Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the D the B posts. Great memories. Notice that there aren't any morning shows like that anymore? Funny songs, prank calls, audio drops, you know, creative stuff. I guess it's not in vogue anymore.

Even though I'm a transplanted Detroiter now living in Naples, FL, I still have a WRIF sticker on my car. Wish I still had a Kick Ass sticker but those are long gone...

Shollin Guest

That's on my parodies for charity CD. I also liked the phone calls to heaven and hell. I remember when there was a trade embargo in the Middle East and they were trading food and medical supplies for oil so Dick the Bruiser goes to a gas station and tries to trade cream of wheat and gauze for a gallon of gas.

Never missed the Drew and Mike show on WRIF. That's cause I never listened to it. Lame zoo radio.

Getting up at 3am in the middle of winter. Driving to the station to prepare for the show. Then going on and being lively and funny at 6am. Whether you liked their show or not, you gotta give them props for doing it as long as they did in a major market. Thats a tough shift but its where the moneys at in radio and they were payed well. I worked every shift in radio except that one. I was supposed to fill in for a week on morning drive and I bailed after 2 days. The Dick the Bruiser stuff was great. I really liked Bruce Martyr and Sid Disabel segments.

The thing is that they always watched all the sporting events which ended at 11 or 12. I wonder if they slept all afternoon. Woke up, watched tv, and then took a nap and got up at 3 am again.

Dollars to donuts they will end up on another station during the afternoon drive.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I agree with the poster above. Please just play me some nice music in the morning. I get more than enough of people's blather during the rest of my day.
    But the WRIF doesn't play any good music. All they play are the same songs by the same bands over and over and over and over. It's all pre-determined corporate mainstream mediocrity. What's wrong with a talk show in the morning? I strongly believe that Drew and Mike did the best they could with what they were allowed to do.

Terrestrial radio is garbage in general. I've been listening to Drew and Mike since I was 13 years old and they will be missed. They had their best years in the mid-late 90's.

The show began it's downward spiral with the FCC crackdowns and then Drew leaving for nearly 2 years. It never fully recovered. However, to be replaced by Dave and Chuck "The Freak" is pretty insulting. They are horrible, and that one guy has a fake annoying laugh that NEVER stops.

If they are going to replace a show that has been around for 22 years, you think they would go with good talented replacements. Drew Lane has always been a talented radio personality, and I hope he lands somewhere local. I predict the show will resurface on another station, or Drew Lane ends up on 97.1 [[because of his love of sports in general).
    Last edited by Bad Brains; May-12-13 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    But the WRIF doesn't play any good music. All they play are the same songs by the same bands over and over and over and over. It's all pre-determined corporate mainstream mediocrity. What's wrong with a talk show in the morning? I strongly believe that Drew and Mike did the best they could with what they were allowed to do.

Terrestrial radio is garbage in general. I've been listening to Drew and Mike since I was 13 years old and they will be missed. They had their best years in the mid-late 90's.

The show began it's downward spiral with the FCC crackdowns and then Drew leaving for nearly 2 years. It never fully recovered. However, to be replaced by Dave and Chuck "The Freak" is pretty insulting. They are horrible, and that one guy has a fake annoying laugh that NEVER stops.

If they are going to replace a show that has been around for 22 years, you think they would go with good talented replacements. Drew Lane has always been a talented radio personality, and I hope he lands somewhere local. I predict the show will resurface on another station, or Drew Lane ends up on 97.1 [[because of his love of sports in general).
    You contradict yourself. If their best years were the mid 90s and the spiral was because of "FCC crackdowns", will the FCC be less strict on other channels? p.s.... it wasn't the FCC...

At some point in one's career it's just time to hang it up. I agree that the prime of this show was about 15 years ago. Moving to afternoon drive time isn't going to make 20 year old "Ray and Pete" drops, daily recaps of "teen mom" and "Butt Mike" funny.
    Last edited by bailey; May-14-13 at 11:58 AM.

Their last show just started a few minutes ago. Listen here
    http://www.wrif.com/myriff_wrif.aspx

[[for some reason my time stamp is off. The show started at 6am)
    Last edited by Django; May-17-13 at 05:09 AM. Reason: ??

I'd welcome any change to the 97.1 morning show.

I've listened to sports-talk radio since the days of WDFN on AM.

I've never understood how Mike Stone has made a career out of radio. I've grown weary of having someone read to me the oddities of the newspaper and making morning radio out of it.

I flipped to WDET and stay planted there for most of the day. Maybe I've just outgrown the station.

For those who don't know... 99.1 CJAM at the University if Windsor is an excellent community station with some great shows on it. Some of the talent from when WDET was good, DJ there now. The station recently moved from 91.5, bumped up the wattage and have an omnidirectional antenna for better coverage in Detroit. http://http://cjamlog3.cjam.ca/

CJAM has been making quite a good name for themselves. I love that station.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You contradict yourself. If their best years were the mid 90s and the spiral was because of "FCC crackdowns", will the FCC be less strict on other channels? p.s.... it wasn't the FCC...

At some point in one's career it's just time to hang it up. I agree that the prime of this show was about 15 years ago. Moving to afternoon drive time isn't going to make 20 year old "Ray and Pete" drops, daily recaps of "teen mom" and "Butt Mike" funny.
    I didn't really contradict myself. Drew and Mike were still pretty good right up until Drew left [[in I believe 08'?). Their prime years I still think were 15 years ago or so. I do believe the FCC had a huge impact on their show and what they were allowed to do. I don't think some of their old bits from that era would have been allowed to air today, at least not heavily censored.

The last year or so of the show didn't really seem to have a lot of spark. Looking now I'm not surprised WRIF decided to go in a different direction, but they still had really good ratings. If they really are going with Dave and Chuck, WRIF is going to have to update their music, because those demographics don't seem to go together.

It's going to be weird not hearing them on the airwaves. For years and years they have always been good background noise driving or being at work, and this is coming from someone who really dislikes most terrestrial radio/talkshows.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    I'd welcome any change to the 97.1 morning show.

I've listened to sports-talk radio since the days of WDFN on AM.

I've never understood how Mike Stone has made a career out of radio. I've grown weary of having someone read to me the oddities of the newspaper and making morning radio out of it.

I flipped to WDET and stay planted there for most of the day. Maybe I've just outgrown the station.
    I agree. I can read the newspaper myself, don't need them reading it to me. Also they replay the same broadcast that was done the previous days or weeks ago for the first hour they are on from 5:00am to 6:00 am. It feels like they are screwing the listeners with re-hashed material. I like Valenti and Foster's show better.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-18-13 at 11:17 PM.

Somebody needs to bring back Parker and the Man!

This thread has been dormant for about a month, the perfect amount of time to let this all sink in. Dave and Chuck the freak have been on for some weeks now..... and every show is exactly the same. I never knew these guys were this boring and dull. Does anyone else feel the same?
    Last edited by jerrytimes; June-24-13 at 10:51 PM.

They were way funnier on 89X. It's almost like Wrif made them clean up there act they are not near as dirty or funny on WRIF

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    This thread has been dormant for about a month, the perfect amount of time to let this all sink in. Dave and Chuck the freak have been on for some weeks now..... and every show is exactly the same. I never knew these guys were this boring and dull. Does anyone else feel the same?
    they are awful. trudy daniels seems to be doing well at csx.

Drew and Zip were good, that's what it was in the beginning. Mike just had a bit part originally. Drew and Mike were at their best when they had TC on and actually played a little bit of music. I thought TC made the show back then. There's only so much you can do day after day for 4-5 hours. I thought they were still good for a while after that, but once they lost TC and quit playing music it was only a matter of time before the went downhill [[IMO). I quit listening more than 10 years ago. Just my personal opinion.

Most of the team is back 'on the air'. Drew, with producers Marc and Mike, started a new podcast.

They did their first one yesterday [[6/26), with plans to continue doing more. Mike Clark wasn't available for the first one, but Drew mentions that he'll likely join in for others.

https://soundcloud.com/mikewolters16

https://soundcloud.com/drewcast

**Updated link
    Last edited by mkhopper; June-28-13 at 09:58 AM.

Podcast.....hope they enjoy the pay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2