Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hantz Woodlands

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What's up, sumas? Hantz put up some of his own money to develop the concept, propose it to the city and then jump through all the hoops. He's a resident of the neighborhood, not an absentee landlord, which we have up the wazoo already. I, too, had some concerns early on, and when Bing tried to fast-track it through, I, for one, was happy that Council paused and did the due diligence called for on a plan like this. Now, only a few month later, you're belly-aching. For what? What would you have done with the parcels? And would you have something to show for it just a few months after getting approval [[and putting up your OWN cash)?

May I suggest you direct your energies and anger toward Mike Ilitch who has bought up properties in the prime downtown area, and has let them rot, not for months, or years, but some for decades.
    Can't see that I was bellyaching. I said I was DISAPPOINTED that it did not go full boat on plans. Have you checked out his experimental Farm at his business property in Detroit. We did.

Did you go to council or LEAP or to Genesis church, or Villages of Detroit where all this was discussed at info meetings Warren Conner Community Development org. etc. We did.

As for that crappy comment from another forumer about Detroiters wanting a free ride... go float a boat at the yacht club. We open our doors all the time to give our neighborhood residents access to internet job postings and assistance with resumes.

Kind of remember why I stopped posting 2 years ago. Such negative bull. Pretty sure I could say have a nice day and someone will say something negative.

Went to Home Depot and bought mulch for our neighbor hood kids gardens on the berms [[5 in all) this morning. Also bought pie shells for sour cream apple pies I am baking to help neighbors in Mexican town that have a fund raiser to save their home from foreclosure.

Please do not tell me I am not Detroit or understand residents needs. One of our neighbors got a job as a dish washer at an Eastern Market restaurant. Cushy job, huh?

He was so happy to get even that. They are so happy with him that he is getting promoted to line cook. He is planning to get an associates from WCCC after earning his GED. If you aren't Detroit and in the trenches just shut up.

Go buy your organic produce at suburban markets. Go post crap on the news forums.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...s_worl.html#/0

Crews are clearing debris, tearing down blighted structures and mowing grass on parcels of land owned by the company, and have begun planting 2-foot high oak, maple and poplar seedlings.

Hantz Woodlands' goal is to have at least 15,000 trees planted and 50 blighted structures torn down in two years on parcels of land that weave in and out of existing neighborhoods.
    None of the planting areas will be fenced off, and parcels owned by Hantz Woodlands will be mowed no later than every three weeks during the growing season, Score said.

Score and two other Hantz Woodlands crew members are currently mowing, planting trees and maintaining about 300 parcels of land, mostly along or near Mt. Elliott Street. That area is within Davison, Brimson, St. Louis and Dwyer.
    The Mt. Elliott area of Hantz Woodlands is expected be home to at least 1,000 trees; crews found 430 tires in 34 parcels and 150 cubic yards of household trash while preparing the area for planting.

Sounds like they are making a lot of progress but I don't love this statement:

parcels owned by Hantz Woodlands will be mowed no later than every three weeks during the growing season

In the late spring/early summer, grass and weeds can grow pretty damn high in a matter of three weeks. It may be better than burnt out buildings but it certainly won't look nice with a maintenance schedule like that.

Alberta Tinsley-Talbi is hosting a walking tour with Michael Score, president of Hantz Woodlands on Friday, July 19th @ 6 pm starting from Mack Alive located @ 3746 Fischer, Detroit,MI RSVP to 855 737-2882 or by email district2@house.mi.gov

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Alberta Tinsley-Talbi is hosting a walking tour with Michael Score, president of Hantz Woodlands on Friday, July 19th @ 6 pm starting from Mack Alive located @ 3746 Fischer, Detroit,MI RSVP to 855 737-2882 or by email district2@house.mi.gov
    Thanx sumas, I'm in.

Hi sumas, I'm getting an invalid e-mail address reply. Could you check that you've posted the correct address? Thanx.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
    district2@house.mi.gov
    The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

A few before and after pics, apparently from April of this year, to whet the appettite.

http://hantzwoodlands.com/gallery1.html

As someone posted previously, he hasn't done much, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    As someone posted previously, he hasn't done much, has he?
    Not much!

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-27 at 11.26.35 AM.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  31.1 KB

I suppose we could have "rehabbed" the structure in the "Before" shot to "save the neighborhood".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hi sumas, I'm getting an invalid e-mail address reply. Could you check that you've posted the correct address? Thanx.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
    district2@house.mi.gov
    The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
    That's the email listed in the body of the letter. I looked at the letterhead itself and here is that address: albertatalabi@house.mi.gov

I tried the toll free number but only got unidentified voice mail. Letterhead lists a Lansing # of 517 373-1776.

If none of these work Somewhere around here I have her personal cell or I could just go knock on her door.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Sounds like they are making a lot of progress but I don't love this statement:

parcels owned by Hantz Woodlands will be mowed no later than every three weeks during the growing season

In the late spring/early summer, grass and weeds can grow pretty damn high in a matter of three weeks. It may be better than burnt out buildings but it certainly won't look nice with a maintenance schedule like that.
    Since it says, "no later than every three weeks" I'm not concerned. There's been a lot of jumping the gun to criticize his operation, but from the updates and photos here, it appears he is doing what he promised he would do.

Since it says, "no later than every three weeks" I'm not concerned. There's been a lot of jumping the gun to criticize his operation, but from the updates and photos here, it appears he is doing what he promised he would do.
    and looking at some of those before and after photos, it looks like some of those areas were mowed about once every three years.

That's a good point.

The mlive article states that Hantz is working on 300 parcels, but that the transfer of another 1,500 is still not complete - so there is a limit on what they could be accomplishing now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The mlive article states that Hantz is working on 300 parcels, but that the transfer of another 1,500 is still not complete - so there is a limit on what they could be accomplishing now.
    The point is he project is moving along nicely and area is an improvement over the way it was. It's going to take a while. This isn't a half hour TV sitcom.

Apparently they continue to clear and clean up more vacant lots, even before they are officially transferred by the city. Unfortunately, they made a grisly discovery today.

Human skull discovered during Hantz Farms cleanup event in Detroit

Update. Things appear to be moving along nicely.

Interesting to note, Hantz has paid $441,000 for 1,600 lots. Fernando Palazuelo has paid a similar amount -- $405,000 -- for the long vacant Packard Plant. They couldn't be more different, yet each unique plan holds promise for some impressive positive changes on the east side.

Urban forest planned for Detroit's east side inches upward

And, of course, the Council just gives up 39-40 parcels in Midtown/Downtown to Olympia Entertainment for $1.00.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    And, of course, the Council just gives up 39-40 parcels in Midtown/Downtown to Olympia Entertainment for $1.00.
    Yeah, but that's good for the [[Ilitch) economy. It'll create trillions of jobs, and stabilize the neighborhood by getting the lawn mowed in a small park.

anybody know what happened to Michigan State's proposal for using vacant land as part of a research initiative?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2