Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

[QUOTE=corktownyuppie;38507The one thing I'm fairly sure about, though, is that the language is open to several different understandings about how to APPLY the law. Which one has more legal merit....

...I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it. Its plain English. Maybe if I had a dog in the race I'd be open to it being subjective.

Before Duggan moved to Detroit last year, was he ever registered to vote in Detroit? Please don't read that as being anti-Duggan. Jusy trying to see if all the subjective mental gymnastics are even necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    The Charter reads, "must BE [[present tense)...a registered and qualified voter in the City of Detroit for one year AT THE TIME OF FILING... AND MUST MAINTAIN THAT STATUS...

It does not read MUST HAVE BEEN which is very different from MUST BE... I have been 15 years old, but I BE [[am) 40 years old as I am typING this post. It is plain English. There is no arguing the words on the page, only the merits of bending the law. And in this era of bending [[read: ignoring) the law by our leaders, we ought to be setting the example of simply following the law to bring some structure & credibility back into this community.
    I can think of a couple of reasons that the benchmark be kept at the deadline and not the actual filing date.

a) Let's say I moved to Detroit tomorrow. After 6 months, I decide to run for mayor in the 2017 general election. I submit my petitions in the spring, but before my anniversary date. Therefore, I could be a resident in the city for more than four years, but not be eligible for the general election because the petitions were turned in before I was a resident a full year. Yes, this was Duggan's case to the extreme. But, I use it because another person could be on the ballot after being a resident for a year and a day [[the day to be on the safe side), if they waited to the last day to submit their petitions.

b) Stopping the clock at the submission of the petitions does not appear to give candidates a chance to amend their petitions. What if they are short on the number of signatures they need to collect? Can they amend their petitions prior to the deadline? Is the date they amend their new submissions their new filing date? Or, in an extreme case, would they then have to submit a whole new set of signatures to make the primary?

http://www.freep.com/article/2013061...t-mayoral-race

The saga continues. He's off the ballot for now.

Someone on his campaign better have been fired.

EDIT: Didn't see someone posted as new thread.... sorry for duplicate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3