Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
Any landlords here?
I am thinking of purchasing a couple of properties. They are in an area we know and like and we have a couple of potential tenants.
The tenants are good people [[not related), however with the economy the way it is, I want the make sure the properties are available to those who can pay.
A co-worker mentioned renting out on week to week basis since its easier to evict someone. I had never heard of it until now. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Former landlord here - I've had dozens of rental properties in several different parts of the city over the past 3 decades. My advice would be to look for a different investment. While Detroit is very lax about inspections of rental properties [[ just about non-existent I think ) It's a horrible business now - insurance is sky high, property taxes are insane. Your average Detroit renter knows how to play the system like a piano - it's get the first months rent and security deposit and then the chase begins, the chase doesn't end until you throw them out then the cycle starts again. Of course when you have a vacant house you better pay somebody to stay there, if you don't your friendly neighbors will pick the place clean so fast it'll make your head spin.

I could go on and on, let's just say you better get your ducks in a row before you spend any money on rental property in Detroit