Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The entrance sign to the island I grew up with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Me too! Keep the photos coming. Nice....

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The big stove would probably still have been further east on Jefferson in front of the Michigan Stove Works at the time this picture was taken. On Jefferson between Adair and Leib [[present location of Harbortown).

It was moved over to just west of the Belle Isle Bridge approach in 1926 [[just off to the right of the picture I posted), where it remained until it was moved to the State Fairgrounds in 1965.

Here is the late, lamented stove in front of the stove works on Jefferson where it was located from 1893 to 1926:

And here it is by the Belle Isle Bridge approach, where it was 1926-1965.

Ah, so I did remember correctly that it was at the west side of the entrance at some point. Thanks EastsideAl.

In the other pic - I'd never seen an "old bridge" before; so when was it built, and when was the "new bridge" built?

So before there was any bridge, did visitors go there? By ferry? Or was it a no-man's land that no one visited?

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    In the other pic - I'd never seen an "old bridge" before; so when was it built, and when was the "new bridge" built?

So before there was any bridge, did visitors go there? By ferry? Or was it a no-man's land that no one visited?
    The old bridge was built in 1889 and burned down in 1915. It was replaced by a temporary bridge until the present bridge was finally completed in 1923.

Here's an article about the burning of the old bridge:
    http://blogs.detroitnews.com/history...e-burned-down/

There was ferry service to the island from downtown from its earliest days as a public park in the 1870s until 1957. There's still an old ferry waiting shelter standing on the south side of the island just east of the Dossin Museum.

And here is another picture of the entrance to the old bridge. Here you can see the wooden deck that allowed the bridge to burn down.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The entrance sign to the island I grew up with.
    I forgot all about that sign until I saw your picture. Brings back a flood of memories [[as do those old black-on-white street signs). Thanks! Keep 'em coming.

The bridge circa 1966. The image also shows the submarine that used to reside behind Brodhead Naval Armory.

The Skating Pavilion.

The Donaldson & Meier designed Detroit Boat Club clubhouse. This 1894 building would burn down in 1902.

A closer view of the Bath House.

Construction of the original Belle Isle Bridge; c.1889

Excellent image Highjinx2. Now the end of the bridge.

The Band Shell at the Detroit Boat Club.

An image of the stables circa 1900.

Major General Alpheus Starkey Williams Statue located at the intersection of Central Avenue and Inselruhe Avenue. The Sculptor is Henry Merwin Shrady and the statue was built in 1921.

Great thread people!

The bandshell @ the DBC: Growing up I spent every summer there and after the swim meets there would be dancing and live music at that spot. Sad to see the club is such shape, but time will eventually get everything.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Great thread people!

The bandshell @ the DBC: Growing up I spent every summer there and after the swim meets there would be dancing and live music at that spot. Sad to see the club is such shape, but time will eventually get everything.
    What years did you swim for the club?

~1982-1993. My older brothers swam for the team as well, but they went on to sail most of their summer days. We left the club about 1-2 years before it closed up shop. I can say I remember a lot about the club and the island in general. However it's nice to see the other story of Belle Isle in pictures and words that you do not come across in abundance like this thread.

Thinking about it, there were bands..... but also DJ's at some of the dances. The song Rock Lobster comes to mind.

1970-1978 here and we had mostly live bands. Adrenaline played one of last meets I swam in at the point in their career when they were trying to break out of being a local band. My parents resigned in the late 1980's.

1970-1978 here and we had mostly live bands. Adrenaline played one of last meets I swam in at the point in their career when they were trying to break out of being a local band. My parents resigned in the late 1980's.
    Ok that's what I thought. Dj's would have been on turn tables still back then. Bands were still somewhat economical, traditional and efficient I would think.

Hey, what is this thing?
    http://goo.gl/maps/v5FMB

I'm sure it was covered already, but it sure is on it's own up there.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Ok that's what I thought. Dj's would have been on turn tables still back then. Bands were still somewhat economical, traditional and efficient I would think.

Hey, what is this thing?
    http://goo.gl/maps/v5FMB

I'm sure it was covered already, but it sure is on it's own up there.
    The building is a water intake.

Name:  belle-isle-aerial.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  44.8 KB

aerial view

ferrName:  belle-isle 2.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  49.2 KBy docks connected to Walkerville and Detroit

Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory located at Conservatory Drive. Designed by Albert Kahn and built in 1904.

The southeast shoreline taken last fall.

I have not been by there this year so I do not know if the pavilion has been opened.
    The Pavilion serves the athletic fields which are adjacent. A few years ago, a convenience store was operating there which was preceded by a branch of the local eatery "Turkey Grill".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3