Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Rumor has it Henry the Hatter is going to be moved out of their current location.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    One thing for sure, the closing of any retail outlet downtown like this one will make it harder to convince more clothing or variety stores to locate downtown. I think we are well on our way to seeing the Old Broadway/Randolph men's district go away. Which one will be next? Hot Sam's, Henry the Hatter, the Broadway, City Slicker, or JL Stone?
    Last edited by rjlj; June-04-13 at 02:49 PM.

One thing for sure, the closing of any retail outlet downtown like this one will make it harder to convince more clothing or variety stores to locate downtown. I think we are well on our way to seeing the Old Broadway/Randolph men's district go away. Which one will be next? Hot Sam's, Henry the Hatter, the Broadway, City Slicker, or JL Stone?

Is that really true or are is it just a demographic shift in the area that might be causing a shake up? After all, Moosejaw just opened and Somerset's pop up Collection is very successful. Between Hot Sam's or Henry the Hatter and Moosejaw..which is a better fit for the Gen x/y/millennial working in Gilbert-town?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Is that really true or are is it just a demographic shift in the area that might be causing a shake up? After all, Moosejaw just opened and Somerset's pop up Collection is very successful. Between Hot Sam's or Henry the Hatter and Moosejaw..which is a better fit for the Gen x/y/millennial working in Gilbert-town?
    Dirt just opened up in Greektown - it's a popup at this point, like Moosejaw was.

http://www.after5detroit.com/article...656625&id=3975

The entire men's wear business is dying, with the ongoing "casualization" of American male dress, the overwhelming presence of internet and big box retail, and the reduction in money spent on clothing due to the recession and the contracting economy [[for most of us). Several of the big names have been in bankruptcy recently, and people I know in that business are watching generations of traffic just drying right up.

If anything, African-American consumers are probably one of the best remaining markets for better menswear, but even that is now changing, as Mr. Ross of Serman's says. I'm sure he has seen the handwriting on that particular wall and is happy to sell now while he can.

Sad to see a downtown retail business go, to be sure, but perhaps different types of retail [[like the stores on Woodward, etc.) in a healthier market segment will come to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The entire men's wear business is dying, with the ongoing "casualization" of American male dress, the overwhelming presence of internet and big box retail, and the reduction in money spent on clothing due to the recession and the contracting economy [[for most of us). Several of the big names have been in bankruptcy recently, and people I know in that business are watching generations of traffic just drying right up.
    Maybe he should have started to sell the kind of clothes you can buy in places like Walmart or Moosejaw [[t-shirt type clothes with lame stuff printed on them).

Moosejaw also Structure, Urban Fitters Men's Warehouse, Champs, or The NBA Store is a better fit for the Gen x/y/millennial working. Serman was a good store in it's day but the workforce is more business casual. The dressier worker for generation x and so on shop at The Men's Warehouse and the exec yuppies will shop at Brooks Brothers, Jos A Bank, and Probably Macy's at the middle end. Sermans cater to the caberet, trendy dresser.

I disagree with you planner. Moosejaw is attracting more business than Sermans. Sermans, City Slicker, Broadway, and Hot Sams had lost their major clientel in the 90s. You have to study the trend. The people who work and live downtown don't shop at those stores. Other major city's retail districts have stores that caters to the sporty, casual wear crowd. Not the Steve Harvey ones

If anything, African-American consumers are probably one of the best remaining markets for better menswear, but even that is now changing, as Mr. Ross of Serman's says. I'm sure he has seen the handwriting on that particular wall and is happy to sell now while he can.

Sad to see a downtown retail business go, to be sure, but perhaps different types of retail [[like the stores on Woodward, etc.) in a healthier market segment will come to replace it.
    I think that different type of retail will replace the retail that was left over from the 70s. Was not the Broadway's original name was "The Funky Broadway"? Future Retail in downtown will cater to a more healthier multicultural crowd which would be great for the downtown/midtown retail district

^^^Healthier in what way? Sports clothing? Natural fibers? Cotton imported from? ----!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-04-13 at 07:21 PM.

"Steve Harvey" - Leave Steve alone! LOL! I dunno, I know things are trending more casual but I still like a man in a nice suit - I sometimes work in a business setting, and attend functions like church, conferences where suits [[for men and women) are still worn and I don't think every suit in those stores was lime green with ten buttons going down the front or orange...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I disagree with you planner. Moosejaw is attracting more business than Sermans. Sermans, City Slicker, Broadway, and Hot Sams had lost their major clientel in the 90s. You have to study the trend. The people who work and live downtown don't shop at those stores. Other major city's retail districts have stores that caters to the sporty, casual wear crowd. Not the Steve Harvey ones
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-04-13 at 07:19 PM.

I hear you. With discount stores like Burlington, Nordstrom Rack and K & G etc. I can see the mens 'only' stores catching hell to stay open. K & G offers both mens and women's dress and business wear... so 'more' shoppers it could be argued.

Still I will miss hearing about Sermans, and seeing it. You never knew whos-who you'd see coming out of there. Times are changing!

The entire men's wear business is dying, with the ongoing "casualization" of American male dress, the overwhelming presence of internet and big box retail, and the reduction in money spent on clothing due to the recession and the contracting economy [[for most of us).
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-04-13 at 08:26 PM.

If the small business owners I know are any indication, all businesses are for sale always.
    Usually not if they're making money.

I brought my suit Serman's for my job interview and church dressing pretty about 10 years ago. I still have the suit and wearing it like its new. It's a pitty that its closing after serving Detroit since its days of the automobile. I will miss that place while Dan Gilbert, THE TRUMP. continues to but every last building in Downtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Rumor has it Henry the Hatter is going to be moved out of their current location.
    At one point I think they were looking at the ground floor space at the Lafer Building - two doors over.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Today's curbed article says it was for sale last October.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...an-gilbert.php
    Yeah. Media got pretty lazy about this one. Buying the building does not = closing the business. There's plenty of other empty retail spots within 5 miles of his current location. Sure, it's a disruption to his business to change locations, but he's also getting some money to make it worth it.

"Gilbert buys building. Serman Turns Down Option to Re-Open in New Location" would be a better headline.

I've been shopping there for close to 40 years. I've dealt with the same salesman for that same period. Their "VIP" sales were great because you could buy most things at half price. That is when you would catch me there because any other time I couldn't afford to shop there. I purchased a $600 wool winter coat during one VIP sale for $300. That was ten years ago and I still wear it. The "Buy 1 Suit Get 3 Free" sale was my last big purchase. Men's dress pants and sometimes ties for work were my usual purchases. They altered the clothing you bought for free. That was a big plus for me. They will be missed. I guess I'll have to run over to "Hot Sam's" for my next suit or dress pants' purchase.

^^^ Yep, those are the amenities and services that are hard to find [[free tailoring, consistent sales staff, etc.) in the big box stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2