NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand, Michigan

And this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/postoffices/8477856900/

Name:  new hudson post office.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  82.5 KB

Part of the argument here is a definitional one stemming from the fact that Michigan allows for unincorporated communities, which can have post offices, central business districts, etc. and often a lengthy history, but are governed as part of the township in which they are situated.

Does New Hudson exist as a distinct community? Definitely. Does it exist as a separate governmental entity? No. But then it never has in its nearly 200 years of existence.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-08-13 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    How would you even say that? Ginjillville?
    Yes that is how you would say it. If it was reversed, it would be Jingleville.

Are you guys Lyon to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yes that is how you would say it. If it was reversed, it would be Jingleville.
    I agree, jingle all the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I agree, jingle all the way....
    Of course, I just asked how to pronounce it in a bar.

I might have gotten a different response if I had gone into one of Nerd's eeeeeeeevulllll barber shops up there in Gingellville

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Of course, I just asked how to pronounce it in a bar.

I might have gotten a different response if I had gone into one of Nerd's eeeeeeeevulllll barber shops up there in Gingellville
    That's right boy, you ain't from around these here parts, ain't cha?

Dayton Plains and New Hudson exist as post offices only. Same for Union Lake. There are no actual municipalities.

Drayton Plains and New Hudson exist as post offices only. Same for Union Lake. There are no actual municipalities.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    Drayton Plains and New Hudson exist as post offices only. Same for Union Lake. There are no actual municipalities.
    I heard you the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    The original Union Lake post office closed in the mid 90s. As a result, Union Lake was no longer used for residential addresses. It can only be used for existing businesses at the time of it's closure. New businesses & residential addresses must now use the township in which they're located. This brought an end to the area known as Union Lake. However, the lake is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    relax son, you don't know everything. The more you insist on being correct by diving down into niggling subcategories the more unpleasant and unreadable you become. The same thing happens on thread after thread, you make some grandiose expert claim of dubious origin and then spend the rest of the thread peeing on anyone and everything by walking back and subdividing your true intent. It is vain. Vulgar.

it is tiresome.

if you want to be considered tiresome, go ahead. Just know it makes your comments unfun.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- men!

My father and I used to walk along the railroad tracks scavenging for "treasure." In the location you speak of, I remember vividly a sign that said "Hand" and we thought it bizarre someone would make a sign about a body part. It wasn't until I moved away and as an adult that I realized it must have been a village stop along the railroad.

There are any number of systems of place names, all with different standards. Mapmakers do anything they want to make their maps useful in guiding people to named places. Sadly, Disco is no longer on the Michigan state highway map just NW of Utica, but it lasted at least until 1988. But MDOT continues to show many unincorporated places like Epoufette and Felch to help drivers know where they are. Also New Hudson, just off I-96.
    Many unofficial place names are railroad station names, used in railroad dispatching. Often these differ from the surrounding jurisdiction name. For example, East Lansing is Trowbridge on the railroad. Plymouth was Stark. Delray and Milwaukee Junction are well-known neighborhoods in Detroit, and are identified places on the railroad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2