Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

In my posts I'm not acting like other encyclopedias are a lot better...so I know you're not referring to me. The last time I could use an encyclopedia as official reference material was in 8th grade.

But I would say that, in general, a "proprietary encyclopedia" is better in the sense that the editors/authors are accountable and they rely on source material. There's no guarantee that Wikipedia is the same [[and many articles are light on references). For the most part, I agree that it's not wildly inaccurate...and for new or obscure topics, Wikipedia is better only because regular encyclopedias do not create topics instantly nor dedicate the resources to find an author to write an entry on a topic like "Marian Ilitch."

Wikipedia has it's purpose, and can be useful...I use it myself to find summarized information quickly, while understanding that it is not the best source. It just seems odd that a couple people started defending Wikipedia's accuracy after jcole pointed out that it was wrong on one of the issues being discussed [[MLB ownership).

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    In my posts I'm not acting like other encyclopedias are a lot better...so I know you're not referring to me. The last time I could use an encyclopedia as official reference material was in 8th grade.

But I would say that, in general, a "proprietary encyclopedia" is better in the sense that the editors/authors are accountable and they rely on source material. There's no guarantee that Wikipedia is the same [[and many articles are light on references). For the most part, I agree that it's not wildly inaccurate...and for new or obscure topics, Wikipedia is better only because regular encyclopedias do not create topics instantly nor dedicate the resources to find an author to write an entry on a topic like "Marian Ilitch."

Wikipedia has it's purpose, and can be useful...I use it myself to find summarized information quickly, while understanding that it is not the best source. It just seems odd that a couple people started defending Wikipedia's accuracy after jcole pointed out that it was wrong on one of the issues being discussed [[MLB ownership).
    I'm not referring to you at all. I find it kind of amusing that people are criticizing Wikipedia in 2013 as though it's a new idea or ignoring the validity and usefulness of ANY encyclopedia.

When used appropriately, Wikipedia is as useful as any encyclopedia.