Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

iheartthed I agree with you about closing Kercheval. Although many GP residents would consider Kercheval as a side street. The rest of the closures along Alter were all side streets yet GP has been called racist for closing them. Absolutely no difference between the streets closed along Alter and the streets that are being closed in PW. Personally I think PW should have blocked the streets decades ago.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-10-13 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Now the residents of University District need to get together to close off Parkside as the speedway from 7 Mile to McNichols. People actually try to pass me on that street, I've got a bigger vehicle, so I just hog the road.

haha...i was likely the one tailgating. lots of udm commuters use parkside to get from mcnichols to 7 mile then down to 75 north.
    Last edited by hybridy; May-10-13 at 11:25 AM.

It's all about reducing crime. More Detroit neighborhoods should limit access. When crime goes down, property values go up. And they should install speed bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    It's all about reducing crime. More Detroit neighborhoods should limit access. When crime goes down, property values go up. And they should install speed bumps.
    I don't think you'll find too much disagreement on this, but then what was the point of living in Detroit in the first place?

How is Palmer Woods different from the Pointes? In both places you have rich folks trying to keep out poor folks, because they [[are at least perceived to) threaten their safety and assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't think you'll find too much disagreement on this, but then what was the point of living in Detroit in the first place?

How is Palmer Woods different from the Pointes? In both places you have rich folks trying to keep out poor folks, because they [[are at least perceived to) threaten their safety and assets.
    Well, it sounds as if the neighborhoods are devising ways to make cutting through them unattractive. Not bad. I wonder how it's being funded, but ...

... maybe now the residents of Palmer Park, Palmer Woods and Greenacres will be willing to re-examine their support for the monstrous bridge-underpass at Eight and Woodward?

Default Traffic calming

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    I think I have to disagree. It is about traffic. But, I agree with you about speed bumps. I live in Rosedale Park, and I just met with my county commissioner last week about planning traffic calming on Fenkell. I'm not anti-car [[I own two) but I'm pro-safety and pro-walkability. I've done a lot of research over the last year on walkability, complete streets, and traffic calming. More and more people look at these ideas as being really essential for quality of life. When you look at suburban developments over the last 30 years, one of the top selling points is the cul-de-sac, and that is just a method of controlling car traffic. Yes, it destroys the street grid, and whether the cul-de-sac is the best answer is a question for a different discussion. But traffic calming DOES work in other places. It pushes the impatient driver to main roads or freeways, slows traffic, and reduces noise and danger. I'm all for it, and I'm planning to work to see it become the standard in Detroit, even on main roads. [[Let's see... it took them four years in Palmer Woods... okay.)

http://trafficcalming.org/

The only problem with speed bumps is if they do any kind of snow plowing in your neighborhood, it really wreaks havoc with the snow plows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2