Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

I know today was an aberration, but I went twice, and each time there was a 10-20 minute line JUST TO GET IN THE STORE. Wow.

That's the difference between Whole Foods and a Kroger. The surgeon at DMC isn't going to get excited about the Kroger next to his/her office. There's one waiting at home. But when Grosse Pointers want to go to Whole Foods, where is the closest one? Troy?

It will be very interesting to see if the Whole Foods algorithm illustrates whether or not our traditional data analysis about demographics and income is flawed.

Now be nice HT! Hah! Do you think the next one will be in the 'hood so to speak? Like on Grand River and Oakman or Jefferson and St. Jean on the east side? Never mind. Don't answer that......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    GREAT news! Even MORE subsidies for Ho' Foods!

^^^ Yep, good point... they've [[the east side border suburbs) only got Trader Joes...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Yep, good point... they've [[the east side border suburbs) only got Trader Joes...
    Yes, it's quite an impoverished area. There's also Indian Village Market, and Kroger in GPW too. Did you ever check out Al-Haramine in Hamtown? If so, what did you think?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-06-13 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    It will be very interesting to see if the Whole Foods algorithm illustrates whether or not our traditional data analysis about demographics and income is flawed.
    That's already long been proven. The Home Depot in Detroit was the chain's most profitable store in Michigan several years ago. I'm sure it's still high up there, if not still the most profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That's already long been proven. The Home Depot in Detroit was the chain's most profitable store in Michigan several years ago. I'm sure it's still high up there, if not still the most profitable.
    Where in Detroit is it?

Where in Detroit is it?
    Seven Mile and Meyer on the site of the old Grace Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Seven Mile and Meyer on the site of the old Grace Hospital.
    Ok, Thanx. I thought it might be the one on Ford Rd. & Mercury, but after looking it up, the one IS in Dearborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    For the naysayers ,on NPR today the CEO was asked "what if the sales aren't what you like would you close the store ?" he said "NO we sign a 20+ year lease so we are here to stay ! " I also hear that Whole foods is looking to add a second location in Downtown Detroit
    Leases can be broken if push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Leases can be broken if push comes to shove.
    Well, they have to stay at least 7 to avoid having to payback the "incentives" to open there. So I think real the clock starts then.

I Love Al-Haramine! Old world style all the way - good alternate nearby! The owners and staff are nice - helpful. You can get your currie, powdered garlic, rice and the like right out the bin with a scoop! Or prepackaged goods. They're a favorite for local produce... though a bit high for things like crackers and some of their juice products.

The meat section is pretty wild, em literally almost! Fresh lambs head sitting right there! But if that's not your thing they have other more standard cuts of meat. Neat little olive and cheese bar too. Handy and dandy and most of all 'affordable'!

Yes, it's quite an impoverished area. There's also Indian Village Market, and Kroger in GPW too. Did you ever check out Al-Haramine in Hamtown? If so, what did you think?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-06-13 at 10:20 AM.

Interesting article about the impact Whole Foods opening in Baltimore had on its surroundings.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013060...dtown-downtown

Going back to Spartan Stores, University Foods is a Spartan Store and so is
    Ryan Market on W. Vernor. Both are clean. I prefer the Spartan brand over
    Kroger's store brand.

though a bit high for crackers....
    Oh, I don't know. I can afford their prices without a problem.......

So I'm supposed to get excited because a bunch of hipster vegans now have a place to purchase overpriced, pretentious finger-food?

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    So I'm supposed to get excited because a bunch of hipster vegans now have a place to purchase overpriced, pretentious finger-food?
    You should if it encourages people to move into that area of Detroit, and spend money in the city.

East Harbor area of Baltimore is well-developed. It is also within easy auto-commuting distance of Washington, DC.

You know, Treasury Department, United States Federal Reserve System, Department of Defense, Social Security Administration, etc.

The fountain that spews money.

There are areas of Baltimore that even the police don't go into. No upscale grocery stores.

Whole Foods? Never been inside ...

Am certainly glad they have opened but I personally prefer to patronize Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe for my needs. They too have shown great faith in our town.

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    You should if it encourages people to move into that area of Detroit, and spend money in the city.
    I read on the freep comments earlier today, someone essentially said,

"Look...so many of you from the suburbs complained about living in Detroit because there is no where to get groceries. We finally got groceries, and now you're complaining about how big a deal we are making it, how much smaller the building is, and predicting how much crime there is going to be. Basically, what I'm hearing is that no matter what we do, you'll find a reason to complain."

It's true. Except I will say that it's true on all sides...not just the suburbs, but here in the city, too.

If there were 10 of us shipwrecked on an island, and we had finally built a boat that could carry someone off to safety, I'd be excited and celebrating the major progress that might result in us all get rescued.

On Detroit Island, however, half of the people complain, saying that the boat is of poor quality, and that it doesn't compare to our wrecked yacht. The other half complains, saying, "Why does HE get a boat, while WE have to suffer?!?!"

Let's get excited. We've made some progress. It's not the be all, end all. But it's a big deal. Let's celebrate, and then move to the next hurdle/building/neighborhood/problem.

^^^ Well said!

I guess I could too, but prefer not to pay premium for standard gluten-rich Ritz saltines when I can get them less otherwise. Krogers has been doing some great sales down the cracker and cookie isle lately. Have you been to HF in the D yet? I plan to stop by today... Meet me there with your money bags......!

Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-13 at 06:12 AM.

I'm not the wealthiest man in the world but I certainly don't have a problem buying groceries for my family at WF. I don't think a lot of people complaining here are that familiar with the store. They don't require you to buy an expensive pre-made meal or premium frozen products when you walk in the door.

I guess I could too, but prefer not to pay premium for standard gluten-rich Ritz saltines when I can get them less otherwise. Krogers has been doing some great sales down the cracker and cookie isle lately. Have you been to HF in the D yet? I plan to stop by today... Meet me there with your money bags......!
    Ok, I MISSED totally. I was aiming @ the "crackers" thing...... [[though a bit high for crackers....{think racist})

"Meet me there with your money bags..."

Can't make it today, but here's my credit card # ****************

Yeah, the "processed" health foods are very expensive at all of these kinds of stores. Some times I do purchase them when I need something fast to fix though or for work lunch! Indeed there are a few things I can and do purchase at HF... Basically I shop all over to make ends meet and now HF will be part of that, though a lesser part.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'm not the wealthiest man in the world but I certainly don't have a problem buying groceries for my family at WF. I don't think a lot of people complaining here are that familiar with the store. They don't require you to buy an expensive pre-made meal or premium frozen products when you walk in the door.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-07-13 at 07:42 AM.

That IS too funny! We'll just say 'saltines' to prevent any further misunderstandings! ------ Thanks for the proceeds! I'll keep the spending down to a roar - I'll stop at Save-A-Lot in Highland park to balance it all out!

Ok, I MISSED totally. I was aiming @ the "crackers" thing...... [[though a bit high for crackers....{think racist})

"Meet me there with your money bags..."

Can't make it today, but here's my credit card # ****************

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast