Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    District Five [[includes Downtown and Midtown): Naomi Anderson, Adam Hollier, Willie McLeod, Attie Pollard, Yusef Shakur, Mary Sheffield, DaNetta Simpson, Brian White and Bonnie Warmack.

Keep your close eye on Mary Sheffield. He has some church folks from Horrace's D.A.B.O. group.

Got my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday. Only names on the ballot for District 5 are Sheffield, Simpson, White and Hollier. Mary Waters is also included in District 5, not 6. Really wish Keenan was running @ large.

Got a card stuck in my door the other day to write in candidate Charmaine Johnson for Detroit City Council, District 7. Have gotten cards for Bennett and Gabe Leland [[son of Burton Leland) also. Haven't decided yet who to vote for.

Saunteel Jenkins lost my vote when she was interviewed on NPR and said she was "surprised" by the bankruptcy announcement. Really, idiot, have you been living under a rock? You've been on Council how long, had how much time to look at the books, the pension boards are suing you, and you're mystified that the City is bankrupt? Go be clueless somewhere else.

Westsiders, District 7, FYI:
    this Thursday, 7/25, meet and greet [fundraising event] with District 7 candidate Dustin Campbell at Jovonne's Lounge on Greenfield btw. Chicago and Joy- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jovon...76026772431963
    $20 at door
    5 pm - 10 p.m. [[bar open until 2 a.m.)
    mr. campbell's campaign site- www.campbellforunity.com

It's a little strange but I have some familiarity with other districts and at large but am clueless as to district 5. Certainly would not vote for Mary Waters. Good lord, that scandal reeks of KK regime.

Any comments or recommendations.

I was pleased to open my email and got a notice that Messiah Church is hosting a district 5 candidate forum tonight from 6:30 to 8pm

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Saunteel Jenkins lost my vote when she was interviewed on NPR and said she was "surprised" by the bankruptcy announcement. Really, idiot, have you been living under a rock? You've been on Council how long, had how much time to look at the books, the pension boards are suing you, and you're mystified that the City is bankrupt? Go be clueless somewhere else.
    To be fair, a lo of people were surprised by WHEN it was filed, not that it was filed. The process was sped up when the pensioners filed in Ingham Co.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I was pleased to open my email and got a notice that Messiah Church is hosting a district 5 candidate forum tonight from 6:30 to 8pm
    Can't make that, but I am pretty baffled as to who to vote for in this district.

Other than Mary Waters [[no!), Mary Sheffield seems like the highest profile candidate out there. While I certainly respected her grandfather and his legacy [[although not so much her father), I agree with Honky Tonk that her slick website, which seems to lean quite heavily on her looks - and is otherwise semi-literate - is seriously off-putting.

I know little or nothing about the rest of the candidates [[although I've run into Simpson at some neighborhood things - not impressed), and doubt if most of them have any real chance. If it looks like she has a real shot, I may just end up voting for Sheffield though, if for no further motivation than "anybody but Waters."

Al, look into Hollier. He is a good, young, guy that has his stuff together and is part of the new breed of Detroit politician that wants to move forward instead of constantly bicker over old bogeyman like so many old school types.

I voted for him for State Rep without reservation, but he lost to Rose Mary Robinson, who is one of those union bought-and-sold old school types.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Al, look into Hollier. He is a good, young, guy that has his stuff together and is part of the new breed of Detroit politician that wants to move forward instead of constantly bicker over old bogeyman like so many old school types.

I voted for him for State Rep without reservation, but he lost to Rose Mary Robinson, who is one of those union bought-and-sold old school types.
    Thank you for the recommendation. He certainly looks interesting, so I'll look out for him. He may be hurt by being much less known down here in this part of the district. I'm not really sure how or why we got districted in with the old North End and the adjacent part of the west side - areas with which I think most folks around here are unfamiliar - but I guess the declining population of the lower east side just made it impossible for us to get our own district.

I grateful to Messiah Church for hosting this event. Hollier looks promising but so did Mr White. All 4 of the What 10/11 candidates that showed/ did make some interesting points.

I may upset a few folk with my next comments. The afro centric stuff turns me off. The ladies played that card heavily. Grated I am white, lived my life in a mostly black city,

We simply need bright astute people to lead. Color should not matter. I love my buddy in Mexican town who said I don't care if I vote for a giraffe if they can do the job.

I'm getting something of a clearer picture of who I'll be going for.

In District 2 either Bowers or Tugwell seem the most ready. Carron Pinkins is a strong third. It's a week away could still go either way.

I still have no effin clue who I'll go for at large. Probably won't be an incumbent. And certainly not Saunteel Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I'm getting something of a clearer picture of who I'll be going for.

In District 2 either Bowers or Tugwell seem the most ready. Carron Pinkins is a strong third. It's a week away could still go either way.

I still have no effin clue who I'll go for at large. Probably won't be an incumbent. And certainly not Saunteel Jenkins.
    The only 2 viable candidates in the at-large pool are Roy McCallister[[who seems solid) and Saunteel Jenkins[[who is a turd). Both of them got the Freep endorsements. The rest are a weird combination of uneducated, inexperienced, and goofy. If I had known the at-large pool was such a joke, hell, I would have run and could have quite possibly won.

Agreed - not Saunteel Jenkins.
    I can't understand Stphen Henderson. I thought he finally got some endorsement sense until I read the praise for Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Agreed - not Saunteel Jenkins.
    I can't understand Stphen Henderson. I thought he finally got some endorsement sense until I read the praise for Jenkins.
    Help me with my at-large choices what is wrong with Saunteel Jenkins ?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Yeah, I'd be interested to hear about this as well.

Same here. I plan on voting for her. What do those who don't like her have to say about her?

Don't get me wrong, she's not the worst person in the world. Given the field, I may have to vote for her.

However this has been one of the least productive councils I can remember. I know they didn't create all these problems, but they've stonewalled, or postponed indefinitely, nearly every meaningful piece of legislation that has come their way. This is especially galling given the fact that it was clear to anyone with half a brain that for the past three years the city really was going to be bankrupt. Mostly, I find her guilty by association.

However what really got me, as I stated earlier, that the day after the bankruptcy was announced, she was on NPR and said she was "surprised" by the announcement. It is just one word, but to me it screams to how clueless she really is. The city is broke and she and the rest of council have been waffling about nothing for 3 freaking years.

I'm going to vote for 1 incumbent, holding my nose, simply because he lives near me and we all know how these things work, and the rest can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Don't get me wrong, she's not the worst person in the world. Given the field, I may have to vote for her.

However this has been one of the least productive councils I can remember. I know they didn't create all these problems, but they've stonewalled, or postponed indefinitely, nearly every meaningful piece of legislation that has come their way. This is especially galling given the fact that it was clear to anyone with half a brain that for the past three years the city really was going to be bankrupt. Mostly, I find her guilty by association.

However what really got me, as I stated earlier, that the day after the bankruptcy was announced, she was on NPR and said she was "surprised" by the announcement. It is just one word, but to me it screams to how clueless she really is. The city is broke and she and the rest of council have been waffling about nothing for 3 freaking years.

I'm going to vote for 1 incumbent, holding my nose, simply because he lives near me and we all know how these things work, and the rest can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.
    I understand and appreciate the response.

Saunteel Jenkins got her start in politics when she was Gil Hill's girlfriend and he got her one of those incestuous jobs that the Council practiced with Maryann Mahaffey. Funny no one who worked around Coleman A Young remembers her being a "Chief of Staff" as she claims now that her boss is long-dead.

Then there is the fact that she was Christine Beatty's best friend and pretty involved in that Kilpatrick circle that was swindling Detroit voters, claiming huge expertise and hard work, when they were really partying with donated Krystal.
    Last edited by SWMAP; July-31-13 at 02:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2