Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I know I'm going to be labeled a naysayer, but they're hiring 10 people. Why should I be excited?
    Did anyone imply you should be "excited"? Perhaps, like most of the rest of us, you could give a try at simply being pleased that good jobs are being added and not lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    At a rate of 10 jobs, maybe my great grandchildren will see the finished product.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing when you change your perspective on things.

Detroit will never be as great of a city as it once was. That's just a fact. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Nothing will be able to replace the densely packed bustling metropolis of 2 million people, which included world treasures such as the Hudson's Department Store.

That doesn't mean your grandchildren and great grandchildren should be forced to live in perpetual purgatory because of the absolutely idiotic decisions our parents and grandparents made. They deserve to at least live in a vibrant, mid-size city [[similar to Pittsburgh or Portland) that they're proud to call home. If attracting start-up firms that only hire 10 people is what it takes for us to eventually get there, then it is what it is.

It sucks for the folks who weren't able to experience the Detroit of the mid-20th century [[and for the folks who experienced Detroit's downfall), but that's life, not everything's fair. You wipe the tears off your face, keep calm and carry on in whatever way you see fit.

If one is pro-Detroit, one must be pro-business to some degree, right? That doesn't mean one must dig strip malls lined with national chain stores. This leads me to ask, does Detroit have food trucks yet or has city council once again shown their aversion to small businesses by putting a kabosh on permits for such chow wagons that are so common out here in Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    If one is pro-Detroit, one must be pro-business to some degree, right? That doesn't mean one must dig strip malls lined with national chain stores. This leads me to ask, does Detroit have food trucks yet or has city council once again shown their aversion to small businesses by putting a kabosh on permits for such chow wagons that are so common out here in Portland?
    Detroit has had food trucks since I moved out here last summer. It's not just Portland; they are pretty common everywhere. Here in Detroit, there's Mac Shack, El Guapo Grill, the Beignet truck, Concrete Cuisine, Dago Joe's, and Green Zebra off the top of my head. They have food truck rallies here in downtown and up in New Center during the week, and there are always food trucks at Eastern Market on the weekends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2