Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Warren doesn't have a large amount of vacant homes. Houses that get foreclosed on are bought rather quickly.

Warren went from 180,000 to 135,000 because the baby boomers moved out and the parents stayed, where they're all building porch-ramps and slowing dying off.

Warren has its issues, but they're much, much less severe.
    The other reason, is the miles of closed, for sale, and for lease, small Mom & Pop machine shops and related businesses. I'm sure as those kind of businesses relocated to the Asia-Pacific, people left, looking for other places of employment.

I would like to know were they responsible for that big warehouse fire on Piquette in 2005. Had these guys worked for others who owned properties in Detroit and wanted the property to be burned down for the insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I hope this sentence gets those young firemen starting fires on the east side to stop. Through a set of happy coincidences, I found one of 'em.

Saw the vehicle he used in the parking lot of one of the firehouses, although I'm quite sure it is a winter 'beater' he only drives when the weather is too poor for his new convertible. Stupid MF actually wore his fireman's coat while starting a fire...and it was all caught on a security camera nearby.

This crap must stop.
    I hope this was reported. If you say nothing you'd be contributing to the decline of Detroit.

You are spot on. I agree whole-heartedly.

I am not the owner of the security camera recording, nor the property which was attacked. My 'stake' in this is only justice, from a concerned ex-citizen.

I have NOTHING of substance to bring forth to authorities, although I've sent leads to a few of the journalists I trust who may have investigative capabilities I lack.

But, I am continually on the outlook for this one particular vehicle cruising the 'hood in the wee morning hours. I almost messed my pants when I found it parked next to a fire station! It was backed up to the wall in a fenced lot, so I was unable to get a decent picture of the license plate...but it was the right color and vintage, and oddly TOO CLEAN for its age. Even the front wheels, no brake dust buildup. Just like in the video.

I won't reveal the make and model just yet, either. But if the video owner wants to make it public to shame them, and possibly identify them for further investigation...I haven't heard back from them about any follow-up they've done. They might be pursuing their own form of urban justice. If so, I don't want to know about it.
    Last edited by Gannon; May-11-13 at 08:29 AM.

I hope this sentence gets those young firemen starting fires on the east side to stop. Through a set of happy coincidences, I found one of 'em.

Saw the vehicle he used in the parking lot of one of the firehouses, although I'm quite sure it is a winter 'beater' he only drives when the weather is too poor for his new convertible. Stupid MF actually wore his fireman's coat while starting a fire...and it was all caught on a security camera nearby.

This crap must stop.
    I agree this must stop!! All those cameras all over the city!! Gilbert's nefarious reach is like big brother all over the city!!

Very interesting. I just did some research on the make and model of the >10 year old pristine vehicle used in the arson, as reported in the video from a few camera angles [[although none which would provide direct id through a license plate).

The car might be a rare version of a relatively common model. Could be why he keeps it so clean. Perhaps we have more on this dude than I previously thought.
    Last edited by Gannon; May-11-13 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I got breaking news for you - insurance companies make so much money it really doesn't matter. There will always be another disaster around the corner to give them license to jack up everybodys premiums.
    Absurd. Insurance companies HATE fraud. Its money going OUT. But you are right that it doesn't hit them in the pocket, so long as someone will pay the premiums. I think insurance companies and their actuaries are smart enough to know that they'll make more in Detroit with lower premiums, and higher purchase rates.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I got breaking news for you - insurance companies make so much money it really doesn't matter. There will always be another disaster around the corner to give them license to jack up everybodys premiums.
    Fraud costs insurers billions each year. And we all pay for it in higher premiums for home/auto policies.

Look at this one ring that racked up $5 million in bogus claims. Yes, insurers are profitable, but they would make even more money by aggressively investigating suspicious fires and denying false claims. If civil authorities are overwhelmed or lack the resources to thoroughly investigate, why can't insurers step in and be more active, since it's clearly in their self-interest to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Fraud costs insurers billions each year. And we all pay for it in higher premiums for home/auto policies.

Look at this one ring that racked up $5 million in bogus claims. Yes, insurers are profitable, but they would make even more money by aggressively investigating suspicious fires and denying false claims. If civil authorities are overwhelmed or lack the resources to thoroughly investigate, why can't insurers step in and be more active, since it's clearly in their self-interest to do so?
    Because they're making money, plain and simple. They don't care because, as stated, they simply jack-up the rates of those who pay, and will continue to pay. If you could find a way to hit the insurers in the pocket book, then something would be done. You only have a couple of choices, keep paying, or don't, and take your chances.

You are spot on. I agree whole-heartedly.

I am not the owner of the security camera recording, nor the property which was attacked. My 'stake' in this is only justice, from a concerned ex-citizen.

I have NOTHING of substance to bring forth to authorities, although I've sent leads to a few of the journalists I trust who may have investigative capabilities I lack.

But, I am continually on the outlook for this one particular vehicle cruising the 'hood in the wee morning hours. I almost messed my pants when I found it parked next to a fire station! It was backed up to the wall in a fenced lot, so I was unable to get a decent picture of the license plate...but it was the right color and vintage, and oddly TOO CLEAN for its age. Even the front wheels, no brake dust buildup. Just like in the video.

I won't reveal the make and model just yet, either. But if the video owner wants to make it public to shame them, and possibly identify them for further investigation...I haven't heard back from them about any follow-up they've done. They might be pursuing their own form of urban justice. If so, I don't want to know about it.
    Dude, this is SERIOUS biz. You're either talking insurance fraud, or arson for money, by someone on the inside. Either or, your right, it's no joke.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-11-13 at 09:56 AM.

Perhaps insurers are wilfully turning a blind eye to this sort of fraud, in part because their captive clientele pay higher fees, and get lower returns considering property devaluation in Detroit. There may be something to investigate there, in the same vein that the car insurance business is raking in more than its due, according to many on this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Dude, this is SERIOUS biz. You're either talking insurance fraud, or arson for money, by someone on the inside. Either or, your right, it's no joke.
    Yeah, I know. Video was taken in early March, I stumbled upon the vehicle in mid-April. I've fed this information along, but have not heard back any reports of action taken due any of it.

I have a copy of the security videos...but the QuickTime player in my MacBook will not play the CODEC. It was taken with a Samsung system, if that helps anyone.

If we match the wheels and rear lights of this vehicle, it may be a relatively quick match to a relatively low number of this particular model in this color. We might have probabilities on our side...something I didn't know until researching the car this morning.

I would like this to be resolved.

Yeah, I know. Video was taken in early March, I stumbled upon the vehicle in mid-April. I've fed this information along, but have not heard back any reports of action taken due any of it.

I have a copy of the security videos...but the QuickTime player in my MacBook will not play the CODEC. It was taken with a Samsung system, if that helps anyone.

If we match the wheels and rear lights of this vehicle, it may be a relatively quick match to a relatively low number of this particular model in this color. We might have probabilities on our side...something I didn't know until researching the car this morning.

I would like this to be resolved.
    Which CODEC is it asking for? Have you tried Windows Media Player?

I've tried to find out. It appears to play, but there is no sound on the recording as far as I know...and no image appears. There is a warning that it requires more software, but no specifics.

Haven't tried the Windows option yet. I don't have anything newer than XP on any hardware here.

I will try it though. Left that laptop at a jobsite...gotta go back later today.

serves em right

Use VLC to play the file. www.videolan.org

Even if it won't play it will tell you which codec was used to encode the video file.
    Last edited by samsonov; May-11-13 at 11:20 AM. Reason: More info added.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonov View Post
    Use VLC to play the file. www.videolan.org

Even if it won't play it will tell you which codec was used to encode the video file.
    Good call. That was going to be my 2nd suggestion.

If the VLC option doesn't do it, I have a Codec package for XP that might have what you need. It works for a lot of off-beat CODECs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree this must stop!! All those cameras all over the city!! Gilbert's nefarious reach is like big brother all over the city!!
    Fly's open....

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Absurd. Insurance companies HATE fraud. Its money going OUT. But you are right that it doesn't hit them in the pocket, so long as someone will pay the premiums. I think insurance companies and their actuaries are smart enough to know that they'll make more in Detroit with lower premiums, and higher purchase rates.
    Sure they hate fraud, so they'll deny some claims, the insured who is denies will sue, the insurance company will rack up astronomical attorney fees defending themselves. If the claim is over 10,000.00 and the company is out of state, i.e Allstate, State Farm ect, they can and usually do shift the case to federal court. It's usually a lose situation for the insurance company unless they have a witness who saw somebody strike a match so to speak.

I know all this and more, I've spent 34 years in the industry - before you call somebody's writing absurd you should really get a clue and know what the fuck you're talking about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3