Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Running list of non-Dan Gilbert Large Projects

Been meaning to do this for the haters that say "everything going on is just Dan Gilbert related, no one else is investing in the city."

If I missed something, let me know and I'll add it.

That's all I can think of now, off the top of my head. And these are just non-Gilbert things in progress, which doesn't include substantial projects that have been completed recently, like all the cool stuff that's going on in Palmer Park, Old Redford, Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe and the Broderick Tower.

Add in the tons of smaller, but not less significant projects around the city and the Gilbert/Bedrock projects, and you have a bit of a boom in parts of the city.

Go Detroit!
    Last edited by Eber Brock Ward; May-21-13 at 12:04 PM.

You could include the new Red Wings arena, although that is still in planning stages

Added. Thanks, Spartan.

And just think of all the cool stuff that Bedrock is doing, too.

Cobo , and the castle building / GAR building , and all the new restaurants / bars in corktown / midtown

Good call on the GAR and COBO. The new bars/restaurants are really cool, but I wanted to limit it to larger projects otherwise the thread would take forever to scroll through .

I would add the substantial apartment renovations in Palmer Park and New Center that Shelborne Developing is involved in. Half a dozen or so in New Center and at least 9 in Palmer Park should have a major impact on those areas. http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/n...hab011513.aspx http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/s...ark051512.aspx
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-21-13 at 12:07 PM.

Willy's Overland Lofts in Midtown - being renovated to house retail.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2346161.html

Stone pool park - 6 story retail/residential building

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-pool-park.php

Don't have links, but...
    How about that new boutique hotel in the old firehouse?
    The "recycled" hotel in Eastern Market?
    The Meijer and surrounding development at old State Fairgrounds?

Are you looking only for development projects [[new/renovation)? Otherwise, things like Campbell-Ewald moving could also qualify.

yeah, just development, otherwise it'd just be too much. i'll add the meijer, but it's my understanding that they haven't lined up financing on either of the other projects.

i'm trying to keep it to "real" projects rather than just announced "look at me [[btw pls help with financing!)" projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    yeah, just development, otherwise it'd just be too much. i'll add the meijer, but it's my understanding that they haven't lined up financing on either of the other projects.

i'm trying to keep it to "real" projects rather than just announced "look at me [[btw pls help with financing!)" projects.
    Yeah, the kickstarter one is probably premature at this point. The firehouse one sounds promising, but haven't heard anything lately. Last update was that they were waiting for approval from the city about tax credits. So we should be able to add it to the list in a few years
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...outique-hotel#

We also can't forget the Globe Building
    http://www.detroitriverfront.org/eas...park/globe.asp

Anyone who denies the FACT that Detroit is not making a comeback is bitter on the city and quite simply wants to see the city fail.

Avalon Bakery, especially the new BakeHouse, at Gratiot and Bellevue.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Anyone who denies the FACT that Detroit is not making a comeback is bitter on the city and quite simply wants to see the city fail.
    As has been stated many times, downtown and mid-town are making comebacks but as long as population continues to decline, public education is a mess, crime is out of control, costs exceed revenues, etc. the city as a whole is not yet making a comeback.

Matty Moroun added a 3rd window to Michigan Central!!!

But in all seriousness, the shipping container hotel is a pretty big development. http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ern-market.php

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As has been stated many times, downtown and mid-town are making comebacks but as long as population continues to decline, public education is a mess, crime is out of control, costs exceed revenues, etc. the city as a whole is not yet making a comeback.
    You've gotta start somewhere.

And these will help crime and education... how?

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    And these will help crime and education... how?
    Perhaps by re-establishing some of the tax base, for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Also, "natural crime defense" in which higher traffic areas elicit lower crime rates

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    While how many working class families leave the city per hour? One step forward, two steps back. Just follow those moving trucks out of northwest and northeast Detroit. Hell, even the Latino community has started leaving SW.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    While how many working class families leave the city per hour? One step forward, two steps back. Just follow those moving trucks out of northwest and northeast Detroit. Hell, even the Latino community has started leaving SW.
    One step forward and two steps back is a hell of a lot better than three steps back.

Here's an example. I was in a pretty rough Chicago west side neighborhood over the weekend with a friend and I overheard a girl sitting on the front stoop next door [[approximately 19 years old) telling her boyfriend that she was super excited because she has an interview with Macy's Department Store Downtown.

At first I felt jealous that Detroit doesn't have a department store Downtown but immediately afterwards my emotions went from jealousy to being a little pissed because these businesses DO make a big difference to their residents. The fact that this girl has no education but is fortunate enough to be able to hop the train to her Macy's Department Store job Downtown where she'll probably make a decent wage is something that Detroiter's should have the opportunity to have as well. I also know that she relocated to Chicago from down south, [[probably for the job opportunities I'd assume).

The Chicago retail and restaurant industries are supported by non-skilled service industry workers and If cities such as Chicago didn't have these businesses then what would those cities be like and what would their residents be doing? They'd be forced to leave where they live and in turn, those cities would be in the same situation as Detroit. They need each other. Businesses couldn't operate without local residents and the local residents need the employment to live comfortably. And in the end, all of this combined makes a stronger and more vibrant city...and adds to the tax base.

So every little bit helps.
    Last edited by illwill; May-22-13 at 03:19 PM.

Lowell [[or any mods), it's not letting me edit my original post.

I'd like to add the Avalon bakehouse, the Globe Building, the Meijer development, and the old Firehouse by Cobo to the OP.

Is it possible to turn post-editing back on for this thread? I'd like to keep it a running list. Thanks!

Eber... you can only edit for a set period... otherwise it's set in stone.

It's great to see that folks other than Gilbert are investing. I just hope folks that do work on urban-style developments, build and maintain streetwalls, and avoid campuses at all costs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast