Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Multiple Choice Question:

Which best spends the taxpayer's money?

1) Let government build the jail and run it

2) Let private industry be paid a fixed amount per prisoner, and build the jail and run it.
    [[2) For sure, and in a heartbeat. But...worth considering that you put an inherent conflict of interest in which a party can profit with public policies that may prefer incarceration to rehabilitation -- regardless of efficacy -- for self-serving reasons. I'm not paranoid...but I'm saying to be careful.

In other news, the Freep reported today that they could fire the original contractor, as another contractor stated that they could still finish within original budget.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    [[2) For sure, and in a heartbeat. But...worth considering that you put an inherent conflict of interest in which a party can profit with public policies that may prefer incarceration to rehabilitation -- regardless of efficacy -- for self-serving reasons. I'm not paranoid...but I'm saying to be careful.
    Absolutely. Either way, government needs to manage these costs. And they have a bad history of managing money. So I say you go with [[2) -- because its more in keeping with their limited abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    In other news, the Freep reported today that they could fire the original contractor, as another contractor stated that they could still finish within original budget.
    Walbridge-Aldinger is not a fly-by-night compay. If they're over budget, there's a reason. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that its because the County asked for changes and new features and this and that and everything else. When I hear cost overruns in construction, its usually not the contractor's fault. Not saying it never happens. W-A has probably built a thousand jails. They know to the penny what it will cost in each and every market.

Thanks a heap! [[wife cheater) FICANO! You wasted our tax dollars on a prison that locks black males to nothingless. Now he have a instant eyesore. You're going to be out soon! You will NEVER be re-elected as Wayne County Commissioner ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Absolutely. Either way, government needs to manage these costs. And they have a bad history of managing money. <...snip...>
    Walbridge-Aldinger is not a fly-by-night compay. .... And I'll bet dollars to donuts that its because the County asked for changes and new features .... When I hear cost overruns in construction, its usually not the contractor's fault.
    Agree, when there are change orders most likely NOT the fault of the contractor. I said this same thing on another thread here about the same topic http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ail-in-Detroit

And what government entity does a good job of controlling costs for the taxpayers? We all saw what Kwame and Bobbie tried to get away with on the DWSB. Monica and the pension funds. The list goes on. If they were so good at controlling costs, then the CoD would not be $15 Billion in debt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2