Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    The only time that service would work in my neighborhood would be in the
    daylight hours when everyone who has to park on the street leaves for work and since it's daylight......
    I can understand that logic... but I do believe that Pizza Delivery folks and Ambulances do carry flashlights... to see where the pizza goes, or where the emergency is...

I also don't view it as making one seem gullible to other fast talking folks. After all having a curb painting is not viewed by most as a sign of gullibility.... prudence maybe... but not gullibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    They very well may have some connection with Wayne County Neighborhood Watch.
    There is no such thing as "Wayne County Neighborhood Watch." That is a completely made-up, bogus organization.

That's why it's a scam. They are misrepresenting themselves, trying to make it look "official" when it isn't.

Harper Woods PD has put out a notice warning residents of this scam:

http://nixle.com/alert/2066997/

Since whoever is doing this does not have a solicitation permit according to the Harper Woods PD, that also makes it illegal.
    Last edited by aj3647; June-22-13 at 11:34 PM.

Someone came by and offered to do mine 15 years ago for $10 and its still very readable to this day.

It takes 30 seconds to spray paint the house number. The cost of materials is probably $5, all you need is a can of spray paint and some stencils. So charging $20 to do it, and knowing full well that this is specifically targeting the elderly, IS a scam.

You're paying someone $20 for a "service" that is worth $3, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um.... how is this a scam... if the service provided is indeed done before you pay??
    Just because a good or service is provided, that means it's can't be a scam? How naive are you?

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...e-temperatures

It doesn't matter if they actually provide a good or service. If they misrepresent themselves...it's a scam. If they charge WAY WAY more than a product or service is actually worth, it's a scam. If they intentionally provide low-quality goods or services in order to make more profit, it's a scam.

Guys offering to repave your driveway for cheap, to sell you magazine subscriptions "for the troops", selling frozen meat, etc. All scams. And so is the curb painting solicitation.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    It takes 30 seconds to spray paint the house number. The cost of materials is probably $5, all you need is a can of spray paint and some stencils. So charging $20 to do it, and knowing full well that this is specifically targeting the elderly, IS a scam.

I think you are neglecting to consider the fact that these guys probably spend 95% of their time trying to get business and only 5% of the time actually performing the service. Regardless of the fact that the wording of their advertising is a little shady, the $20 charge seems very reasonable.

I think the reason why they get away with this is because the city offers so very little service to its residents for what they pay in their taxes. Things like litter pickup, pothole filling, same-day graffiti removal which should be immediate and free services offered by most cities are practically non-existent in Detroit and perhaps seen as a luxury.

The curb painting is a very good idea. And for a one time charge is probably very reasonable. But it's technically not something that should be done by people not affiliated with the city. I think this opens the door to widespread scamming because there appears to be so little control over what is done.

It takes 30 seconds to spray paint the house number. The cost of materials is probably $5, all you need is a can of spray paint and some stencils.
    Haven't checked the price of Scotchlite paint have you? That stuff ain't cheap. Last I saw, it was a two step process. Paint the black rectangular background, let it dry. Then set the address, place the stencil and spray the reflective paint.

Not complicated, but not as simple as you make it sound.

And who says they're targeting the elderly or any other specific group? They offer a service to the homeowner. When they place the card, they have no idea who lives there. They probably don't even know who lives there afterwards. They either see the envelope out or they don't. No envelope, no problem, on to next door.

I'm not sure if 3M is even making ScotchLite paint any more. It may only be available from industrial suppliers, but I found an old price of over $100/gallon.

There are some other brands at around $20 for a 15 ounce spray can.

If it was done correctly, it would be a thermoplastic application. Clean, apply, heat, done....next house. And again, it's usually done by companies contracted by cities...as it should.

I agree its worth $3, and probably costs them less than a buck to make the stencil and spray on the paint.

You get 20 homes on both sides of a street its $60, but the problem is that you can't force everyone to pay so you basically do it for free and get the $20 from the ones who feel you provide them with a value.

Its just like the guy who comes around with a bottle of window washer fluid and a squeegee and wipes your windshield for free in hopes that you will feel obligated to pay.

I would be glad if someone came around my neighborhood and offered this. I would pay $20.

I have this done every couple years here in GP...Agree with Gistok...Not a Scam...Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um.... how is this a scam... if the service provided is indeed done before you pay??

This is a common practice in many neighborhoods in all parts of the metro area. I don't understand how it can be a scam, if you pay later??

My parents had their curb painted several times when they lived in Detroit... and they were satisfied...

There are many people who have the curb painting... makes it easier for Ambulances, Pizza delivery, etc...

Just because a good or service is provided, that means it's can't be a scam? How naive are you?

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...e-temperatures

It doesn't matter if they actually provide a good or service. If they misrepresent themselves...it's a scam. If they charge WAY WAY more than a product or service is actually worth, it's a scam. If they intentionally provide low-quality goods or services in order to make more profit, it's a scam.

Guys offering to repave your driveway for cheap, to sell you magazine subscriptions "for the troops", selling frozen meat, etc. All scams. And so is the curb painting solicitation.
    Blah blah blah... you can whine about it all you want... And your $3 figure is pure BS... try finding spray paint and stencils for $3?? You forget the driving to the store... and the time involved in the entire process... probably nearly an hour. Still sound like a bargain to you?? Not to me!

My parents and many of their neighbors had it done many years ago for $10 per house. They were happy, and didn't want the bother of doing it themselves.

Granted it's gone up in price... but for many people who work long hours or have disabilities... that $20 is still a bargain. And as for who the flyer says they represent... anyone with half a brain should know that it's just a ploy to get more service. I had it done many years ago [[$10), and laughed at the flyer's innuendo as to their legitimacy... the work lasted for 15 years, so I didn't give a rats ass as to the their "title"... it's not like I'm spending $5000 having a new driveway installed!
    Last edited by Gistok; June-24-13 at 02:55 PM.

I used to think that the font on this board were somewhat highly intelligent. Not so much now. Some of you are disecting this to pieces for no reason. I had this service done last year. I actually spoke with the man. He is an older white gentleman with an idea for extra income and acted on his idea. He has a permit and he's simply drives around and provides a service. If you want your address on the curb pay him if not disregard. Simple.

Oh and to piggyback on the above font. Kudos. $20 is a bargain for me. And he uses reflective paint and the letters are spray painted. It's quality and my curb still looks good as new and it's only been 1 year.
    Last edited by ba0052; June-26-13 at 10:14 AM.

I remember being told that painting a home address on the curb is illegal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2