Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The submissions are interesting but I still will take this 1920's plan!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My favorite is the one by Chung Whan Park and Team. It reminds me of the grand gallerias found in Italy. It has a great interior and exterior space that would pull people in. In addition, the exterior has the mass of an older building. Too bad it will never fly as it would mean deconstructing the parking garage below.

"As Detroit continues its astounding decade of declining prosperity and municipal bankruptcy, it is my honor to break ground on this new development on 1206 Woodward. In keeping with the spirit of the city, the innovative design of the building will imitate the best projects seen in the world's greatest banana republics. As we continue to cut all services along Gratiot, Grand River, Fort, and other main thoroughfares, it is our hope that you will consider consolidating with us and moving to this new venture. Section 8 vouchers will be made available at your local HUD building, and we encourage you to seek out these opportunities. Again, it is my honor to serve you and see Detroit through to its long overdue renaissance."

Mayor Dave Ding

I don't know what the jurors saw in the top three that they selected. I guess they went with the idea of "never been seen before" architecture. If I had to give a nod to the three they chose it would have to be their third choice. However, a giant right ososceles triange as a building is a little too out there.

I think the community's number one choice was a very good choice. Safe but practical. The second choice wasted a lot of the site's space in my opinion. The third choice didn't meet the height requirement but was "out there" in a good way.

DarkestbeforedawnDetroit Guest

In my opinion Detroit needs something never seen architectually in the US. The communities pick was on the safe side, We need to to show the country that our Revitalization is real. I loved the jury's top three but my favorite was still the one that used the old station and packard plant.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestbeforedawnDetroit View Post
    In my opinion Detroit needs something never seen architectually in the US. The communities pick was on the safe side, We need to to show the country that our Revitalization is real. I loved the jury's top three but my favorite was still the one that used the old station and packard plant.
    I would had loved to see a plan where the architecture blends with the rest of the street scene. I thought that a 5 to 10 storey masonry red brick building with arch 3 story windows for the first and second floor retail space and large frame or picture windows for the upper living/office space. The back of the building could had extending out to farmer with an open air marketplace theme to it. Glass ceiling, 3 level terrace, and a food court yard such as the Winter Gardens is.

the reason I like the winner is how the structure is situated and it's massing. i believe it is deliberately vague with materials since it is a concept. you won't be looking at a red building that's for sure, but it fills the block nicely and dramatically alters the skyline and adds density.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    the reason I like the winner is how the structure is situated and it's massing. i believe it is deliberately vague with materials since it is a concept. you won't be looking at a red building that's for sure, but it fills the block nicely and dramatically alters the skyline and adds density.
    Exactly.

Go to any arch. competition and you'll find the best concepts are vague in the materials but really celebrate form and massing and the spirit of what this building hopes to accomplish. At the same time they keep focus on the architecture by their graphics execution. The limited color scheme was very effective.

As for the discussion on producing prewar architecture, I think it's been done just as terribly in Detroit as some of the more contemporary architecture. It just seems like recent development in the city has been extremes of not-so-great buildings from both sides. This is sad since Detroit has some of the best pre-war architecture in America in my book. But the new buildings really dilute the cityscape of its quality.

I know all the classical details can be replicated quite well. We get vendors coming through the office all the time showing some of the great stuff they can do, but it doesn't come cheap despite that most of it is mechanized and requires virtually no human labor except for installation. I just think the talent of designing a good classical facade is lost in the industry. It certainly can be done in a lowrise applications much more cheaply especially if it's mass produced. That's why Chicago has hundreds of nice new homes going up in the past few years that look straight out of the 1890's. But doing a highrise would be challenging.
    Last edited by wolverine; June-16-13 at 12:13 PM.

I don't think that a 30 story highrise building should be built on that spot. I feel that something simple and not extravagant could fill the spot. Detroit has a history of overdoing it without looking at the forecast. Could anyone say "RenCen"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2