Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The union will get her job back. She won't be able to work the bridge though. She'll be driving a county truck pulling one of those big flashing yellow light arrows. But when the arrow is supposed to point right she'll have it pointing left.

The Wayne County Department of Public Services’ Roads Division fired Wanda Williams, 45, a 17-year bridge operator for the county , on May 16, department spokeswoman Cindy Dingell said Wednesday. Williams’ annual salary was $29,966.00, according to county records.
    She had such a promising career. What would cause her to drink?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    She had such a promising career. What would cause her to drink?
    Probably the fact that she decided not to do anything with her own life.

What is the bridge operator's name? Any photos?

While the salary doesn't seem like much, the Wayne County Bridge Operators rack up an impressive amount of overtime if they choose to work it. In addition they were making $4 for every $1 invested in the 401k plans a few years ago. Not sure if that's true anymore. Not really a shabby job if you live conservatively and invest well.

Especially now with the city council approved NEFCO biosolids project going across Jefferson from the main wastewater treatment plant there is an operational case to be made that the WWTP would benefit from the bridge never reopening. Some reasons why and this is not a full list:
    Employees exiting and entering will be less likely to be hit by through traffic.
    [[I'm sure some of the high DWSD employee cost is long term care.)
    Plant vehicles etc. will not have to wait for traffic before crossing Jefferson.
    Fewer security checkpoints will be needed so therefore fewer security personnel and security delays.
    Those wanting the bridge to stay open more than they want their sewerage bill to not go up maybe should organize and contact their elected officials...it worked for moving the DRIC bridge site from downriver to Delray.

I will be totally content if the above post is completely ignored by all -
    this would probably be for the best - but I thought it should be mentioned. Very often there are government or corporate [[or both at the same time) entities intent on saving money or streamlining operations, but then the
    "little guy" loses out - the little guy in this case maybe being the Jefferson Street businesses in River Rouge or the residents of Delray that shop there.
    I am a fan of the bridge itself - especially with the nearby water tower it
    reminds me of downtown Chicago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3