Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    There have been rumors that George was even ticked off about Gilbert's development because he thought the DECG should be running the show and all development should go through him.
    This struck me because I was recently thinking about what the DEGC thought about Gilbert's plans. I know the announcements typically seem to include them, but it does feel like Gilbert is being looked at as the man behind revitalizing downtown when for years the DEGC used that as their identity.

On the plan...I have mixed feelings. I would prefer this idea to a Walmart. However, I myself found it odd that the MLB cannot fund this idea on their own. Seriously...the MLB cannot afford $5-6 million for an academy to be built? Granted, they may be taking on the long term costs of paying instructors & upkeep [[I don't know). But honestly, I would like to see something on a grander scale at the site considering it's taking this long to develop. It's a lot of land in a community that's making a few strides for the better. Perhaps something that blends housing and retail would be a better fit.

I once had a pipe dream that an MLS soccer stadium would be built there, but I woke up :P

Sounds like it may be time for another historic preservation award for Mr. Jackson ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    This struck me because I was recently thinking about what the DEGC thought about Gilbert's plans. I know the announcements typically seem to include them, but it does feel like Gilbert is being looked at as the man behind revitalizing downtown when for years the DEGC used that as their identity.

On the plan...I have mixed feelings. I would prefer this idea to a Walmart. However, I myself found it odd that the MLB cannot fund this idea on their own. Seriously...the MLB cannot afford $5-6 million for an academy to be built? Granted, they may be taking on the long term costs of paying instructors & upkeep [[I don't know). But honestly, I would like to see something on a grander scale at the site considering it's taking this long to develop. It's a lot of land in a community that's making a few strides for the better. Perhaps something that blends housing and retail would be a better fit.

I once had a pipe dream that an MLS soccer stadium would be built there, but I woke up :P
    Maybe a gun range or a pit bull training area?

How many plans have we seen for this site? George is blowing smoke to make himself look important. He should have had this developed years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post

I don't think it's that MLB can't afford to fund it, I just don't think they want to. They're not going to be the only ones benefiting from it and as a result are interested in sharing the cost with others who will as well.

Now an MLS stadium would be awesome.

Economic development corporations should be abolished. It combines the worst aspects of corporatism with government-backed cronyism.

Go check out how badly the Los Angeles development corporation screwed over that city. It actually ruined a few perfectly decent neighborhoods - turning old, but occupied, houses and businesses into urban prairie.

"Now an MLS stadium would be awesome."

Had one; it was called the Pontiac Silverdome. Saw many a Detroit Express victory [[and a Chapionship) there. Great time; too bad this was long before soccer gained in popularity. I think I may still have some Express memorbilia around here someplace . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Economic development corporations should be abolished. It combines the worst aspects of corporatism with government-backed cronyism.

Go check out how badly the Los Angeles development corporation screwed over that city. It actually ruined a few perfectly decent neighborhoods - turning old, but occupied, houses and businesses into urban prairie.

i think it would be "urban desert" in LA

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post

Link an article about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I don't think it's that MLB can't afford to fund it, I just don't think they want to. They're not going to be the only ones benefiting from it and as a result are interested in sharing the cost with others who will as well.

Now an MLS stadium would be awesome.
    or a DCFC stadium...

Illitch seems to have a hand in trying to make sure that whatever is done with the site has nothing to do with baseball at all. It's like he wants people to forget the Tigers existed before he owned them.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Illitch seems to have a hand in trying to make sure that whatever is done with the site has nothing to do with baseball at all. It's like he wants people to forget the Tigers existed before he owned them.
    Comerica Park pays tribute to the team's history probably more than any other MLB ballpark. The guy hired Kaline and Horton full-time and has just finished flying in the '68 and '84 teams for tributes the past couple of years. Don't confuse the Tiger Stadium site with the his patronage of the team's history.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Comerica Park pays tribute to the team's history probably more than any other MLB ballpark.
    Whereas Fenway Park or Wrigley Field ARE tributes to the teams' histories.

Ilitch moved to the new stadium so he could control it all: The parking, the concessions, the drinks, skyboxes. It's a bigfoot modern stadium that put surface parking on Woodward. What looks like an appealing design actually offers very little in the way of shade [[probably to pump up beverage sales). Billionaire Ilitch, through his political connections, got the public to kick in a ton of money for his own empire, then raided the Tiger Stadium protection fund, and got the city to pay for tearing it down. Now, through his proxy George Jackson, he refuses to let even a modest baseball purpose return to the Corner, not just because he knows it's a natural spot for baseball, but because it's the scene of the crime.

I've had it with Mike Ilitch and his family. You can praise them all you want, but this individual is sick and tired of this parsimonious parking lot king getting lauded for fixing up a theater, once, more than 20 years ago, and trying to get the public to pay for what he should be funding out of his billionaire pockets. Fine. Go ahead and knock down the fabric of downtown for your entertainment empire. Go ahead and shake down the public for more money. Build parking lots and stadiums until your dreams come true. Who cares, right? It's fucking Chinatown.

But stop siccing George Jackson on the Corner. Not everything is competition to your tinhorn empire. Stop trying to derail or wipe out history by playing Herod the Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Whereas Fenway Park or Wrigley Field ARE tributes to the teams' histories.

Ilitch moved to the new stadium so he could control it all: The parking, the concessions, the drinks, skyboxes. It's a bigfoot modern stadium that put surface parking on Woodward. What looks like an appealing design actually offers very little in the way of shade [[probably to pump up beverage sales). Billionaire Ilitch, through his political connections, got the public to kick in a ton of money for his own empire, then raided the Tiger Stadium protection fund, and got the city to pay for tearing it down. Now, through his proxy George Jackson, he refuses to let even a modest baseball purpose return to the Corner, not just because he knows it's a natural spot for baseball, but because it's the scene of the crime.

I've had it with Mike Ilitch and his family. You can praise them all you want, but this individual is sick and tired of this parsimonious parking lot king getting lauded for fixing up a theater, once, more than 20 years ago, and trying to get the public to pay for what he should be funding out of his billionaire pockets. Fine. Go ahead and knock down the fabric of downtown for your entertainment empire. Go ahead and shake down the public for more money. Build parking lots and stadiums until your dreams come true. Who cares, right? It's fucking Chinatown.

But stop siccing George Jackson on the Corner. Not everything is competition to your tinhorn empire. Stop trying to derail or wipe out history by playing Herod the Great.
    Good post. I totally agree.

^^Bravo, nerd!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2