Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yes that rowhouse is it. And Nope, the only structures being demolished are that two-story parking garage and the outdated 1990's style bank. Currently the arena is on the backburner for neighborhood opposition and the neighbors are trying to block a 7-story office and data center from being built across the street on an empty lot.
    The parking garage there is ugly so I won't miss that but I'm still hoping the neighborhood opposition wins out and the arena is never built. It's laughable that Emanuel thinks that DePaul deserves a new arena. DePaul is a joke when it comes to basketball.

"Blame the lack of eminent domain."

What are you talking about? Eminent domain is still an option for a public body acquiring property for a public purposes for just compensation. If you mean Mike Ilitch being able to force people to sell at the price he wants, then no, that's not an option but that's also not eminent domain.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131022/BIZ/310220036/Deal-reached-sell-garage-planned-Wings-arena-district?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAG

Another property snatched up. I wonder how many more parcels need to be bought. I'm also curious to see if there are anymore legal hurdles to jump over and if financing is in place. Also, a clearly defined timeline would be nice to see rather then just approximations.

I have a hunch we won't see firm timelines or renderings until all parcels are in hand. Knowing how essential various plots are, or to which part of the master plan, plays into the hands of someone trying to sell. I assume that most parcels are now in some subsidiary-of-Olympia's hands, or the general announcement of a few months back would not have been made. I bet that in the next few months there will be a big, all-parties-on-board presser with arena drawings and a firm timeline. Probably waiting for 2 things: ownership of all the necessary land & a new mayor to cut the ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I have a hunch we won't see firm timelines or renderings until all parcels are in hand. Knowing how essential various plots are, or to which part of the master plan, plays into the hands of someone trying to sell. I assume that most parcels are now in some subsidiary-of-Olympia's hands, or the general announcement of a few months back would not have been made. I bet that in the next few months there will be a big, all-parties-on-board presser with arena drawings and a firm timeline. Probably waiting for 2 things: ownership of all the necessary land & a new mayor to cut the ribbon.
    Bingo!!

I still wouldn't count out the west Foxtown area... even though the Midtown site has "officially" already been chosen. It all depends on the holdout sellers and how much they want for their site.

doesn't the city council have a vote in november to approve it as well? i figured they were waiting for that.. no?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    doesn't the city council have a vote in november to approve it as well? i figured they were waiting for that.. no?
    I'm not sure, but I hope not, for 2 reasons. 1) They have no credibility in running the city. 2) If there is a way to screw this up, Detroit's City Council will find a way.

Gistok, I remember when the idea of Comerica & Ford Field were announced, the baseball stadium was supposed to be behind the Fox. But then the drawings came out and BAM, they were both on the East Side of Woodward. So, I agree, many factors might yet affect the configuration of what goes where. Although, the "entertainment disctrict" north of the expressway makes much less sense if the arena didn't land on that side. I'll just be glad to not have to walk through East Berlin to get to a Wings game.

As we are still waiting for any renderings or solid commitments as to what will comprise this arena "district," let me propose one thing that I think is a MUST-HAVE component for such a district, especially in light of all the space that Olympia is working with: an attached community ice rink for local youth teams to practice and play on. The exemplar of this is in downtown Newark, NJ, alongside its Prudential Center; the facility doubles as the NJ Devils' Practice Facility. Basically, the proposal is to build something like City Ice area on E. Lafayette, except right next door to the Wings' new home and decked out with the Wings' logo on the ice, banners in the rafters, and plenty of bleachers for friends and family.

The Newark facility is always busy with one travel/high-school team practicing after the next, or one game after the next, on most evenings and weekends. It's been a terrific way to bring consistent life into this forlorned, over-demolished urban renewal district at off-times. It is, obviously, a special experience for the kids that get to play under the same roof as the big-leaguers.

In Detroit, with its special regional interest in hockey, this will be all the more treasured, I believe. I imagine ice-time at any such facility to be highly coveted, and for there to be constant activity in and around the new arena district even when the Wings are off. The facility could connect to some sort of new Wings'/hockey museum or common space that I am sure Olympia is imagining, and really help local kids connect with the sport. The rink could be a perfect space for the organization to host clinics for local kids, particularly the underprivileged who may be interested in hockey. Lastly, this could provide some steady business to retailers and restauranteurs that open up near the new arena.

Given the amount of teams in the area, I doubt this would hurt City Arena much at all, particularly assuming that it still thrives on hosting teams from the near-east suburbs as it did a few years ago when I was last there.

Heck, maybe there should be two or three such rinks straddling the new arena? There is SO MUCH space.

Note, the exemplar in Newark, though abutting the Prudential Center, has its own corporate sponsor to assist in its funding. http://www.ahpavilion.com/index.php

Thoughts?

A second ice pad is a great idea but the Wings may not see it as necessary considering they are the only tenant in the building at the moment. Obviously if the Pistons are to come in the future then they need to at least designate space for the extra rink now. They paid so much money for all these lots though, will they consider it a worthwhile investment?

I like that idea. Perhaps the local high schools can use it? I don't have a lot of knowledge about the high school hockey scene in Detroit.

That sounds like a great idea; I know the high school football teams and their families get a big kick out of playing games at Ford Field. Would also be a great way to fill in the days when the pro team isn't playing. I hope someone of influence hears of your idea at Ilitch HQ!

This would be great, although I think building such a facility on the Wayne State campus or State Fairgrounds might be good as well. But yes, a Red Wings practice facility with community/school use time would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by finster View Post
    That sounds like a great idea; I know the high school football teams and their families get a big kick out of playing games at Ford Field. Would also be a great way to fill in the days when the pro team isn't playing. I hope someone of influence hears of your idea at Ilitch HQ!
    Most NHL teams are building a practice rink alongside their main rink these days... knowing the Ilitches though, it will be reserved for Red Wings practices. They do have a few amateur games at The Joe, but mostly Little Caesars teams.

This week, the Atlanta Braves announced a future move to suburban Cobb County. At least there's one mayor in this country who won't be shaken-down by Billionaires Needing Welfare. Not that Atlanta is a paragon of anything, but my accolades to Mr. Reed for getting his priorities straight.

Makes you wonder how Detroit and Michigan are suddenly so flush with ca$hola for Mr. Ilitch's disposal.

[[Atlanta Mayor Kasim) Reed said the Braves asked for between $150 million and $250 million for infrastructure improvements for the team to remain downtown. He said that would have left the city “absolutely cash-strapped” and unable to chip away at a nearly $1 billion infrastructure backlog.“Atlanta is not that liberal with our spending,” said the mayor.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta...stadium/nbp6N/

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    This week, the Atlanta Braves announced a future move to suburban Cobb County. At least there's one mayor in this country who won't be shaken-down by Billionaires Needing Welfare. Not that Atlanta is a paragon of anything, but my accolades to Mr. Reed for getting his priorities straight.

Makes you wonder how Detroit and Michigan are suddenly so flush with ca$hola for Mr. Ilitch's disposal.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta...stadium/nbp6N/[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I would argue that the fact that Turner Field 17 years old and a perfectly fine stadium as to why the Mayor gave a big middle finger to the Braves when asking for a new stadium. The Joe is much older and was already obsolete when it opened in the 70's.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta...stadium/nbp6N/[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Guess again. The city of Atlanta has no money left because they are helping fund a new stadium for the Falcons which will cost almost a billion dollars. This is for a team that will play 10 games a year instead of 81.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Guess again. The city of Atlanta has no money left because they are helping fund a new stadium for the Falcons which will cost almost a billion dollars. This is for a team that will play 10 games a year instead of 81.
    It's my understanding that funding for the new [[also unneeded) Falcons stadium will come from an existing hotel tax. Money for a Braves stadium would have required a brand new source of funding.

Like I said--Atlanta is no paragon. They never met a Huge Publicly Financed Project that they didn't like...until now. That doesn't excuse the City of Detroit and State of Michigan for coddling to Mr. Ilitch when so much of its infrastructure, and so many of its citizens, are in need. Although the City may own Joe Louis Arena, it's not their responsibility to ensure Mr. Ilitch's financial comfort.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; November-13-13 at 02:28 PM.

The Braves weren't asking the City of Atlanta to help fund a new stadium. The Braves were asking for 150 to 200 million to fund a major renovation of Turner Field. The city said no. I think it's stupid for them to move the team over this. But you have to wonder how much it's going to cost the city to demolish Turner Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    The Braves weren't asking the City of Atlanta to help fund a new stadium. The Braves were asking for 150 to 200 million to fund a major renovation of Turner Field. The city said no. I think it's stupid for them to move the team over this. But you have to wonder how much it's going to cost the city to demolish Turner Field.
    Demolition isn't going to be cheap [[And let's not forget that Detroit will be on the hook for demolition of the City-owned Joe Louis Arena, too). From what I've read, Atlanta plans to use the Turner Field site for mixed-use development, which will generate tax revenue on 365 days of the year, instead of just 81. In the long-term, this might be a better bet.

Demolition isn't going to be cheap [[And let's not forget that Detroit will be on the hook for demolition of the City-owned Joe Louis Arena, too). From what I've read, Atlanta plans to use the Turner Field site for mixed-use development, which will generate tax revenue on 365 days of the year, instead of just 81. In the long-term, this might be a better bet.
    You need to read up on your Cobo Center expansion and governance before coming out saying Detroit will be on the hook for Joe Louis Arena demolition....

The Atlanta Braves do not own Turner Field nor any of the land surrounding it. The city has never fulfilled it's original promise to "develop" the areas around there into an entertainment/mixed use development. The only attempt by the city was a putt putt golf center with a bar that wound up costing about $100,000/year to maintain and closed after a couple of years. All that translates into the fact that revenues for the Braves were minimized from the exhisting situation.

Cobb County comes in, promises to fund approximately 45% of the new stadium cost through local hotel/motel taxes altready in place as well as a general purpose bond and a possible assessment to businesses who are members of the Cobb Community Improvement District. The Atlanta
    Braves will own the new stadium as well as all 60 acres it will sit on. Plans are for the Braves to spearhead the acreage into that same entertainment district promised for Turner Field but with the Braves having a revenue stream from the entire 60 acre package.

The other contributing fact is that the significant majority of Braves ticket purchasers live in the nothern areas of Metro Atlanta. What that means is that many fans, myself included, don't want to attend a night game during the week that ends at 10:30 - 11PM and then have an hour to hour and a half ride home. That's why attendance at Braves games during the week are among the lowest in MLB.
    Last edited by Trumpeteer; November-14-13 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The Falcon's are agreeing to pay for $1.2 Billion of the now projected cost of $1.4 Billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The Atlanta Braves do not own Turner Field nor any of the land surrounding it. The city has never fulfilled it's original promise to "develop" the areas around there into an entertainment/mixed use development. The only attempt by the city was a putt putt golf center with a bar that wound up costing about $100,000/year to maintain and closed after a couple of years. All that translates into the fact that revenues for the Braves were minimized from the exhisting [sic] situation.
    And there ya go. That's what we have in America--a fascist system of government expected to keep billionaires fat, happy, and comfortable, and little else. We'll do everything we can to placate the holy sports franchise owners, but God forbid we feed starving people or put folks to work.

Maybe one day, us Tiny Tims can get some crumbs too.

Yea boy damn that nasty old America....

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The Atlanta Braves do not own Turner Field nor any of the land surrounding it. The city has never fulfilled it's original promise to "develop" the areas around there into an entertainment/mixed use development. The only attempt by the city was a putt putt golf center with a bar that wound up costing about $100,000/year to maintain and closed after a couple of years. All that translates into the fact that revenues for the Braves were minimized from the exhisting situation.

Cobb County comes in, promises to fund approximately 45% of the new stadium cost through local hotel/motel taxes altready in place as well as a general purpose bond and a possible assessment to businesses who are members of the Cobb Community Improvement District. The Atlanta
    Braves will own the new stadium as well as all 60 acres it will sit on. Plans are for the Braves to spearhead the acreage into that same entertainment district promised for Turner Field but with the Braves having a revenue stream from the entire 60 acre package.

The other contributing fact is that the significant majority of Braves ticket purchasers live in the nothern areas of Metro Atlanta. What that means is that many fans, myself included, don't want to attend a night game during the week that ends at 10:30 - 11PM and then have an hour to hour and a half ride home. That's why attendance at Braves games during the week are among the lowest in MLB.
    So conservative, GOP dominated Cobb Co.
    will provide massive tax dollars for a stadium and 60 acres the Braves will own. Sounds like a great trickle up of the publics money once again.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast