriously...get a lot of people together and the ignorant or crazy get tempted to act stupid.
    Very true. While working at a radio station in Hawaii we promoted an outdoor concert in a large park at the beach. The first band was barely into their set when some locals gave a couple marines the stink eye. Next thing you know there is a huge brawl and stampede. The event was shut down barely 15 minutes into it. Crazy shit happens, even in paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    This is exactly what I told cityhall yesterday.

When I attempted to walk up to Hart Plaza after work on Mon., Jefferson was closed at 7:45pm to pedestrian crossing. As people began quickly approaching the intersection the more angry they became. Not only because most of the late comers are trying to hurry down from work and can't get there any earlier, but because there is no prior announcement regarding the time of the street closure. So you have families carring stuff and people who took 4 buses on a 90 degree day just trying to find a patch of ground past the skyline [[and you cant see squat if you arent past the skyline). Not to mention the families that become separated when a few leave to get a drink or use a non-porta-john. By the time the fireworks started, Hart Plaza was half empty, and the intersection of WW and J was packed like a sardine can full of bored kids and aggravated adults and teens. Throw rude, aggressive, and high strung police into the mix and you now have the makings of a catastrophic event. The police are setting this event up for failure.

As far as the demographics go, the crowd at the intersection was 65/35 black folks. But my spidey streetsense told me it was easily 90/10 hood folks [[of all colors), some of which dont leave a six block radius unless patronizing a Walmarts. This is the biggest outdoor event of the year that doesnt have an entry fee, one of the only times everyone in town regardless of income has an opportunity to get front row seats to view the most spectacular show in town. Don't assume just because lots of black folks are around when the shit hits the fan that it's a black folks problem. It's more like a hood rats problem.

I know that some of you [[predictably) feel like we need MORE security, but the police presence in the CBD was already extremely heavy, zillions of them walking and riding around Campus Martius, the Woodward corridor and Jefferson. Even the Border Patrol is in on the act now. If more police was the answer we'd already have the safest event of the summer. But, it isn't is it?

IMHO, I dont think closing down the riverfront to the majority of Detroit resident is the answer, I think we should be making it more accomodating. Jefferson should be opened wide up to all foot traffic until 9pm, and the Riverfront and Belle Isle Conservancies need to work with Law enforcement to create a more accessable, safe and maybe even profitable event. People should be allowed to put their blankets down on eastbound Jefferson up to the median, the EM vehicles can easily use westbound Jefferson as a two-way. More vendor permits should be allowed, increasing the access to affordable food and drinks, and to things families might need in a pinch. Maybe a shuttle line to take the elderly and disabled back and forth from the riverfront [[Dan??), and some street performers to entertain the young people [[Dan??)[[GM??) [[Illitch??) Come on guys...

People on this site are always saying that the problem with Detroiters is that we set our expectations low, therefore resulting in low outcomes. Why should the Fireworks be an exception to this logic?

Really well put. The magic word in your text is "more". starting with more accomodating. In other words the idea that the city should not hold this event next year is really lame. I wouldnt give in to the kind of emotions and judgements that jeopardize a community event that brings people together in awe. What a lot of kids need is a way to express awe without resorting to violence as an attention-getting scheme. This is the kind of gratuitous self destructive pattern that needs to be channeled into artistic or other means of expression. I agree with your assessment that corporate sponsorship of street performers would help Detroit restore a kind of community bond for youth coming to downtown events.

There are so many negative models in popular culture that reinforce this state of violence esp. in the stereotyping of black culture that it becomes harder to smooth things out IMO. And since the "D" swagger corresponds with all that is mean and tough in the world of rough, the battle is not close to being won.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It was a scary situation and doesn't help our reputation, but honestly, if a few minor injuries from a minor stampede reaction to some idiot[[s) setting off fireworks in a large crowd is all that results from a gathering of a million people, it's hard to complain too much.
    "Minor stampede"???

Ah, Metro Detroit, if anything, you are consistent: self-deluding till the bitter end.

There were a few murders this past week, but they were minor. The Council President also seems to be having some minor personal issues. Nothing to see here folks, hey, look, it's a new stadium plan, shiny things!

There's nothing 'minor' about a stampede to me! Does it matter if the stampede occurs on a sidewalk, asphalt or wooden flooring?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There's nothing 'minor' about a stampede to me! Does it matter if the stampede occurs on a sidewalk, asphalt or wooden flooring?
    Minor in the sense that it was relatively small, short-lived, produced few injuries and no deaths. I'm not saying it is ok that it happened or that we shouldn't take precautions to prevent them in the future, but there is a level of severity to these things. For example, here are some "major" stampedes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamped...uman_stampedes. Sure, I'm using a bit of hyperbole to counteract the overstatement used on the other end of the spectrum [["oh, the blacks screw everything up! oh, let's cancel the fireworks! oh, it's not safe to do anything in Detroit anymore!").

"...shiny things." HAHAHAHAHAHA...

I was at the fireworks last year. Corner of Jefferson right across from the tunnel right up front. My husband and I thought there were plenty of police, they were lined up almost shoulder to shoulder.
    We've been going down town for the last 15 yrs. We always parked at the Millender Building parking on the highest floor that had an open window, back the truck up and there we sat. but never got directly in the mix. Last year parking there was closed along with several other parking structures and we were forced to go on the streets. The sidewalks were all lined with those metal gates to keep people from buildings or just getting in the street. What I heard was someone that "yelled out" fight or look out and everyone started moving our way and it was turning into a push and shove match that was a mini stampede. The 2nd one "there's a gun" or "he has a gun" never heard a shot at that point but everyone was headed towards us, running over the gates, pushing people, running over them, people lost their shoes. My husband pushed me across Jefferson to the medium with trees...there we stayed until and officer said to go back where we were. I felt we were lucky that the stampede didn't hurt one us. Sorry to say as much as we enjoy going, we're not..unless the parking structures are open. We always paid to park there, what was the problem last year? We also called ahead and the Millender Parking Structure was supposed to be open. What happened to the parking? People were being herded like cattle on the street and when it came to running for safety there was no where to run.

Frankly, a multi-storey parking is a world unto itself, why you ever ventured out onto a sidewalk is a mystery to me.

Canuck, it was a first and was the last, totally disappointed. Years before there was a shooting and we were able to view that from our parking structure safe place..guess we forgot about that and actually thought things had gotten safer..NOT!

Default Oh well - what's a few more murders - when totals are counted in the hundreds

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    "Minor stampede"???

Ah, Metro Detroit, if anything, you are consistent: self-deluding till the bitter end.

There were a few murders this past week, but they were minor. The Council President also seems to be having some minor personal issues. Nothing to see here folks, hey, look, it's a new stadium plan, shiny things!
    Tell their families that, and tell them oh well, and toughen up buttercup.
    So accustomed to violence you're numb to it, or brush it off as bashing.

Could we please wait until the 2014 fireworks get here to resurrect this 10 month old topic...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Frankly, a multi-storey parking is a world unto itself, why you ever ventured out onto a sidewalk is a mystery to me.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Wink, Wink.

My dad once went to a gunfight in downtown Detroit and a Fireworks display broke out!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6