Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Absolutely!! If they even have to meet, it can be at Cobo or the RenCen which has some decent sized meeting rooms. You know they're bringing their families up to Mackinac Island too. Let them all stay at home & drive to downtown to meet. If they want to have it in the suburbs, the Suburban Showplace is big enough for them to all meet too.
    They can't really do that. In a sense, these follow the pattern of management retreats, which are often held away from work sites [[or here, peoples' home turf) to prevent distractions. If you held this in Metro Detroit, no one would come. And if they did, people would be ducking out to answer phone calls or go to "emergency" meetings. Getting people a few hours from work and home is an easy way to make sure they stay on task [[whatever it is supposed to be).

Mackinac is not Monaco [[or Scottsdale) - no one has to fly there, many people do it on their own dime, and smaller organizations often go to double occupancy. People can rail about $400 a night hotel rooms, but this is a short conference, and many people don't even stay for the whole thing. And in the context of the relevant budgets, it's not even a blip.

This type of thing only gets attention because it superficially resembles super-abusive things like pension fund trips. Those trips are hugely expensive trips for "educational" purposes. Things like Mackinac serve a different purpose: getting a dialogue together between disparate interests. As a taxpayer, I am totally fine with local government paying a grand or so per person to go - our region is so dysfunctional that every little bit helps.

HB

A few 'highlights' from the conference:

Misc:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._jase_bol.html

Mayoral debate - Oh joy:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...yoral_deb.html

EAA Funding... Scholarships for EAA students for Community Colleges?
    http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....special-report

Common Core education initiatives...:
    http://www.mlive.com/education/index...l#incart_river

Let's tear down some more buildings....
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-31-13 at 08:34 AM.

"They can't really do that. In a sense, these follow the pattern of management retreats, which are often held away from work sites [[or here, peoples' home turf) to prevent distractions."

Again with this spin? I know it's important for the bigwigs who go and need to justify their presence spin this as their only opportunity to "network" and discuss "important" issues. But that's not what is going on up there. How many years have they been running this thing and the dysfunction in the region has hardly improved. By that measure alone, the concept of this conference has been an abject failure.
    Last edited by Novine; May-31-13 at 10:03 AM. Reason: grammar check by fellow DYer

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    They can't really do that. In a sense, these follow the pattern of management retreats, which are often held away from work sites [[or here, peoples' home turf) to prevent distractions. If you held this in Metro Detroit, no one would come. And if they did, people would be ducking out to answer phone calls or go to "emergency" meetings. Getting people a few hours from work and home is an easy way to make sure they stay on task [[whatever it is supposed to be).

Mackinac is not Monaco [[or Scottsdale) - no one has to fly there, many people do it on their own dime, and smaller organizations often go to double occupancy. People can rail about $400 a night hotel rooms, but this is a short conference, and many people don't even stay for the whole thing. And in the context of the relevant budgets, it's not even a blip.

This type of thing only gets attention because it superficially resembles super-abusive things like pension fund trips. Those trips are hugely expensive trips for "educational" purposes. Things like Mackinac serve a different purpose: getting a dialogue together between disparate interests. As a taxpayer, I am totally fine with local government paying a grand or so per person to go - our region is so dysfunctional that every little bit helps.

HB
    Aw geez, poor little officials, they only get to go to Mackinac and not Monaco, and they don't even FLY! [[I wonder if their arms get tired?) Where can I send some money? Maybe we could start a "Snyders Kids" telethon?

For what it's worth, conferences are only as good as the people who attend them. If you go only for the golf or the dinners, they're a waste of time and money. If you go to learn something, or get a better idea of how to do something, they're worth their weight in gold.

As a councilman in a small town out here in Washington, I've attended a number of these types of events [[alas, none in a lavish resort), and at the last one, was able to make contact with a consultant whose work will end up saving my little town about $40k, which to us is a BIG hunk of change. These types of events DO have value, but that value has to be made by the attendee.

That's an image!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Aw geez, poor little officials, they only get to go to Mackinac and not Monaco, and they don't even FLY! [[I wonder if their arms get tired?)

i'm surprised! surprised that someone who gets a free trip to a hotel + golf + dinners suggests these retreats are useful.

couldnt the consultant just call the councilperson at his office to advertise his/her wares? or are you saying you dont answer the phone at work? you only talk business in person, at a resort or hotel, over a game of golf?

i'm just pulling your leg here. but from your story, it doesnt sound like the place to meet the consultant is important. you have to explain it to us laypeople.

i think you'll find the reason most people are complaining is because they dont have to go to retreats to get their jobs done. whats so special about your job that requires this?
    it doesnt help matters that your job is paid for with our tax dollars. that these retreats are sometimes paid for with our tax dollars.

more reasons that dont work for laypeople:
    its the way its always been done
    govt jobs come with these kinds of "perks"
    other cities/states have similar conferences!
    since we cant get along in the office, we have to go play golf, on your dime and time, to rub elbows in a non-work environment.

turkia mullen was at this conference. i think WWJ said she was looking for a job. another severance package another day i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    How many years have they been running this thing and the dysfunction in the region has hardly approved.
    Did you mean to say "improved"?

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    I'm sure they all brought with them their cell phones, laptops, & tablets in order to still get "important" calls, check their e-mail, send texts, & stay connected etc. The "leave the distractions behind" argument is one that I can't be convinced of with these high tech devices around.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I'm sure they all brought with them their cell phones, laptops, & tablets in order to still get "important" calls, check their e-mail, send texts, & stay connected etc. The "leave the distractions behind" argument is one that I can't be convinced of with these high tech devices around.
    Good point. There are multiple ways these days to hold meetings, discussions, etc., that are more cost effective then what's being spent on HI or Mackinac. They want to "break bread", have a BBQ in LBP's backyard. Heck, have one on Belle Isle!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-31-13 at 09:50 AM.

"Did you mean to say "improved"?"

Yes. Appreciate the correction.

I think it is interesting that most of the folks who are voicing their displeasure are not the usual DY Picnic attendees.

No point, just an observation.

I wonder if Joann Watson is a usual attendee at the Mac Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I think it is interesting that most of the folks who are voicing their displeasure are not the usual DY Picnic attendees.

No point, just an observation.

I wonder if Joann Watson is a usual attendee at the Mac Conference?
    I wonder if she'll attend the DY Picnic?

^^^ Umm, I think that'll be a NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder if she'll attend the DY Picnic?
    Sure. She never met a pork chop she didn't like.

Nice broadcast of Michelle Rhee's speech at the conference. Just listening to Fahle interview now. I didn't know she was a Democrat. Knew she was from Toledo. She said she was born in Michigan.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; May-31-13 at 07:56 PM.

Michelle Rhee is a "Democrat" like Lanny Davis is a "Democrat", a label that neither lets get in the way of doing the bidding of their corporate masters.

Michelle Rhee is a "Democrat" like Lanny Davis is a "Democrat", a label that neither lets get in the way of doing the bidding of their corporate masters.
    Did you listen to hear speech? What bidding do you think she's doing?

During the Friday 'Fahles', someone commented that the labels on Rhee do not reflect the nuances in her positions. The teacher's union attacks on her speak more about the union than about her.

Listen to her interview and then decide.

Talk is cheap. Ms. Rhee has enough of a track record to judge her on her actions.

NO surprise there at least not for me... I don't assume certain behavior and policies to be 'exclusive' to the repubs. That's just the line we are fed...[[dems do this, republicans always do that rubbish)

Last edited by Zacha341; June-01-13 at 06:11 AM.

I think it would be better to have foreign country consulates and trade reps take part.

Talk is cheap. Ms. Rhee has enough of a track record to judge her on her actions.
    In 2010, Rhee and the unions agreed on a new contract that offered 20 percent pay raises and bonuses of $20,000 to $30,000 for "strong student achievement," in exchange for weakened teachers' seniority protections and the end of teacher tenure for one year. Under this new agreement, Rhee fired 241 teachers, the vast majority of whom received poor evaluations, and put 737 additional school employees on notice.[21] Of the dismissed teachers, 76 were dismissed in accordance with the No Child Left Behind Act because they lacked proper teaching certification.[22] 26 other teachers were dismissed because their students had continually received low scores on the District of Columbia Comprehensive Assessment System.[22] Teachers were observed by administrators and outside professionals for five 30-minute sessions during the year, and the teachers' performance was rated during those sessions.[22] Teachers who received fewer than 175 out of 400 points were deemed ineffective and were dismissed.[22]Teachers who received between 175 and 249 points were deemed minimally effective and given a one-year warning to improve their performance
    Her record speaks well for her. Pay raises for excellent teachers. The boot for uncertified and low-rated teachers. Or we can just keep on as is and double per-pupil spending again and see how that goes.

I'm glad the attendees heard her talk, I hope with an open mind. Not hate because she is willing to hurt a few adults in the pursuit of education for children.

Are the charter schools all requiring their teachers to be certified? The requirement should be across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Are the charter schools all requiring their teachers to be certified? The requirement should be across the board.
    So quick to worry about charters. Always looking hard for something to beat them up with.

There's a difference. If a charter fails to educate, they are gone. If the DPS fails to educate, they just get more money. So you see the difference? Government directly run schools => certified to protect against nepotism and bureaucratic stupidity/favoritism. Charter schools => anything goes and let the parents decide if they're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for setting the record straight Gnome...

Mackinac Policy Conference is NOT the same thing as the Mackinac Center...

This certainly wasn't one of the better threads on this forum...

And another thing... get the spelling right... it's Mackinaw City only... otherwise it's the Straights of Mackinac... Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island... and yes... Mackinac Policy Conference...
    Mackinac Policy Conference is put on by the Detroit Chamber of Commerce. http://www.detroitchamber.com/mpc/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast