Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A design by George J. Haas including an image from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

Grosse Pointe Park Municipal Building 15115 East Jefferson built in 1918 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Another Donaldson & Meier design.

Saint Ambrose Roman Catholic Church 15020 Hampton Street built in 1927 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

Also the owner of the Trek Bicycle Shop on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods is the son of the owner of the Schwinn Bicycle shop that was on E. Jefferson.

4. Default

IMO that area is the best place in the city for a residential investment. The housing stock is outstanding and the nearby stability of the Pointes offers shopping and other service much of the rest of the city does not have. Much the of the area south of Jefferson from downtown has been rehabilitated and that process will overtake that area next.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Also the owner of the Trek Bicycle Shop on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods is the son of the owner of the Schwinn Bicycle shop that was on E. Jefferson.
    Bill's! Where I bought my first Schwinn Stingray [[with the tubular rims... as hyped by Captain Kangaroo), circa 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Bill's! Where I bought my first Schwinn Stingray [[with the tubular rims... as hyped by Captain Kangaroo), circa 1967.
    He kept the building for storage after they closed Bill's but eventually sold after thieves cut a hole in the roof and looted the place.

Yes, I remember the first times I roamed Detroit in streetview and realizing this was one of the more interesting commercial streets in Detroit. There is a unity in the brickwork of that era that is really pleasant. I wish we could get closer to the type of quality of construction nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Cinderella Theatre
    13305-9 E. Jefferson Avenue
    Architect: Christian W. Brandt
    Capacity:1897
    Organ: Wurlitzer
    Built in 1924.
    Demolished in the early 1980's.
    The Wurlitzer is in a museum in Acme, Michigan up by Traverse City.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    This area is deteriorating like the rest of the city due to foreclosures. There are some bargains to be had on decent houses. I love the proximity to the river.
    Would you consider living in this area??
    Just wanted to apoligize to the OP, I guess he did get a little feedback to his initial question but it looks like we all hijacked your thread and took a trip down memory lane...But its been oh so enjoyableIts almost turned into a resurrection of the "Paradise Lost" thread from a few years back. Guess it just validates the value of the neighborhood and its potential for rebirth.

Creekside is a wonderful neighborhood. The riverfront Parks are outstanding in river views but woefully under funded. Just to be a tad snarky, Ronald J and I wrote Men Horsepower and Machines with Nick's research. He is an amazing speaker and a very smart man but we wrote the fucking book with minor credit given to us. Crap, I wrote the grant that made our historical society possible and the grant that made the publishing possible. Sorry, just venting. It is just so annoying having others credit themselves when we did the work. It is a great book by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Creekside is a wonderful neighborhood. The riverfront Parks are outstanding in river views but woefully under funded. Just to be a tad snarky, Ronald J and I wrote Men Horsepower and Machines with Nick's research. He is an amazing speaker and a very smart man but we wrote the fucking book with minor credit given to us. Crap, I wrote the grant that made our historical society possible and the grant that made the publishing possible. Sorry, just venting. It is just so annoying having others credit themselves when we did the work. It is a great book by the way.
    Nick? Did I miss something in the thread?

My guess is that he is referring to Creekside Homes that were built in Jeff-Chalmers. There's one of them built on the land where my house on Conner stood.

<<Anyway, a question. What was the name of the BBQ restaurant in the middle 1950s that was on the north side of Jefferson and a block or two east of the Cinderella Theater?slabs of ribs over a very large firepit. During the winter the windows were always frosty, yet it seemed the guys grilling inside were toasty warm.>>

That was The Hickory Log. My mom worked there as a waitress in the early/mid 60s

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sumas Here is my official kudos to you and Ron for an outstanding piece of work!!!. Actually I think you were the one in an earlier thread back in Dec that helped me find a copy of the book via the GP historical society so double kudos to you! I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly reccommend it to anyone interested in the history of early Jeff/Chalmers & Grosse Pte Pk.
    Cheers

Ya know some nice townhouses or old style aparments would be a great investment on the old site of the Trailer park/Marine Hospital and may breath some new life into her old bones. I saw an artists conception of some project that never came to fruition on here some time ago. My Uncle Bucky lived in the Trailer Park in very first trailer that sat on the water ajacient to the light House. The view from his trailer was spectacular and I loved to walk over there and visit as you could just about throw a line in the river from his door step if you could cast across the two lane parking lot!

I have very pleasant memories of jazz concerts at a park at the end of one of the streets at the river, back in about 1980. Even then, it was an effort to revive the neighborhood, and that was years before the scourge of drugs and foreclosures. I recall that the effort was headed by folks including Rory Bolger and Susie Keenan Bolger, husband and wife. Those were some beautiful days by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Ya know some nice townhouses or old style aparments would be a great investment on the old site of the Trailer park/Marine Hospital and may breath some new life into her old bones. I saw an artists conception of some project that never came to fruition on here some time ago. My Uncle Bucky lived in the Trailer Park in very first trailer that sat on the water ajacient to the light House. The view from his trailer was spectacular and I loved to walk over there and visit as you could just about throw a line in the river from his door step if you could cast across the two lane parking lot!
    I know there is a video of mentioned proposed development of the trailer park land. I cannot remember what it was called therefore I cannot find it.

The property is now available for investment however:
    http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...and_parks.html

That's a great picture of the Saint Columba building designed by Lancelot Sukert. Marvelous!

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I have very pleasant memories of jazz concerts at a park at the end of one of the streets at the river, back in about 1980. Even then, it was an effort to revive the neighborhood, and that was years before the scourge of drugs and foreclosures. I recall that the effort was headed by folks including Rory Bolger and Susie Keenan Bolger, husband and wife. Those were some beautiful days by the river.
    I was at one of those concerts at Angel Park, I remember the underside of my Frisbee getting quite a workout. Good times indeed. Last time I looked the park was overgrown and obviously Tommys is burned out and empty. The area is ripe for rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I was at one of those concerts at Angel Park, I remember the underside of my Frisbee getting quite a workout. Good times indeed. Last time I looked the park was overgrown and obviously Tommys is burned out and empty. The area is ripe for rebirth.
    Angel Park, yes! I couldn't remember.

A favorite of mine on Harbor Island.

Another gem at Essex and Chalmers.

Although this building is not contained in Jefferson-Chalmers it is in Fairview. An Albert Kahn design.

Central Savings Bank 14901 Kercheval built in 1925 Detroit, MI.

I grew up with a girl whose family owned the house at Essex and Chalmers until the 1970's. Her father was a lawyer and her mother a very classy lady. I remember being pleased and thrilled at being invited to her home for a birthday party and maybe a lunchtime sandwich or two. We lived just down the street but we did not have so much class. That home was very beautiful.

My aunt's home, also on Chalmers, had a beautiful raised alpine garden in front to which two sets of old french doors, one set on either side of the fireplace, opened.

All gone now; gone with the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    All gone now; gone with the wind.
    Gone with the crack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3