Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grandland shopping center has a new owner and new management company. They plan some upgrades to the property in the coming months. I don't know if that had anything to do with ACO pulling out-- maybe the rent is going up?

But, I agree that the chain hardware stores are pretty much worthless, unless you want something in a bubble pack. I worked in a real hardware store for a while in back in the day, and the experience was a real education. You have to be able to go to a hardware store with a broken part or a problem, explain it to the sales person, and then get the right part and an explanation of what to do with it. There are only a few places like that left.

ACO's might hit the mark for an item or two, but only if you can find them through all the pop and chips, but here out on the far west [[Washtenaw), besides the big box stores, the choice for a 'real' hardware store has got to be Stadium Hardware in A2, or Congden's ACE Hardware, in Ypsi-- Though they have rather short hours during the week.... ACO's dying, Sears/Kmart and JCP probably not too far behind.

i'll never forget the wise advice i once got from a helpful home depot worker.

"that sounds like its a lot of work".

The Aco I go to is not too bad. The food stuff is off in its own section and I never go for that stuff, although I will pick up a jar of Sanders Fudge topping when its on sale. The staff is helpful and I'm in there once a week for a light bulb or nuts and bolts, etc. We lost our neighborhood hardware store when the owner died and it is sorely missed. Someone mentioned Melvindale Hardware and thats a great place, too. The big boxes are a last resort for me and I'm never comfortable in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They put a Menards at Schoolcraft and Middlebelt? Didn't hear about that one, I know the first one is on the M-59 I-94 corridor.
    It's not open yet. It looks to be at least a month or two off yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2