Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Another Sukert design.

Saint Columba Episcopal Church 1021 Manistique built in 1926 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit. MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A Spier & Rohns design. Lead architect Hans Gehrke.

W. J. Hiller Building 14350-14356 East Jefferson built in 1912 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Another design by Pollmar & Ropes.

14131 East Jefferson built in 1916 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What about the wee turtles? You forgot the wee turtles!
    Mr Tonk...How could I forget the turtles!! You have removed the cobwebs!!

A design by Hans Gehrke.

National Bank of Detroit 14555 built in 1925 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A Spier & Rohns design. Lead architect Hans Gehrke.

W. J. Hiller Building 14350-14356 East Jefferson built in 1912 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.
    Wow over a hundred years old! What rich history we have.

Designed by Fred Swirsky.

14700-14722 East Jefferson built in 1917 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Designed by George Mason & Company.

Jefferson Avenue Methodist Church 14456 East Jefferson built in 1952 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic District Detroit, Mi.

A Donaldson & Meier design.

Faith English Evangelical Lutheran Church 897 Philip built in 1921 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Designed by Frederick J. Winter.

14500 East Jefferson built in 1917 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

A design by E. C. Thulin.

Saint Amour Building 14111 East Jefferson built in 1920 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Dertoit, MI.

Attributed to Charles Agree.

Walgreen's Drugs 14400 East Jefferson built in 1929 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

This is a great little hardware store. The owner still lives in Jeff-Chalmers. I bought a vanity for my bathroom there. They brought it out and installed it the same day I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post

[I also remember those days when I'd head in that direction to visit the Fisher Mansion, where the Hare Krishna's had a vegetarian restaurant. It was lovely, what with the architecture, the food, and the huge peacocks that roamed the grounds in summer.]
    Govinda's was a great restaurant, and I'm a carnivore. Alas, it's been closed for many years.

A Talmadge C. Hughes design.

Century Lakewood Apartments 14230 East Jefferson built in 1925 Jefferson-Chalmers Histroric Distrcit Detroit, MI.

The Final Report for the Jefferson-Chalmers Business Historic District.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    [I also remember those days when I'd head in that direction to visit the Fisher Mansion, where the Hare Krishna's had a vegetarian restaurant. It was lovely, what with the architecture, the food, and the huge peacocks that roamed the grounds in summer.]
    A friend of a friend lives in Windmill Point. One of the peacocks, [[it HAD to have come from the Krishna Temple), moved into their neighborhood. The big bird would roost in her backyard tree @ night. It looked SO majestic flying up there, and sitting on a big branch. It roamed the neighbors yards freely, they would set food out for it. She told me it was living in their neighborhood for a couple of years.

Designed by George Mason & Company.

Jefferson Avenue Methodist Church 14456 East Jefferson built in 1952 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic District Detroit, Mi.

I was baptized at Jefferson Ave. Methodist Church by Rev Boyce and went to church there until I got married and moved away.

The block I grew up on was in the Fairvew district on the north side of Jefferson – bounded by Drexel [[west) Coplin [[east) Vernor [[north) and Kercheval [[south). As I kid I used to dream of owning the whole block and turning it into the biggest, best backyard playground for me and my buddies. I can do that today as that entire block is now devoid of any residential structures and only a small store/workshop remains.

Anyway, a question. What was the name of the BBQ restaurant in the middle 1950s that was on the north side of Jefferson and a block or two east of the Cinderella Theater? IIRC the southwest corner of the restaurant building was all glass where you could watch the guys grilling steaks and slabs of ribs over a very large firepit. During the winter the windows were always frosty, yet it seemed the guys grilling inside were toasty warm.

Anybody remember?

1020-1060 Alter all built by William Blakeslee between 1925-1926 Jefferson-Chalmers Business Historic District.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    I was baptized at Jefferson Ave. Methodist Church by Rev Boyce and went to church there until I got married and moved away.

The block I grew up on was in the Fairvew district on the north side of Jefferson – bounded by Drexel [[west) Coplin [[east) Vernor [[north) and Kercheval [[south). As I kid I used to dream of owning the whole block and turning it into the biggest, best backyard playground for me and my buddies. I can do that today as that entire block is now devoid of any residential structures and only a small store/workshop remains.

Anyway, a question. What was the name of the BBQ restaurant in the middle 1950s that was on the north side of Jefferson and a block or two east of the Cinderella Theater? IIRC the southwest corner of the restaurant building was all glass where you could watch the guys grilling steaks and slabs of ribs over a very large firepit. During the winter the windows were always frosty, yet it seemed the guys grilling inside were toasty warm.

Anybody remember?
    Think it was the Hickory Log. Remember Carden's Restaurant?
    Last edited by cla1945; May-16-13 at 01:14 PM.

Built by Frank Armour.

14418-14420 East Jefferson built in 1924 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

The twin to 14418 built by Frank Armour.

14510 East Jefferson built in 1924 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Built by Jerry Oldenkamp.

White Sun Chop Suey 14521 East Jefferson built in 1926 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Another Jerry Oldenkamp built building.

Platte Apartments/Sutton's Drugs 14401 East Jefferson built in 1928 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.

Esquire Theatre
    15327 E. Jefferson
    Architect: C. Howard Crane
    Capacity: 992
    Built in 1938
    Demolished in 1988

Cinderella Theatre
    13305-9 E. Jefferson Avenue
    Architect: Christian W. Brandt
    Capacity:1897