Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

the boss authorized the flash bang, but the flash bang didnt kill anyone.
    if the boss authorized the flash bang and it killed the girl, he would be on trial.

swat raids happen with children present all the time. swat officers shoot family pet dogs in front of said children even. this is standard operating procedure. it should be changed. swat teams should never be used when children are present. swat teams should not be firing bullets in peoples houses at pets. a pet is not usually a deadly weapon, especially not against an armored swat officer.

to put it another way, sending a swat team when there is a child present is NOT a chargeable offense under current law. thats why the boss isnt being tried.

having a swat raid in the dark , also, is not a chargeable offense.

in the analogy of the car being in disrepair, are you saying his gun was in disrepair? the car and the gun are the same thing in my analogy. the operator of either is responsible for the death of the child. if weekly's gun was in disrepair, and his boss ignored a report of a malfunctioning gun, then the boss could be charged.

i apologize for the 'silly' remark. i shouldnt be calling people names.

An analogy is an analogy and only an analogy.
    Watch now- a second trial will not have the outcome you desire. A jury will not be able to convict a well-meaning cop acting under orders and in a stressful situation of manslaughter or murder.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    hes on trial because the laws of this country apply to everyone, equally.
    a little girl is dead.
    weekly admitted to pulling the trigger.

or maybe you think some people are above the law?

why havent you written the governor to pardon officer weekly of this charge?
    Then should every soldier who has ever shot an enemy combatant or killed someone as "collateral damage" also go on trial? They are no more above the law than a policeman.

theres the laws of war, the geneva convention and all that.

some soldiers do get charged [[its called a court martial) for killing.
    that soldier who killed 16 women and children in afghanistan just pleaded guilty two weeks ago.

meddle you lose

I wonder what some of you alls opinion would be if the uncle wasn't there when they went in and this accident happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And an elderly woman watched him kill a 7 year old.

So, what was your point again?
    ELDERLY WOMAN ???!!! Did you see that "Elderly Woman" immediately after the verdict was read? At the interview she certainly didn't look like the same grieving Grandmother portrayed on the stand at the trial. She was all fixed up, younger looking, and quite frankly in my opinion, with all her 'attitude' and the cursing on [[potentially National) television .... I can believe she knowingly harbored a hardened criminal/murderer. That said...Although I believe the officer involved in the child's death may be a good man, raised right, outstanding record, etc.... he made a tragic mistake, and should take his medicine for that mistake. He should definitely be re-tried, the little girl's life is worth that extra effort. The Jurors didn't say he was NOT GUILTY....they said they couldn't come to a conclusion. Try him again with a different Judge and Jury. And YES, the family should take EQUAL responsibility for their child's death...at least in their mind and heart. This tragic story gets it's beginnings in a home environment not suitable for children expected to grow-up safe, well adjusted, and half a chance at normalcy.

They went in BECAUSE the assassin was in the house.
    Of course every one would feel differently if they just went in a house and opened fire?

In the case of the soldier who killed the Afghanis and faces a courts martial, he was a deliberate murderer. He was not in battle or on orders, he was rogue. The incident in Detroit was altogether different.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    I wonder what some of you alls opinion would be if the uncle wasn't there when they went in and this accident happened.
    If that were the case, heads should have rolled much further up the chain of command, but such raids rarely happen without extremely solid evidence. Besides, it wasn't the case so it is an utterly meaningless question

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    If that were the case, heads should have rolled much further up the chain of command, but such raids rarely happen without extremely solid evidence. Besides, it wasn't the case so it is an utterly meaningless question
    Certainly wouldn't have been the first time SRT raided a house and came up empty. It happens a lot more often than the public knows. A few years back, there was a case where they were looking for a homicide suspect and raided 5 or 6 house based on nothing but tips and rumors. Never did find the guy in any of them.

Detroit is one of the few cities with a full time SRT operation. The officers do not have normal police patrol duties. All they do is raids and other high profile details and they are active nearly everyday somewhere in the city.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3