Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There's a furniture store [[the name escapes me) in the former Powerhouse Gym [[former Cadillac dealership) on Jefferson. Gardella's Furniture on Gratiot near Chene [[serving the Detroit community for YEARS), [[which, even if you don't need anything, I highly recommend you poke your head in the door, VERY unique place). There was a Anna's Linens in the former mall on the East side. They went belly-up for lack of patronage. There are numerous clothing stores around the Detroit area, National Dry Goods, on Trumbull, is one that comes to mind. Sounds like you want everything, including a National Park, right outside your doorstep. If you're going to live here, you're going to have to make an effort to find, shop, and patronize these Detroit community businesses.
    Those things are good but you are screwed if you don't have a car. The furniture store on Jefferson is not definetly Art Van nor Bright Ideas. Annas Linens went belly up for it was in the wrong location and the area that the store was to cater including the new housing went belly up with foreclosures and discontinued developments. Anna Linens would had done well in the downtown midtown area. Most of these locations are spreaded out. We have to think about those who don't have or don't want to own a vehicle. I am not expecting everything outside of my doorstep but I am expecting some type of retail district where stores are next to or not far from each other. Get out of the car and do some window shopping on foot to each of these store that you had named. Gardella is a nice store but the strip that its on is in bad need of being redeveloped. Don't forget to take your bodyguards or a gun when walking to some of these locations on foot. Gatoraide is highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Those things are good but you are screwed if you don't have a car. The furniture store on Jefferson is not definetly Art Van nor Bright Ideas. Annas Linens went belly up for it was in the wrong location and the area that the store was to cater including the new housing went belly up with foreclosures and discontinued developments. Anna Linens would had done well in the downtown midtown area. Most of these locations are spreaded out. We have to think about those who don't have or don't want to own a vehicle. I am not expecting everything outside of my doorstep but I am expecting some type of retail district where stores are next to or not far from each other. Get out of the car and do some window shopping on foot to each of these store that you had named. Gardella is a nice store but the strip that its on is in bad need of being redeveloped. Don't forget to take your bodyguards or a gun when walking to some of these locations on foot. Gatoraide is highly recommended
    Like I said "Sounds like you want everything, including a National Park, right outside your doorstep." Sorry Detroit is so inconvenient for you.

"If it was your Mom, would everyone still be kicking her ass on a public forum?"

Get a grip -- she sure is someone's mom, just Kwame is someone's dad. Both are public figures; and regarding my comment, it was a slam on B'ham and not someone's mom.

Nice strawman, among others, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "If it was your Mom, would everyone still be kicking her ass on a public forum?"

Get a grip -- she sure is someone's mom, just Kwame is someone's dad. Both are public figures; and regarding my comment, it was a slam on B'ham and not someone's mom.

Nice strawman, among others, btw.
    Make sure I'm addressing you before you respond. Did she steal $84 million from the tax payers of Detroit? She did? Well, then have @ it "strawman".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-17-13 at 07:58 AM.

Make sure I'm addressing you before you respond. Did she steal $84 million from the tax payers of Detroit? She did? Well, then have @ it "strawman".
    No reason to come unglued. Your post was right after mine; you failed to provided a quote in your response so it's clear that you were responding to me. The encumbrance is on you to provide context as to who you are addressing, as I did with you.

Just because you're sloppy doesn't give you the right to pop off. Do a better job next time and all will be well, k?

Now, either way no matter who you are addressing; it's a strawman among others.

Hey Lady! Birmingham is not Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, CA. It's downtown is nice and its people kept like business compare to Detroit's Avenue of Fashion and Downtown Grosse Pointes. If you don't our hood, move away. We don't give a ^&*% about you and your long time glamour.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    No reason to come unglued. Your post was right after mine; you failed to provided a quote in your response so it's clear that you were responding to me. The encumbrance is on you to provide context as to who you are addressing, as I did with you.

Just because you're sloppy doesn't give you the right to pop off. Do a better job next time and all will be well, k?

Now, either way no matter who you are addressing; it's a strawman among others.
    Just because your reading comprehension is poor, doesn't give YOU the right to pop off either. "k?"

I find this statement amusing. Even in the City, you can bike, hike, skate, jog, picnic, visit multiple museums, swim, playscape, all on Belle Isle, within minutes of anywhere in the City.
    Yep, I was thinking of BI too.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    People like the person your quoted don't have the ability to have a constructive conversation. Never mind that Detroit is more or less a ghost town after 5:00p on weekdays and pretty much the entire weekend
    I always wonder if people who say this actually spend time in Detroit after 5 and on the weekends. I was on the riverwalk yesterday evening and it was busy. No sports games, just people hanging downtown. Lots of people at Campus Martius too, although I didn't get any pictures.

Name:  20130616_195326[1].jpg
Views: 505
Size:  46.3 KBName:  20130616_195548[1].jpg
Views: 441
Size:  46.5 KBName:  20130616_200405[1].jpg
Views: 534
Size:  33.4 KBName:  20130616_200501[1].jpg
Views: 450
Size:  25.3 KB

I was responding to the post's name. The poster called her a celebrity. Just because she was on broadway decades ago does not make her one. Lots of people make it on Broadway who are nobodies. Celebraties for some reason are held up for the oddest reason. Kim Kardashian and Snooki are celebs for petes sakes. I don't give a crap what either thinks about anything. They are money grubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I always wonder if people who say this actually spend time in Detroit after 5 and on the weekends. I was on the riverwalk yesterday evening and it was busy. No sports games, just people hanging downtown. Lots of people at Campus Martius too, although I didn't get any pictures.

Name:  20130616_195326[1].jpg
Views: 505
Size:  46.3 KBName:  20130616_195548[1].jpg
Views: 441
Size:  46.5 KBName:  20130616_200405[1].jpg
Views: 534
Size:  33.4 KBName:  20130616_200501[1].jpg
Views: 450
Size:  25.3 KB
    "Dead" is a relative and figurative term.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yep, I was thinking of BI too.
    Well, now I'm confused. I like Belle Isle okay, but you're citing a park that lacks functioning restrooms - let alone any other amenities a park should have - as an ideal recreation spot. I guess that is, erm, rustic?

Again, a civic gem that is allowed to tarnish beyond recognition. Meanwhile, some of the biggest cheerleaders here themselves have expressed frustration that the handball courts and the east end of the island have been accessible due to some millionaire's toy cars. That is to say nothing of the road closures and the traffic, and the rent-a-cops blocking normal recreation. Again, it just seems like an odd place to cite as a prime example for what's right with the region when to any normal person it would appear wholly inadequate.

Then you go and deride our zip-coded friend for daring to have standards. Yeah, a lot of cities have ready access to national parks and natural areas, why is that so unbelievable? You know, those are the places a lot of our young people are moving to. The Metro Parks are a nice system, but only if you have a car and literally hours to spend driving to them, in most cases.

I'd honestly rather not go on and on about problems, though. But when we pretend everything is fine that virtually precludes any room for improvement. We see that with the city and the suburbs.

The lower eastside has been almost entirely vacated. What if we turned it into a state park? A nature preserve? An arboretum? You know, it seems far-fetched, but you travel to other cities and you see these kinds of innovative projects happening all the time. They have the will, though, and it helps when they have a functioning government.

Just because your reading comprehension is poor, doesn't give YOU the right to pop off either. "k?"
    Gooood gravy. - insert eyeroll here -

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    "Dead" is a relative and figurative term.
    Uh huh. Pictures from stuff I've done on weekdays, after work, in Detroit. Definitely not a "ghost town" after work or on weekends. You can always find something to do - with other people - in downtown Detroit.

48009 Guest

Will you please stop posting pictures like you're attempting to sway a clueless jury? Nobody is surprised to see people at concerts or ball games. And the other pictures look depressing. Everyone knows Mon-Fri 99% of Detroit workers head for 75N, 94 and the Lodge at 4:59p. The NY Times said so in their Gilbert profile. Most shops aren't open on the weekends because there is nobody there. What is the purpose of this cheerleading effort? Unless you're a speculator or trying to sell a building, it does nothing for long term Detroit or the area when you PRETEND everything is great. Nobody believes you anyway, so just stop. I suppose it's possible you're in denial but nobody can be THAT clueless.
    Last edited by 48009; June-17-13 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I was responding to the post's name. The poster called her a celebrity. Just because she was on broadway decades ago does not make her one. Lots of people make it on Broadway who are nobodies. Celebraties for some reason are held up for the oddest reason. Kim Kardashian and Snooki are celebs for petes sakes. I don't give a crap what either thinks about anything. They are money grubbers.
    She was Jack Donaghy's mom. That's where I know her from...

Will you please stop posting pictures like you're attempting to sway a clueless jury? Everyone knows 99% of employees head for 75N, 94 and the Lodge at 4:59p. The NY Times said so in their Gilbert profile. Most shops aren't open on the weekends because there is nobody there. What is the purpose of this cheerleading effort? Unless you're a speculator or trying to sell a building, it does nothing for long term Detroit or the area when you PRETEND everything is great.
    Sometimes on Fridays, they head out at 4:30pm.

The tumbleweeds usually start coming through around 4:45ish, on those days.

Will you please stop posting pictures like you're attempting to sway a clueless jury? Everyone knows 99% of employees head for 75N, 94 and the Lodge at 4:59p. The NY Times said so in their Gilbert profile. Most shops aren't open on the weekends because there is nobody there. What is the purpose of this cheerleading effort? Unless you're a speculator or trying to sell a building, it does nothing for long term Detroit or the area when you PRETEND everything is great.
    Yes, why post visual confirmation when we can rely on a news article from another city garnering for clicks [[written from the perspective of someone who lives in the country's densest city that has a notorious complex for downplaying every other American city)? I always defer to op-eds instead of my own eyes.

And wait, so by saying it's not dead on evenings and weekends means that I'm arguing everything is great? I certainly don't think everything is great. I was, however, refuting the fact that it is a ghost town after work and on weekends. As busy as Chicago, the city I moved from? No. But a far cry from a ghost town.

Also, last I checked, there were ~700,000 people in Detroit. 99% of the 100,000 suburbanites [[or however many it is) leaving after work doesn't change the fact that there are still people downtown hanging out.
    Last edited by TexasT; June-17-13 at 09:41 AM.

This entire thread should just be deleted.

Yes, why post visual confirmation when we can rely on a news article from another city garnering for clicks [[written from the perspective of someone who lives in the country's densest city that has a notorious complex for downplaying every other American city)? I always defer to op-eds instead of my own eyes.

And wait, so by saying it's not dead on evenings and weekends means that I'm arguing everything is great? I certainly don't think everything is great. I was, however, refuting the fact that it is a ghost town after work and on weekends. As busy as Chicago, the city I moved from? No. But a far cry from a ghost town.

Also, last I checked, there were ~700,000 people in Detroit. 99% of the 100,000 suburbanites leaving after work doesn't change the fact that there are still people downtown hanging out [[nevermind the fact that 1% of 100,000 means there are still 1,000 suburbanites hanging out).
    Can we all acknowledge, that yes there are some things to do and the CBD has seen a lot of improvement, but to someone that is used to Manhattan, it's probably a far cry than what they are used to?

I mean, it's great that I can hit happy hour and hang out at CM at lunch, but say I would like to go see a play or broadway show or art exhibit or shop ...etc. We might have a touring company of a show here for a weekend or some special travelling exhibit, and one or two shops here and there... whereas that sort of thing can be had on a Tuesday night in NY [[or in a lot of other places) ...any time of the year with almost limitless choice.

My whole issue with her comment though, was; what the fuck did she expect?
    Last edited by bailey; June-17-13 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Well, now I'm confused. I like Belle Isle okay, but you're citing a park that lacks functioning restrooms - let alone any other amenities a park should have - as an ideal recreation spot. I guess that is, erm, rustic?

Again, a civic gem that is allowed to tarnish beyond recognition. Meanwhile, some of the biggest cheerleaders here themselves have expressed frustration that the handball courts and the east end of the island have been accessible due to some millionaire's toy cars. That is to say nothing of the road closures and the traffic, and the rent-a-cops blocking normal recreation. Again, it just seems like an odd place to cite as a prime example for what's right with the region when to any normal person it would appear wholly inadequate.

Then you go and deride our zip-coded friend for daring to have standards. ...

I think you were trying to respond to Honky Tonk, not me since I haven't derided anyone.

I don't know if BI is an "ideal recreation spot" but originally you said there was nowhere to "access nature". You can do that there. [[Yes, assuming there is no special event blocking access.)
    Last edited by Pam; June-17-13 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Can we all acknowledge, that yes there are some things to do and the CBD has seen a lot of improvement, but to someone that is used to Manhattan, it's probably a far cry than what they are used to?

I mean, it's great that I can hit happy hour and hang out at CM at lunch, but say I would like to go see a play or broadway show or art exhibit or shop ...etc. We might have a touring company of a show here for a weekend or some special travelling exhibit, and one or two shops here and there... whereas that sort of thing can be had on a Tuesday night in NY [[or in a lot of other places) ...any time of the year with almost limitless choice.

Nothing quite compares to Manhattan, so I don't know what she expected. Then again, NYers love bitching about how every place is boring compared to NYC. So, what the fuck did we expect?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm pretty sure she didn't expect Birmingham to be Manhattan. No person realistically expects to find New York outside of New York. However, she clearly expected Birmingham to offer more than what she got. Birmingham tries to sell itself as the center of urban sophistication for the Detroit area which I'm sure is why she chose to live there. It fell short of expectations. She stated her dissatisfaction. The world continues to spin.

Also, last I checked, there were ~700,000 people in Detroit. 99% of the 100,000 suburbanites [[or however many it is) leaving after work doesn't change the fact that there are still people downtown hanging out.
    98% of Detroiters live outside of Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    98% of Detroiters live outside of Downtown.
    Is there some wall preventing Detroiters from coming downtown? I don't live downtown and yet, there I was yesterday evening. The majority of people I saw on the river walk last night had children with them so I doubt most of them live downtown. Yet, there they were.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast