Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Thanks JimG, Brock7 and townonenorth. You guys have such cool resources!

Thanks for the confirmation on Hastings. I was excited to see also, in Brock7's 1928 directory, the address of my fathers record shop, 3530 Hastings. He did not open until 1945; however, my brother's recollection is that he acquired the storefront from a on older Jewish woman, perhaps widowed, who owned the store and was going out of business.

Brock's directory says that there was a "Kosher Grocer" there, in 1929, so it is possible that this might be the same store owner. Even if not, perhaps the store might have been handed down to another Jewish person, and maybe that could be the person from whom my father got his store.

Perhaps townonenorth might look in your 1933 list, to see what was listed for 3530?

Hastings is really quite bedraggled, even in those early years, eh?

This is exciting! Thank you!
    I'm not finding that in the list, I'm getting addresses across the street at 3531, but not there. I don't know whether or not that address was within the scope of their project or not. This, I do have though.Name:  Fullscreen capture 5262013 20906 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  50.4 KB

The book I have, is titled "First Annual report of the Detroit Housing Commission". It deals with the conditions of the area from Beaubien to Russell, and from Rowena [[Mack) to Vernor Highway. Of this area, it appears that the "project" only did what was then known as Site No.1, which was Rowena to Wilkins, Beaubien to Hastings. AKA Brewster projects, I believe.

These would be the low-rise homes, not the towers.
    Last edited by townonenorth; May-26-13 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I'm not finding that in the list, I'm getting addresses across the street at 3531, but not there. I don't know whether or not that address was within the scope of their project or not. This, I do have though.Name:  Fullscreen capture 5262013 20906 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  50.4 KB

The book I have, is titled "First Annual report of the Detroit Housing Commission". It deals with the conditions of the area from Beaubien to Russell, and from Rowena [[Mack) to Vernor Highway. Of this area, it appears that the "project" only did what was then known as Site No.1, which was Rowena to Wilkins, Beaubien to Hastings. AKA Brewster projects, I believe.

These would be the low-rise homes, not the towers.
    Wow. Yes, that location would be the Brewsters and/ or the Frederick Douglass Homes, the low rises. so does this rendering represent the storefronts on Hastings? I do see what looks like 3530, at the bottom, but I see it twice. Thanks!

Wow. Yes, that location would be the Brewsters and/ or the Frederick Douglass Homes, the low rises. so does this rendering represent the storefronts on Hastings? I do see what looks like 3530, at the bottom, but I see it twice. Thanks!
    The two numbers at the bottom are the new and "old" addresses, before the address changes starting January 1 1921.

The rendering is what was at that block that your dad's store was at. It looks as if it was all 2 story stores, with a shared balcony in the back, with stairs on either side of the building in the rear. Also there were three entrances in the front as well. Each store was 12 feet wide. Could have been one building?

Edit: I went back and re-read your blog, in light of reading this batch of posts. Now, the facts and figures listed in the book I have start to make some sense, in that they had some kind of war on TB, pneumonia,and infant mortality going on within this study I am looking at.. Your family, in the 1940 census, were staying at 666 Mack, apartment 31, but you probably know that. Here's a rendering of that place, while I am thinking of it.

Name:  brewster.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  47.2 KB
    Last edited by townonenorth; May-26-13 at 06:51 PM.

The two numbers at the bottom are the new and "old" addresses, before the address changes starting January 1 1921.

The rendering is what was at that block that your dad's store was at. It looks as if it was all 2 story stores, with a shared balcony in the back, with stairs on either side of the building in the rear. Also there were three entrances in the front as well. Each store was 12 feet wide. Could have been one building?

Edit: I went back and re-read your blog, in light of reading this batch of posts. Now, the facts and figures listed in the book I have start to make some sense, in that they had some kind of war on TB, pneumonia,and infant mortality going on within this study I am looking at.. Your family, in the 1940 census, were staying at 666 Mack, apartment 31, but you probably know that. Here's a rendering of that place, while I am thinking of it.

Wow, wow, wow.......I feel like I'm stepping into my own life.

Ok, so I'm looking at this rendering of the project homes; do you know where Hastings is, in relationship to the grid? Is it the row of structures on the left? Or would it be "above" out of the range of the picture? I see that "Mack" is written vertically, so is that Mack? Doesn't seem like it would be.

Yes, 666 Mack was a family home. But it was not my home. It was the home of my father's first family, and my older half-brothers and sisters. [[I am the product of his second family; we grew up in Highland Park). But my older half brother told me, in his emphatic way, the address was 666 Mack.

Yes, in my blog I talk about the quarantines for TB; my father was incorrectly diagnosed but "sent away" for months any way, loosing all [[this was before the record shop). My older half-sister apparently did have TB, at another point, and was quarantined for a long time, as well.

So where did you get this info about 666 Mack?

I am blown away....

Here's a photo, maybe you can somewhat see the storefronts. The man is standing in the door of the record shop [[my brother identifies him as not my father, but the barber next door). Looks like there are more than three entrances; there are three in the photo and I know one to the left, [[the barber) out of sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, wow, wow.......I feel like I'm stepping into my own life.

Ok, so I'm looking at this rendering of the project homes; do you know where Hastings is, in relationship to the grid? Is it the row of structures on the left? Or would it be "above" out of the range of the picture? I see that "Mack" is written vertically, so is that Mack? Doesn't seem like it would be.

Yes, 666 Mack was a family home. But it was not my home. It was the home of my father's first family, and my older half-brothers and sisters. [[I am the product of his second family; we grew up in Highland Park). But my older half brother told me, in his emphatic way, the address was 666 Mack.

Yes, in my blog I talk about the quarantines for TB; my father was incorrectly diagnosed but "sent away" for months any way, loosing all [[this was before the record shop). My older half-sister apparently did have TB, at another point, and was quarantined for a long time, as well.

So where did you get this info about 666 Mack?

I am blown away....
    This is where the census comes into play, for information on the family. Here's the link for the family as it was in 1940.
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....RJ:n1354898717

Hastings is directly above in the rendering I posted. Mack is to the left. Directly above this area on Hastings is where the shop was.

Here's a photo, maybe you can somewhat see the storefronts. The man is standing in the door of the record shop [[my brother identifies him as not my father, but the barber next door). Looks like there are more than three entrances; there are three in the photo and I know one to the left, [[the barber) out of sight.
    Three entrances to the upper floors, not the businesses.

Oh! Well, then, you're spot on as far as the description. Cool.

Oh! Well, then, you're spot on as far as the description. Cool.
    Just going by what was in the map grid.

Speaking of maps, here's site #1 before the Brewster Projects.

Name:  IMG_009.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  56.2 KB

Wow, thanks. This is a very clear grid.

Ok, so if the second set of numbers indicate that there were address changes on Hastings as well, why did it continue to be known by the old numbers, like 3530, as opposed to 634. Or am I interpreting this correctly?

Ok, so if the second set of numbers indicate that there were address changes on Hastings as well, why did it continue to be known by the old numbers, like 3530, as opposed to 634. Or am I interpreting this correctly?
    It's known by the new numbers. Old numbers are at the bottom of the listing.

It's known by the new numbers. Old numbers are at the bottom of the listing.

Ok, thanks. It seems odd that Hastings, running as it did, an almost straight shot from around the river, would have a need to be changed - all the way from numbers in the 600's to numbers in the 3,000's, as on the block we're talking about.

Do you know why Hastings was renumbered?

Just about the whole city was renumbered in 1921.

As answered by Brock7 on the Clinton St thread:
    THE NEW PLAN

Under the new plan, all streets extending in the same general direction will be numbered alike at the intersection of the same cross street, and consequently, if the location of a number is known on any street, the location of a like number on any other street extending in the same direction will also be known. For example: No. 4700 Second Boulevard will be located at the corner of Forest, and every other street extending northerly and crossing Forest Avenue will likewise be numbered 4700 at the comer of Forest. Another example: Bagg Street will be numbered 1900 at the N. W. corner of Twelfth Street, and every other street extending westerly and crossing Twelfth will be numbered 1900 at the N.W. corner of Twelfth Street.

Another point: All streets extending in the same general direction, no matter where they may start, will be numbered as if they did start at a common Base Line.

A separate number is allowed for each ten feet of frontage on each side of all streets, instead of twenty feet now in effect. Thus each entrance can and will be assigned a full number.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Just about the whole city was renumbered in 1921.

As answered by Brock7 on the Clinton St thread:
    Geesh! Sorry, I kept looking at the earlier posts, thinking that there had been an explanation; forgot that the Clinton St. discussion is a separate thread.

So yes, Brock already explained this; Hastings, like all the other streets, was renumbered in order to end the inconsistencies in addresses. So, I suppose that large jump from 600's-3000's was likely caused by the addition of numbers due to adding addresses for 10, rather than 20 feet of frontage.

Thanks Jcole.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5