Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ditto on that. The longer she stays and gets adjusted and meet other her age and younger who are vibrant and knowledgeable of the well known and off beat things and events the better. That will take a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm with Gazhekwe. Moving at that age, leaving behind a dwindling number of friends and a ton of memories has to be a tough adjustment no matter where one moves away from.

So welcome to the D Elaine!

An advantage of living in Birmingham is you're close enough to enjoy the good things Detroit has to offer and then you get to go home to go for your walks.

Here's the thing. If someone says something bad about any place around here, people from that place get all uppity, trying to tell them why they're wrong. In NYC, people say things [[like the garbage comment) and it gets laughed off.

There is a different air in NYC. An old friend of mine put it perfectly when he said "We live in New York so we can sit in our apartments knowing that we could be out there doing something." There is THAT much going on. And it's not driving down to a strip mall to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Here's the thing. If someone says something bad about any place around here, people from that place get all uppity, trying to tell them why they're wrong. In NYC, people say things [[like the garbage comment) and it gets laughed off.

There is a different air in NYC. An old friend of mine put it perfectly when he said "We live in New York so we can sit in our apartments knowing that we could be out there doing something." There is THAT much going on. And it's not driving down to a strip mall to shop.
    Yep. As I said before, Michigan suffers from an inferiority complex. If it were the best place since sliced bread, people wouldn't get in such an uproar when people provide what they perceive to be false criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Well stasu1213, if you think that the only time that downtown is vibrant, is when there is a game at Comerica Park, then stay away. There are events constantly going on all the time. do a little research and you will find great music at many venues, concerts at many venues, children events at many venues, art shows at many venues. downtown has many things going on other than the tigers. learn a little before you make a comment that insults us detroiters who now different.
    I am downtown all of the time. I don't need to do further research. I know that children events are being held at the Fox. Everyone is not interested in art, bar and grills, and the like. Tell me of an event that is downtown this weekend that is family friendly. Tell me where downtown where a person such as this celebrity could window shop if not make actual purchases. Downtown even under Kilpatrick had more activities than it does now. Many restaurants and retail don't open on the weekends for there are not enough people coming downtown on the weekends to support their businesses. Downtown is good for party like activities but is terrible for daytime activities that does not cost much money to do. I am not going to put down Birmingham, New York, and other busy cities for those cities are always busy during the weekday and weekends and don't need and art show or childrens events at a theatre to come them busy doing the weekends. You do your research

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am downtown all of the time. I don't need to do further research. I know that children events are being held at the Fox. Everyone is not interested in art, bar and grills, and the like. Tell me of an event that is downtown this weekend that is family friendly. Tell me where downtown where a person such as this celebrity could window shop if not make actual purchases. Downtown even under Kilpatrick had more activities than it does now. Many restaurants and retail don't open on the weekends for there are not enough people coming downtown on the weekends to support their businesses. Downtown is good for party like activities but is terrible for daytime activities that does not cost much money to do. I am not going to put down Birmingham, New York, and other busy cities for those cities are always busy during the weekday and weekends and don't need and art show or childrens events at a theatre to come them busy doing the weekends. You do your research
    If you can't find anything for you and your family to do, on the weekend @ either the DIA or the Detroit Hysterical Museum, you're not trying.

What, "5 stages of entertainment," a parade, a doggie drag show, and even "family activities" down by the river and an interfaith service wasn't good enough for you?

http://motorcitypride.herokuapp.com/....ZtxrXLdM.dpbs

Perhaps this weekend you need to go all the way to Hamtramck then for the [[very yummy) Bangladesh Festival...
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-16-13 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What, "5 stages of entertainment," a parade, a doggie drag show, and even "family activities" down by the river and an interfaith service not good enough for you?

http://motorcitypride.herokuapp.com/....ZtxrXLdM.dpbs

Perhaps you need to go all the way to Hamtramck then for the [[very yummy) Bangladesh Festival...
    Is the Desh' Fest still going on today? Anyone know?

I believe it is.

48009 Guest

Instead of making fun of this old woman, who spent $1,500,000 to give her hometown another shot, why don't we talk about why Birmingham has lost its appeal? For the last 10 years city officials have tried to cater to outsiders, with bars and bistros that attract obnoxious outsiders--when the appeal of Birmingham has been a tight-knit conversative town. You have the foreclosure crisis letting in people who couldn't afford to live in Birmingham buying houses on the fringe areas of town. Or, homeowners renting to people who can't afford to buy.

48009 Guest

Then there are three types of families moving out, that used to be the pillars of the town: You have the younger professional couples taking those offers from corporate to relocate, you have the older families with kids leaving for college who now have the freedom to leave, and the seniors selling to move to Florida full time. Birmingham is changing, and everyone who has lived there recognizes it's not changing for the better. The people moving in are a different breed. They're not the low-key conservatives, they're flashy and tacky and loud--attracted to Birmingham because they yearn for some sort of prestige. I applaud Elaine for giving Birmingham a shot but the town will never be the same, it's only going to get worse.
    Last edited by 48009; June-16-13 at 01:53 PM.

48009 Guest

The Emmy-winning star and longtime Stephen Sondheim interpreter announced last month that she is moving back to Birmingham, Mich., to be closer to her nieces and nephews.
    Sad truth is that she's not alone. Many people don't want to come back, but the draw that lures them back to Metro Detroit is to return to an area where a lot of your family is. With so many families fleeing the past 10-15 years, fewer and fewer family remain in SE Michigan, which means fewer and fewer even think about returning.

Michigan doesn't have an inferiority complex. It has a superiority complex. It is, in essence, the "Big 3" mentality. Everyone else must be wrong, because we're right...to the bitter end.

Take a good, long, look in the mirror. You don't look so good. Families with children, the college-educated, and even the poor have been leaving at a staggering rate. Your largest city is bankrupt, and the surrounding suburbs have no appetite for change or improvement. At best, they're fighting a slow, painful battle against creeping blight from Detroit. Mass transit is DOA. You brag about the DIA, but its very collection is in danger because we've collectively chosen to ignore our regional problems. The jobless rate is stubbornly high, and the biggest infrastructure improvement we can claim is highway widening - in 2013. There isn't any ready access to nature or a bike or trail system of any significance, just miles of sprawl. About the best thing to do is drink yourself half-blind, there are at least enough places to do that, I suppose.

The sooner we can be honest with ourselves, like a drug addict, the sooner we can get better. However there is clearly no willpower here for that.

As I've mentioned before, I've in the reserve forces, and those active duty folks I'm with who get stationed here treat it like a death sentence. They eagerly await their orders for the Middle East. Huh.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Michigan doesn't have an inferiority complex. It has a superiority complex. It is, in essence, the "Big 3" mentality. Everyone else must be wrong, because we're right...to the bitter end.

Take a good, long, look in the mirror. You don't look so good. Families with children, the college-educated, and even the poor have been leaving at a staggering rate. Your largest city is bankrupt, and the surrounding suburbs have no appetite for change or improvement. At best, they're fighting a slow, painful battle against creeping blight from Detroit. Mass transit is DOA. You brag about the DIA, but its very collection is in danger because we've collectively chosen to ignore our regional problems. The jobless rate is stubbornly high, and the biggest infrastructure improvement we can claim is highway widening - in 2013. There isn't any ready access to nature or a bike or trail system of any significance, just miles of sprawl. About the best thing to do is drink yourself half-blind, there are at least enough places to do that, I suppose.

The sooner we can be honest with ourselves, like a drug addict, the sooner we can get better. However there is clearly no willpower here for that.

As I've mentioned before, I've in the reserve forces, and those active duty folks I'm with who get stationed here treat it like a death sentence. They eagerly await their orders for the Middle East. Huh.
    Well put. I think the bias and "superiority complex" comes from people who can't move. If you have no option to leave SE Michigan [[be it because you can't afford to, you are unqualified to find work elsewhere -- or you're simply too scared to try a new location -- or your industry or business is headquartered here), you're going to save face and pretend the area has redeemable qualities. Or if your business is here you're obviously dependent on SE Michigan's survival, so you're likely to speak of the area with rose colored glasses. I suppose it's also possible that some of the cheerleaders haven't traveled much in their life, so they don't know any better?

I agree with her. Hang out in the downtown area on a Saturday or Sunday when there is not a game going on at Comerica Park. The only shop that is open is MooseJaw. Downtown Detroit is a ghost town otherwise. I hope that Dan Gilbert is successful getting the extra retail downtown. I hope that he does not have to go through red tape that the city put up to make it difficult for retail. I had heard that other retail is looking to open downtown. Reps had been scouting the place to search for a good spot to open. It is a shame that one would have to travel out to Royal Oak, Birmingham, Grose Pointe, and Ferndale just to find something to do
    Little confused on those comments,, do we live in the same downtown ??? There are at least twenty other notable venues downtown going on all the time,, Ive lived here since 1989 and have yet to have a "boring" weekend yet downtown,, Someone needs to open their eyes a bit if they think Comerica is the only thing that is going on .

NYC is in a class of its own. There is no fair comparison that can be made to Detroit, or to almost any other city in the US for that matter. Back in my college [[and post-college) years, my friends and I would spend a week or two every spring in the city. Loved it.

I can't imagine Ms. Stritch expected anything close to the social/theater scene she experienced in Manhattan. I think it's equally as foolish to think that what she's saying reflects as negatively on Birmingham as some seem to suggest. In fact, this whole discussion is getting ridiculous.

We like living here. My wife wasn't raised here, she moved willingly. I don't understand the negative generalizations. No one with any sense believes that this city [[and region) is without major issues that need to be resolved. But it also offers a lot, and in general, is a very desirable place to live for a lot of us.

We've never lacked entertainment options. Any boredom has been due to laziness, to be honest.

Detroit, despite its tremendous problems, has given us countless memorable outings. We really like Birmingham, too, and look forward to meeting friends there for dinner on warm summer nights. We even had a really enjoyable weekend around town in Livonia - a fact that some members of this message board might have trouble believing.

Like my peers, I hear of opportunities from engineering recruiters all over the country on a weekly basis. As a result, we likely have the ability to live just about anywhere we want to. I have no fear of something new, nor do I have a lack of experience and travel. There is just no compelling reason to do so.

If we're happy, why do you have a problem with it?

48009 Guest

Nobody has a problem with you liking the area. That's fantastic that you do. But some of the cheerleaders refuse to acknowledge how bad things truly are. Since the housing and auto industry crash of 07/08 *HALF* of the homes sold in Birmingham and Bloomfield have been bank owned. You're talking about buyers that had no chance of moving in fifteen years ago. People are fleeing and the signs of blight have crept into the areas most exclusive enclaves.

There isn't any ready access to nature or a bike or trail system of any significance, just miles of sprawl
    I find this statement confusing. Between metro parks and state parks there are a lot of parks in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I find this statement confusing. Between metro parks and state parks there are a lot of parks in the region.
    I find this statement amusing. Even in the City, you can bike, hike, skate, jog, picnic, visit multiple museums, swim, playscape, all on Belle Isle, within minutes of anywhere in the City.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Little confused on those comments,, do we live in the same downtown ??? There are at least twenty other notable venues downtown going on all the time,, Ive lived here since 1989 and have yet to have a "boring" weekend yet downtown,, Someone needs to open their eyes a bit if they think Comerica is the only thing that is going on .
    Shopping is a major draw to the downtown areas in any city. That is what downtown Detroit lack. Shopping along with entertainment create a thriving downtown. I not saying that we have to compete against New York. I am saying that retail will create a thriving downtown midtown district. There are things to do for those such as myself who love going to the DIA, the riverwalk, and a good baseball game. What about those who want to shop. They are forced to go to the suburbs to shop for clothing, linens, and appliances. The once thriving neighborhood retail districts are lacking those things as well. Many people who visit Detroit would say that it is a fun town but nowhere to shop. We have to think outside of the box and beyond our four walls

48009 Guest

Shopping is a major draw to the downtown areas in any city. That is what downtown Detroit lack. Shopping along with entertainment create a thriving downtown. I not saying that we have to compete against New York. I am saying that retail will create a thriving downtown midtown district. There are things to do for those such as myself who love going to the DIA, the riverwalk, and a good baseball game. What about those who want to shop. They are forced to go to the suburbs to shop for clothing, linens, and appliances. The once thriving neighborhood retail districts are lacking those things as well. Many people who visit Detroit would say that it is a fun town but nowhere to shop. We have to think outside of the box and beyond our four walls
    Once thriving...four decades ago.

People like the person your quoted don't have the ability to have a constructive conversation. Never mind that Detroit is more or less a ghost town after 5:00p on weekdays and pretty much the entire weekend--WE'RE somehow missing the sights of a booming metropolis. Detroit is the place to be, just none of us squares know it. People in denial aren't accomplishing anything--you're not convincing.

There's a furniture store [[the name escapes me) in the former Powerhouse Gym [[former Cadillac dealership) on Jefferson. Gardella's Furniture on Gratiot near Chene [[serving the Detroit community for YEARS), [[which, even if you don't need anything, I highly recommend you poke your head in the door, VERY unique place). There was a Anna's Linens in the former mall on the East side. They went belly-up for lack of patronage. There are numerous clothing stores around the Detroit area, National Dry Goods, on Trumbull, is one that comes to mind. Sounds like you want everything, including a National Park, right outside your doorstep. If you're going to live here, you're going to have to make an effort to find, shop, and patronize these Detroit community businesses.

Seriously why is this lady considered a celebrity? Who cares?

There's plenty in B'ham that would keep one busy for weeks.

Oh, sorry . . .

Seriously? She's an older woman, once a Broadway toast of the town, who's now moved to a mid-eastern 'burb, and misses her former glory. If it was your Mom, would everyone still be kicking her ass on a public forum?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast