Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Children's Museum might close

The Detroit Children's Museum might close on Aug 6 because, of DPS issues. The DPS is in change of running the Children's Museum. The Detroit Children's Museum is the thrid oldest in the United States. More in the Free Press,
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009070...ldren+s+Museum

DPS budget mess may shut Detroit Children's Museum

BY PEGGY WALSH-SARNECKI
    FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER
    The Detroit Children's Museum -- the third oldest children's museum in the country -- may have to shut its doors by Aug. 6 because of funding problems connected to Detroit Public Schools' financial mess.
    Museum employees said Wednesday they weren't allowed to talk to the news media, but an e-mail sent to the Free Press said the staff was told the facility would close Aug. 6 unless DPS Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb can be convinced to reconsider funding the museum.
    The museum has a $980,000 annual operating budget, about $450,000 of which comes from federal Title I money provided by DPS.
    But most of the rest of its funding comes from DPS' general fund and the district is cutting that off because of its current $259-million budget deficit.
    DPS spokesman Steve Wasko said district officials will meet with museum supporters at 6 p.m. July 23 at the museum to talk about raising money from other sources.
    Donations, fees could keep museum open

Ted Spencer of Detroit remembers visiting the Detroit Children's Museum when he was a child.
    Years later, he took his children and chaperoned his grandchildren's field trips to the 91-year-old museum.
    "It really was amazing as a child," Spencer said. "I understand it even better as an adult."
    What he doesn't understand is why Detroit Public Schools Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb or anyone else would want to see the facility close.
    DPS, citing efforts to trim its 2009-10 budget deficit, said it will have to cut the district's appropriation to the museum -- representing about half of the museum's $980,000 total operating budget.
    DPS spokesman Steve Wasko denied the district wants to close the museum. He said the district is looking at finding other funding such as ticket revenue -- currently admission is free -- or donations to keep the doors open.
    "What we're working on is restructuring it as an independent entity," Wasko said. "All other major museums are operated under philanthropic support. We need to keep in mind we're a school district and as wonderful as it is, it simply is not one of the core functions of the school district."
    The museum opened in 1917 as a joint operation between DPS and the Museum of Art, but has been operating under DPS alone since 1925.
    Exhibits range from building blocks and computers to nature and dinosaurs, with signs saying "Please Touch" liberally sprinkled throughout. Last year, the museum loaned 30,000 exhibits and artifacts to 81 schools. The venue is a popular field trip destination.
    On Wednesday, the museum's patrons were as diverse as the exhibits. Many of the visitors said they heard the museum was closing and were urged by staffers to contact DPS.
    Staci Frank of Dearborn brought her two daughters, ages 2 and 5, to the museum for an arts and crafts program. It was their first visit, but Frank said it was enough to convince her to contact DPS about keeping the museum open.
    "It was a great, hands-on exhibit for my little girls," Frank said. "We're going to be coming back before it closes."
    Regina Lancaster brought her granddaughter, Alexis Hatley, 9, who played chess, dressed up as a nurse and tried her hand as a puppeteer.
    "There should be some other funding," Lancaster, a Detroiter, said. "This is something for the children to learn and have something to do."
    John Cooper of Southfield brings his grandson, Brendan Sanford of Las Vegas, a couple of times a year.
    "I don't feel good about it," Cooper said when he heard the museum may close.
    Students are encouraged to earn public service credits by volunteering at the museum. One volunteer, Markas Cunningham, 13, of Detroit said he was saddened to hear the museum may close. "We help the kids; we make sure they have fun," he said.
    Detroit just have to keep the children's museum open. Hopefully thier is a way.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sg9018 View Post
    Detroit just have to keep the children's museum open. Hopefully thier is a way.
    This is the right call for DPS to make. Anybody here who wants to wring their hands about it, before another letter-writing campaign du jour gets suggested, just send donations.

Sounds like [[from the interviews in the quoted article) people throughout the metro area enjoy it - perhaps they could support it via a membership drive like our other museums have. The district needs to focus what resources it has on doing what it is supposed to do - run schools.

This would really be too bad if it happens. I remember the place very well and was sent to classes there when I was a kid in Astronomy, Michigan History, and Spanish. Of course, I also remember the funky and very cool bumper horse.

However, I do agree with others here that the DPS - obviously in extreme crisis - probably really needs to concentrate that money elsewhere. And unlike previous stewards of our school system's money, I have some faith that Mr. Bobb is doing the right things.

But what I don't understand is why the gag rule and secrecy. It seems to me that far too often around here problems are kept quiet until it's too late to do anything about them and our institutions are lost. They should be out right this minute making some noise and trying to raise enough money to keep the place going.

Staci Frank of Dearborn brought her two daughters, ages 2 and 5, to the museum for an arts and crafts program. It was their first visit, but Frank said it was enough to convince her to contact DPS about keeping the museum open.
    "It was a great, hands-on exhibit for my little girls," Frank said. "We're going to be coming back before it closes."
    John Cooper of Southfield brings his grandson, Brendan Sanford of Las Vegas, a couple of times a year.
    "I don't feel good about it," Cooper said when he heard the museum may close.
    I also don't feel good about DPS dollars being used for a resource that is not directly in the classrooms. I'm curious to hear how many non-Detroit taxpayers are going to complain about how wrong this closure is. For people that want to complain about the closing [[especially if they don't live in Detroit" I have three words "Write a check"