Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Detroit and Detroiters could really use a different grocery chain, one that specializes in affordable quality food and merchandise. One known for "Everyday Low Prices". One that, despite the obvious need for such, would engender massive protests and hysterical pronouncements on the existential threat it poses to life as we know it.
    Yeah, like Kroger's right? Farmer Jack's use to be a Detroit presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Detroit's problem has never been availability of produce, just the willingness to purchase and consume it. I'm glad WFM is coming to Detroit -- this speaks to their belief that the consumers here will buy. [[btw, food desert is an absurd concept created by fools who will believe anything.)
    Yeah...I wouldn't eat the apples from Mazen Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Detroit and Detroiters could really use a different grocery chain, one that specializes in affordable quality food and merchandise. One known for "Everyday Low Prices".
    Like the Valuland stores that have been popping up lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Yeah, like Kroger's right? Farmer Jack's use to be a Detroit presence.
    Kroger's probably sitting back and thinking to themselves..."Let the damn fools [[Meijer and Whole Foods) just see for themselves how terrible of an investment Detroit is. They [[Detroit) fooled us once as well, never again!!!"

Going after racism and elitism: One serving of $34.99 per pound Roquefort at a time.

Attachment 20250
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Personally, I am looking forward to reviewing their organic Cheetos selection. Some fiery Cheetos and an orange pop... Mmm.

a slim jim would be good too.
    I think you'd do better for those specialty items here. Get yourself a FREE money order while you're there! That note payment's coming up, you know.

Attachment 20251
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-28-13 at 02:42 PM.

God forbid anyone try to make a buck in Detroit without being on the Pre-Approved List [[which consists strictly of Cheesecake Factory, House of Blues, and any half-assed idea by Mike Ilitch and/or Dan Gilbert).

Y'all are really sending a great signal to entrepreneurs and young people that they can go rot in hell, because Detroit is just fine as it is and doesn't need no dang stinking businesses, and certainly not any dang stinking grocery stores.

You don't like Whole Foods? Fine. Don't shop there. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    God forbid anyone try to make a buck in Detroit without being on the Pre-Approved List [[which consists strictly of Cheesecake Factory, House of Blues, and any half-assed idea by Mike Ilitch and/or Dan Gilbert).

Y'all are really sending a great signal to entrepreneurs and young people that they can go rot in hell, because Detroit is just fine as it is and doesn't need no dang stinking businesses, and certainly not any dang stinking grocery stores.

You don't like Whole Foods? Fine. Don't shop there. End of story.
    The people criticizing WF are the same ones who make the mocking comments about CF or HoB. If it's not a "wig shop" or Family Dollar then they would have something to say about it.

Clearly you haven't read the thread. Much of the criticism stems from the bloviation of the CEO...

Robb said. "Culture is a living, breathing thing. It’s happening all the time. For us, in Detroit, I see thousands of communities across the United States don't have fresh healthy food."
    "We've tried to put the community first in this effort," Robb continued. "I know that we're learning as much as we're giving. Not only are we going after the affordability and the accessibility ... we're going after these hard issues. Because we're going after elitism, we're going after racism. Detroit's 90 percent African-American.""

Except they didn't locate themselves in a neighborhood that doesn't have a grocery store, they parked themselves in hipster central and less than a mile from the region's largest farmer's market and down the street from another high end grocery store.

And of course the ONLY WAY Whole Foods can justify setting foot into this dire and lamentable situation is through:

$4.2 million in community funds and tax credits and incentives from the city and state.
    Plus that whole "food desert" thing isn't really true in the area where they decided to open the mini store.
    But it won't exist in a vacuum: the grocery store is one of several full-service grocers located in the greater downtown area. Data Driven Detroit issued a report calling the "food desert" label a myth,
    And speaking of entrepreneurs, I would prefer the 4.2 million in give aways this place received go to those entrepreneurs and small business folks that actually live here and are actually taking a risk with things like their life savings.
    Last edited by bailey; May-28-13 at 03:10 PM.

I think that Detroit will be a lightly better place with the Whole Foods grocery than without it. No one has to shop there but it will be an option to fast food, junk food, and trips to suburban groceries. Maybe from the standpoint of its management, they were forcing themselves over their own racism hurdle into new territory. If so, congratulations are in order. Again, no one has to shop there as there are junk food, suburban alternatives, and maybe the nearest Kroger's still has union employees. Better yet, start your own low cost grocery.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    And speaking of entrepreneurs, I would prefer the 4.2 million in give aways this place received go to those entrepreneurs and small business folks that actually live here and are actually taking a risk with things like their life savings.
    I fully support small businesses. But did Whole Foods point a gun at the heads of the City and State, and demand to blow up Detroit if it didn't receive $4.2 million in bribes, er, incentives? Take that one up with your elected officials for playing Alabama Economics.

Mike Ilitch has received far more money that that, and his results have been questionable, at best. If Whole Foods were taking bribes, er, incentives, to build a new hockey arena or demolish an old building, I'm sure everyone on this board would be lining up to shake their hands.

I fully support small businesses. But did Whole Foods point a gun at the heads of the City and State, and demand to blow up Detroit if it didn't receive $4.2 million in bribes, er, incentives? Take that one up with your elected officials for playing Alabama Economics.
    No. They said give us the money or we're not going to build our half sized version of our store. Which is fine. If Detroit is that desperate for "name" businesses, it can pay whatever it wants. My only complaint here is with the CEO martyring around like he's done something in anyway laudable or made any sort of sacrifice or even taken the slightest risk in opening this mini WF outpost.

Mike Ilitch has received far more money that that, and his results have been questionable, at best. If Whole Foods were taking bribes, er, incentives, to build a new hockey arena or demolish an old building, I'm sure everyone on this board would be lining up to shake their hands.
    I think you're comparing some apples to oranges there. That aside, I would venture that far more people would get far more use and benefit in a new arena or removed blight and the CoD itself has benefited far more in having the Illitch companies located within its boundaries, than any benefit the city or its residents will receive from a high end grocery store tucked away near the expressway in the CBD/midtown.

Over/under on how long it stays open after the subsidies run out?
    Last edited by bailey; May-28-13 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    No. They said give us the money or we're not going to build our half sized version of our store. Which is fine. If Detroit is that desperate for "name" businesses, it can pay whatever it wants.
    Then the City can say "No". They didn't. But [[and this is pure speculation on my part), if a local entrepreneur wanted to open a store that looked just like Whole Foods, sold the exact same product mix, charged the same prices, and the only difference was that it was named "Entire Edibles", they'd be shot down if they asked for $4.2 million in bribes, er, incentives.

Considering the demographics of the City of Detroit, this *is* a bit of uncharted territory for Whole Foods. Let's just hope the City and State don't also start giving out tax breaks for Earth Fare and Fresh Market to open on the same block. Because if there is anything the City of Detroit is good at, it's spending millions of dollars to shoot itself in the foot.

Elitism? Whole Foods is all about elitism otherwise their $9 heads of artisan arugula would stay on the shelves next to their $12 chèvre rounds.

now, TommyBoy is fighting elitism hourly, same for any one of the 75 markets out in the food desert. This CEO is an asshat. My stepdaughter works for Whole Foods and their work rules are insanely harsh, capricious and restrictive.

i wish these guys all the best, but will not be surprised to see them run out by August of '14.
    I agree they will not last very long. They are about to get a rude awakening on Detroit retailing! As mentioned in another thread I will have matrix for the month and year they close the store available once the store opens up. Start thinking of the date you want.

Elitism? Whole Foods is all about elitism otherwise their $9 heads of artisan arugula would stay on the shelves next to their $12 chèvre rounds.

now, TommyBoy is fighting elitism hourly, same for any one of the 75 markets out in the food desert. This CEO is an asshat. My stepdaughter works for Whole Foods and their work rules are insanely harsh, capricious and restrictive.

i wish these guys all the best, but will not be surprised to see them run out by August of '14.
    Seems a bit harsh don't you think, Gnome? My spouse works for WF and not on a management level. He makes a decent wage for non management with frequent raises. They have a decent 401k plan, health plan [[he pays $10 every two weeks and he is over 50). I can tell you they do tons for their employees to promote healthy living, and their benefits are extremely competitive. Granted the healthier their employees are the lower their health care costs but it seems to benefit both the employer and employee in this case. My spouse spent a week in Hawaii all expenses paid to learn about healthy eating, excercise and mental health. His total cholestrol alone went from the above 240 to below 200. As far as their work rules go, they are not any more harsh, restrictive or capricious than most other successful grocery chains.

The CEO's statements are basically just a continuation of their brand philosophy. They have already brainwashed their core market into thinking that their lives are "healthier", or "more just", or "more ethical" because they are eating fancy organic food. Of course if WF really cared, they would be encouraging less consumption, but that's not the game they are in. The CEO stating that the company is battling "elitism" or "racism" is just what their customers want to hear, and that's all. It allows their customers to continue to feel self-righteous when they buy overpriced food in the name of vanity.

17. Default

Just in case you were wondering what this place will look like...

I wonder where Whole Food's CEO Walter Robb obtained the datum that the
    expectation of life at birth is 12 years shorter in Detroit than in the suburban ring? A six year difference seems reasonable. 12 years is a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Not too sure about these "jobs for Detroiters and added tax reveneue" either. Groceries are basically jobs-neutral, because people don't eat more food if you build more stores. As for tax revenue, they're getting 1.2 million in tax credits as part of the 4.3 milion in subsidies.
    Every single person who works there will end up paying CoD income tax, will they not?

I don't know what all you jack monkeys are so pissed off about.

For one thing there are 250k Canadians across the border who have nothing comparable to Whole Foods and aren't afraid to come to the city to shop, unlike so many freaking suburbanites.

That's for certain...

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Every single person who works there will end up paying CoD income tax, will they not?

I'm pretty set on where I get my produce which is mix of more old-world places in Hamtramck, E. Dearborn and Royal Oak and eastern market once in a great while... but I will probably shop at WF for a few things, once in a while. But not for a five dollar box of crackers. I can get standard or gluten free for for less like at Trader Joes. Or Aldies.

I wonder what YOBS is feeling about all of this? I was just there today... nice store. Much larger than I thought. Sorta light on the butchered meats, but great place overall.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-29-13 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    For one thing there are 250k Canadians across the border who have nothing comparable to Whole Foods and aren't afraid to come to the city to shop, unlike so many freaking suburbanites.
    I'm reasonably sure that Canadians have access to grocery stores, and don't need to get passports and go through the Customs gauntlet in order to procure tofu, arugula or hormone free chicken.

Not defending HF but it takes just a day trip to Windsor to see that their grocery stores do not have the variety of even a Kroger which has over 50 kinds of cereal options and they have far less. We may have 20 versions of toothpaste in our CVS for example, they have 10! There is LESS choice so that might influence some to do the customs thing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-13 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm reasonably sure that Canadians have access to grocery stores, and don't need to get passports and go through the Customs gauntlet in order to procure tofu, arugula or hormone free chicken.
    I was just in Canada today discussing with Canadians the phenomenon of Canadians shopping in the US. It's slightly cheaper and they say they don't have equivalents of Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in southwestern Ontario. Hordes of them shop at Meijer's, Honey Bee, and even the Trader's in Grosse Pointe. They're thrilled about the Whole Foods in Midtown.

But what would Canadians know about Canadians...you're the expert...
    Last edited by poobert; May-28-13 at 08:30 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast