Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Just musing... Duggan was the pit bull assigned by McNamara to make Comerica Park come to fruition. I wonder if he got a better job offer today??

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    how far north does it go?
    That is the big, big question.

IF I read right this appears to be the answer:

"140,000 square feet of new mixed office and retail development on Woodward at Sproat St.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2Wh1PfkGD

It appears that this building will be adjacent to the northern most point of the arena.

18,000 seats is not enough. 3-4K more

I can't believe that people are surprised that this will be like Comerica Park Pt2. The caveats of might, should, may, etc are setting up nicely for it to be the stadium and nothing else.

Do you people really expect anything different from Ilitch? Columbia Street, retail on Woodward near Comerica, etc.

His plan isn't the sad part. The fact that people expected something different from the dream team of Ilitch and Jackson is the sad/laughable part.

Have to imagine that Hockeytown Cafe is extremely excited right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I can't believe that people are surprised that this will be like Comerica Park Pt2. The caveats of might, should, may, etc are setting up nicely for it to be the stadium and nothing else.

Do you people really expect anything different from Ilitch? Columbia Street, retail on Woodward near Comerica, etc.

His plan isn't the sad part. The fact that people expected something different from the dream team of Ilitch and Jackson is the sad/laughable part.

Well it's going to happen, so might as well be hopeful. Maybe Illitch is inspired by what Gilbert has done.

This article specifies a location for the arena:

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...etroit.html#/0

"The actual 650,000-square-foot arena would be located on Woodward Avenue from Sproat to Henry Street, and west to Park Avenue."

This is EXACTLY where I wanted it placed. I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well it's going to happen, so might as well be hopeful. Maybe Illitch is inspired by what Gilbert has done.
    The things that inspire Ilitch are money and the Tigers/Wings winning championships. Beyond that, I don't see much of a track record for anything else.

I'm not saying he should take on the role of a development guy but he is what he is and people keep expecting something different. I can't blame him for other people's expectations for him to do something different.

Have to imagine that Hockeytown Cafe is extremely excited right now.
    Why? It is not exactly news to the Ilitches that the Ilitches are proposing to build this here.

I hear Mike is going to use the same interior design firm. Pee Wee's Playhouse Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear Mike is going to use the same interior design firm. Pee Wee's Playhouse Inc.
    Downtown and midtown need more neon green.

Why? It is not exactly news to the Ilitches that the Ilitches are proposing to build this here.
    Ha, I was referring more to the managers/bartenders/servers. Although they might not be so happy after all. The cooks probably won't be...

So, lie back and enjoy it?

If Illitch was truly inspired by DG, seems he'd put a little more of his own stake into development instead of holding out a hand for 44% of the bill.

As with any Detroit development plan, I am cautiously optimistic. To be honest, I don't really care if it's only 18,000 seats. Bigger isn't always necessarily better...it costs more to build and it's more to maintain [[which is a consideration when talking about non-Wings events). In terms of design, I won't get very picky either. Almost anything will be better than the Joe. But those involved already said it will have an urban feel...so I expect it to at least be right on Woodward [[with a really, really wide sidewalk, most likely). I'm hoping it will have a look/feel of D.C.'s Verizon Center...which just blends in with the surroundings.

I hope the other stuff happens [[housing, hotel, retail, office) on the widespread scale they're saying [[GCP to the arena)...but I'd be more than happy with a well done arena.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

What are you talking about? This is all proceeding as expected and many of us are very excited about it.

All kidding aside, Olympia hired HKS, which is the same design firm that designed the new Cowboys Stadium.

I'm a bit more optimistic than some others concerning the mixed-use aspects. It's a very different environment today than when Comerica was built, with the influx of jobs and the demand for residential downtown.

If they want a place for their games they have one all ready. Any new stadium should not require public funding.

48009 Guest

Will the Joe get torn down or just remain vacant? I saw a concert there recently and it sounded SO horrible. I imagine the only reason concerts are thrown there is because it's much cheaper alternative to the Palace?

I am absolutely fucking livid about this. I'm so angry I could spit.

But then, I'm like that most of the time these days.

“The primary public funding mechanism for the $450 million center is a continuation of a projected $12.8 million-per-year property tax capture authorized by the State Legislature in December,” a

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2WhdG4QEg

You know, in between my fits of blinding rage, I was wondering why the state cut my homestead property tax credit in half. Besides that is obviously already such a privilege to live in a 3 bedroom bungalow in Detroit in beautiful Michigan.

Ah, I see, to finance a billionaire's wildly profitable entertainment complex.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not to be found among the no-tax tea party crowd.

I'd gladly pay more in taxes. I think schools should be palaces. I think teachers should be well paid. I think the law should be class sizes under 20. I think university should be affordable or free, if you're smart enough.

We need more cops. We need to treat our veterans and service my fellow members better. We need firehouses that aren't dangerous and rigs that aren't broken.

FYI, the Crosstown bus didn't show up today. We need to fix that. We also need regional mass transit.

THAT is what my taxes should be paying for. There is NO REASON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH I should be paying for this incontinent old fuck's money-making venture. You want some freaking entertainment? Yeah, so do the teenagers around here. The rec centers are all closed, and so are the libraries.

Guess what, people work at libraries too. Maybe if teachers and firefighters had some extra cash and didn't have to buy their own supplies
    they could pump that money into the economy. I'm sure they'd be content just watch the game at a bar once in a while.

Fuck this. This is stupid. I hope he dies and takes his dog of a wife with him before this monstrosity is ever completed. At least that old fuck can't take his money to hell with him.
    Last edited by poobert; June-19-13 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    As with any Detroit development plan, I am cautiously optimistic. To be honest, I don't really care if it's only 18,000 seats. Bigger isn't always necessarily better...it costs more to build and it's more to maintain [[which is a consideration when talking about non-Wings events). In terms of design, I won't get very picky either. Almost anything will be better than the Joe. But those involved already said it will have an urban feel...so I expect it to at least be right on Woodward [[with a really, really wide sidewalk, most likely). I'm hoping it will have a look/feel of D.C.'s Verizon Center...which just blends in with the surroundings.

I hope the other stuff happens [[housing, hotel, retail, office) on the widespread scale they're saying [[GCP to the arena)...but I'd be more than happy with a well done arena.
    My thoughts EXACTLY.

I thought of posting that Verizon Center should be the model. 18, 500 seats for hockey.

Verizon Center, I was by there Saturday, fits beautifully into a canyon of buildings and one can be two blocks away and not know that it is right there.

Nothing obtuse about it.

It does not stick out like Ford Field.

Yes, wide sidewalks are an absolute necessity.

Verizon Center fits literally on top of a subway stop. The new arena would be say a block away from M-1 stops.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I'm a bit more optimistic than some others concerning the mixed-use aspects. It's a very different environment today than when Comerica was built, with the influx of jobs and the demand for residential downtown.
    Bingo!!! I agree completely.

What business people know is that there is an optimal amount of development which makes sense and that amount is beyond the developer's [[i.e.,Ilitich's) control.

That amount is dynamic or ever changing, now it is for the better.

For Ilitich to do a dozen years ago what makes sense today would have been suicidal. There would have been little demand for his buildings.

The dumbest thing in the world is to build or renovate a large building and have it sit empty.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-19-13 at 05:32 PM.

If this location is correct, that could mean that the Eddystone and Harbor Light buildings could be saved. Hotels perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    This article specifies a location for the arena:

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...etroit.html#/0

"The actual 650,000-square-foot arena would be located on Woodward Avenue from Sproat to Henry Street, and west to Park Avenue."

This is EXACTLY where I wanted it placed. I'm happy.
    Last edited by rjlj; June-19-13 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    If this location is correct, that could mean that the Eddystone and Harbor Light buildings could be saved. Possible hotels?
    That's always been my hope that that was the residential component to all of this.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast